Coach Kim Leaves for Michigan

I wish her luck at Michigan, she sure deserves it. I am surprised however, this seems to have come out of nowhere.  

Wow, big loss for the womens' program, but not a surprise as they had great success and she was certainly on the radar. 

Wow, that stinks! Unbelievable that they let her get away...Terrible job by the administration and doesn't bode well for the athletic department as a whole...She deserved to be here until she retired and deserved to be paid for what she has done for the program...An absolute shame that this has happened

Wow, that stinks! Unbelievable that they let her get away...Terrible job by the administration and doesn't bode well for the athletic department as a whole...She deserved to be here until she retired and deserved to be paid for what she has done for the program...An absolute shame that this has happened

We aren't a money making machine. Only so much dough to go around. If Norm was here they could have kept here, but as we know he isnt. 

Congrats to Kim. Great coach, even better person.

Big loss for us. Probably felt she took the program as far as it could go.

She'll do great at Ann Arbor. 

Michigan is a no brainer.

Prestigious university, better facilities, an engaged student body, no more brutal commutes over the GW bridge from NJ, a lower cost of living on a relative basis, the ability to live in a great college town, and of course, more $$$$.

I don't know the number for SJU, but last week it was reported that Michigan's athletic depertment had an 11.4 million dollar PROFIT last year.

It's a much bigger jump in university.

Coach Kim did what is best for her & her family I can respect that.Good Luck

But The St.J's athletic Dept again See {Coach Mcquire & Lachick} let a Great Coach in their prime leave over salary
This woman took the bottom feeder Johnny womens program & made then into ncaa contenders over 10yrs.
The Tan man Moanasch should have given her a Big raise after this seasons run :yell:
Dont be surprised she wins a NCAA title at Mich :blink:

But The St.J's athletic Dept again See {Coach McGuire & Lapchick} let a Great Coach in their prime leave over salary
This woman took the bottom feeder Johnny womens program & made then into ncaa contenders over 10yrs.
The Tan man Moanasch should have given her a Big raise after this seasons run :yell:

Not ready to go that far. The last 18 years there have been just 7 schools win the women's championship. Its a very very very small elite group.

Not ready to go that far. The last 18 years there have been just 7 schools win the women's championship. Its a very very very small elite group.

Yes but now the game is opening up so that more teams are competitive. Not just Pukon and Tenn the way it used to be.

But The St.J's athletic Dept again See {Coach McGuire & Lapchick} let a Great Coach in their prime leave over salary

How do we know Moanasch didn't offer her a raise? I'm guessing he probably did.
Bottom line is even if we upped her salary, we were gonna lose a bidding war with Michigan.

One would think it was about more than just money, although it's a good place to start.

Certainly can't discount quality of life issues such as the commute from NJ every day or the probability of buying a bigger home with a bigger lawn.

Professionally, the chance to coach at Michigan is a big deal (obviously) and arguably is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Living in a beautiful college town (AnnArbor), and being part of one of the premier collegiate athletic organizations in the nation is not exactly the worst thing in the world. 

I don't think Chris had a realistic chance of keeping her at St. John's since this was too good of an opportunity for her and her family to pass up.

One would think it was about more than just money, although it's a good place to start.

Certainly can't discount quality of life issues such as the commute from NJ every day or the probability of buying a bigger home with a bigger lawn.

Professionally, the chance to coach at Michigan is a big deal (obviously) and arguably is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Living in a beautiful college town (AnnArbor), and being part of one of the premier collegiate athletic organizations in the nation is not exactly the worst thing in the world. 

I don't think Chris had a realistic chance of keeping her at St. John's since this was too good of an opportunity for her and her family to pass up.

She always spoke of her love for St. john's so this surprises me, though quality of life issues could be a factor, but they would be the same factor in coach Lavin's case. I don't know if the Michigan job is that good considering that it was turned down by 3 quality "area" coaches in Michigan. Certainly the Big Ten does not come close to the Big East in women's hoops. The former Michigan coach is leaving after getting them into the tournament for the first time in years. He is going back to Wisc. Green Bay so the grass is not always greener as Rich Rodriquez and Tommy Amaker already found out..
I hope this works out for Kim as her family will be disrupted, still upsetting for the little girl from William Floyd HS in Shirley.

Back