Coach Kim Leaves for Michigan

Since St. john's has found a way to satisfy the salary demands of male coaches who are successful in its non recenue sports, I hate to think that Fr. Donald J. Harrington and his administration believe that a successful women's coach should not be held to a lesser standard than Coaches Blankmeyer, Gelman & Mazur.

St. John's did not understand just how fortunate it was to have someone of the ability of Kim Barnes Arico.

Michigan understands how fortunate it is to hire someone of the ability of Kim Barnes Arico.

Otis, Michigan has an $8 billion endowment. St Johns probably understands perfectly well how valuable Kim was, but they're not going to win a bidding war with UM.

And even if they did, who's contract do you not renew to pay for Kim's bump... Lavin? Blankmeyer?
It's not as easy as saying "they should've paid her", as I'm sure you know.

Desco,

Please provide to me a cite upon which you offer the fact that Michigan was prepared to get into " a bidding war" ( your term) to hire Coach Barnes Arico.

It seems odd that Father Donald J. Harrington and his esteemed administration are able to satisfy the salary demands of Coach Mazur who it has been reported has been courted by at least one large public university yet fails to retain its most successful female coach.

Desco, it was reported that Hather Donald J Harrington did not attend even one men's basketball game for several years. New York papers also reported after Jarvis was fired that Fr. Donald J. Harrington said that St. John's may consider dropping D1 men's basketball. My questions to you are: ( i )do you believe that Fr. Donald J. Harrington ever attended a women's basketball game to show his support for the student athletes? ( i i) do you believe that Fr. Donald J Harrington even knew who Kim Barnes Arico was before she ltendered her resignation?

Thanks.

Listen to the new coach lauding Fr. Harrington for what he's done with the women's basketballprogram.

http://www.redstormsports.com/index-main.html

Since St. john's has found a way to satisfy the salary demands of male coaches who are successful in its non recenue sports, I hate to think that Fr. Donald J. Harrington and his administration believe that a successful women's coach should not be held to a lesser standard than Coaches Blankmeyer, Gelman & Mazur.

St. John's did not understand just how fortunate it was to have someone of the ability of Kim Barnes Arico.

Michigan understands how fortunate it is to hire someone of the ability of Kim Barnes Arico.

Otis, Michigan has an $8 billion endowment. St Johns probably understands perfectly well how valuable Kim was, but they're not going to win a bidding war with UM.

And even if they did, who's contract do you not renew to pay for Kim's bump... Lavin? Blankmeyer?
It's not as easy as saying "they should've paid her", as I'm sure you know.

Desco,

Please provide to me a cite upon which you offer the fact that Michigan was prepared to get into " a bidding war" ( your term) to hire Coach Barnes Arico.

It seems odd that Father Donald J. Harrington and his esteemed administration are able to satisfy the salary demands of Coach Mazur who it has been reported has been courted by at least one large public university yet fails to retain its most successful female coach.

Desco, it was reported that Hather Donald J Harrington did not attend even one men's basketball game for several years. New York papers also reported after Jarvis was fired that Fr. Donald J. Harrington said that St. John's may consider dropping D1 men's basketball. My questions to you are: ( i )do you believe that Fr. Donald J. Harrington ever attended a women's basketball game to show his support for the student athletes? ( i i) do you believe that Fr. Donald J Harrington even knew who Kim Barnes Arico was before she ltendered her resignation?

Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed-response Otis,
But I've changed my tune a little on this.

I do think Harrington knows who Barnes Arico was. But no, I can't tell you whether or not he went to any games, and truthfully it wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't.

I didn't claim that Michigan was prepared for a bidding war, I was just stating that they would win one if it happened.
Why Monasch didn't offer her a new contract or try to renegotiate when she was interviewing for the Michigan job, I don't know.

STJ should have offered Kim a raise. I don't know that they didn't, but assuming what you say is true - then that's a mistake on their part.

I just think there's a simpler answer to this. I'm not a fan of Harrington or Monasch, but rather than a conspiracy, being completely incompetent, or having an inherent bias towards women... I think it's possible that Michigan could just offer KBA more than STJ could.

Monasch isn't completely dumb. He wants to hold on to his job if possible, and I'm sure he didn't want to see Kim leave. But we simply don't know the athletic departments budget, nor exactly what her deal with Michigan is.

But I agree with you completely - if they didn't try everything in their power to retain her... then that was a colossal failure on the administration's part.

Update from  a source in the know states st.j's NEVER made any counter offer to keep Coach kim after she told them about the mich deal.

Great job again by Harry & TANman :yell: 

These 2 have No clue about Winning in college sports

Update from  a source in the know states st.j's NEVER made any counter offer to keep Coach kim after she told them about the mich deal.

Probably viewed her as another Franny-remember Lou called him Tescio for flirting with Arizona.

She was making 400K at St. John's.

For better or worse St. John's was not going to pay her 2X or 2.5X what she was pulling down. [/quote

I dont believe she was making 400k where did you get that figure from, is it publicly stated by the uiv.
why are you letting St.J's mistakes off, Kim was the best womans coach ever at st.js
the school continues to choose worse than better changes need to be made.  
I truly believe she was on the edge of glory bec. she started getting top 50 players to st.j's
St.j's univ is not poor & they better stop playing the pauper role!

Tough to give a counter offer when she signs the contract when she visited Michigan and didn't afford them a chance to.

That being said they would never have matched what Michigan was paying her, nor should they. ROI. Women's ball is just not generating revenue. Tough to pay an exorbitant amount for a sport that just isn't drawing.

They should have locked her up with a raise before she was called by any school 1st after ncaa's
next if the mens program was run correctly with a winner instead of the loser norm the garden would not
have been empty along with the checking acct during Coach kims yrs, here.
Moanasch needs to be fired he under paid her for yrs.
Facts are you dont let winners leave unless you dont care about winning excuses are for losers.
Harry & Moanasch LOST Again :evil:

For better or worse St. John's was not going to pay her 2X or 2.5X what she was pulling down. [/quote

I dont believe she was making 400k where did you get that figure from, is it publicly stated by the uiv.
why are you letting St.J's mistakes off, Kim was the best womans coach ever at st.js
I truly believe she was on the edge of glory bec. she started getting top 50 players to st.j's

From several credible sources both within and outside of the athletic dept. 

If you don't believe it, that's OK with me.

St. John's in your word's may not be poor. but they sure aren't rich.

Since you are complaining about money that the university does or doesn't have, can I "take it to the bank" that you do your part and write a check every year to support the athletic dept. ?

And buying basketball tickets doesn't count.

Part of the problem at St. John's there is too much bitching and not enough check writing.

From several credible sources both within and outside of the athletic dept. 

If you don't believe it, that's OK with me.

St. John's in your word's may not be poor. but they sure aren't rich.

Since you are complaining about money that the university does or doesn't have, can I "take it to the bank" that you do your part and write a check every year to support the athletic dept. ?

And buying basketball tickets doesn't count.

Part of the problem at St. John's there is too much bitching and not enough check writing.

It's time for many to put there money where their mouth is.

Other universities are able to pony up because their alumni care enough to support their alma mater.

Other schools have a great president & AD worth donating to.
Dont blame the alumni for their mismanagement.
They implemented a blackmail points system on very loyal season ticket holders
I belonged to red white club for many yrs & had season tics.not anymore ! These 2 clowns should run in the rodeo.
Why doesn't buying BB tickets count? :blink:   

Bingo, good sources DHJ.

For better or worse St. John's was not going to pay her 2X or 2.5X what she was pulling down. 

JSJ I love you man but the figures are grossly inflated.

It is time to move on from Kim.
Kim was the best Coach we ever had but like Coach Lavin she had a very good staff around her, a very, very good staff.
The most important piece of the staff, Coach Tartamella, is now our head coach and he was responsable for recruiting the very good talent to SJU and not Kim, and believe me I have no desire too bash Kim in any way.
I was ill when I heard she was leaving.
The strong recruiting should continue under Joe and as I mentioned earlier look for a major announcement on the recruiting front any day. We are just waiting for the press release to come out. Our local BE competition will be sick when they see who Joe snatched from under their noses.
Next season we graduate 3 excellent players and one player who has barely developed.
Joe has already gotten one key piece who will be eligible to play in September and had a 3 star wing from Georgia visit last weekend who should blow up over the summer who loved her visit and will be another top 100 player when the 2013 final hoopgurlz rankings are published. If she commits Joe will have replaced 2 of the 3 key departing seniors with 12 months to find a good combo-guard.
Believe me he will do it.

Magnificent article (7 pages) in THE WOLVERINE, University of Michigan's sports magazine, on our former coach . They are at www.thewolvrine.com. Along with some very complimentary and enthusiastic paragraphs about Kim, It includes her stated objectives and Michigans expectations and objectives.
U of M expects her to :
1....Establish UM as a recruiting destination (they have had no top 100 recruits in 20 years and have attracted 0 top recruits from Michigan)
2.... Even up the rivalry with Michigan State (they are now 18-59 Whew! I guess they noticed she beat UConn)
3.....Grow the fan interest (they attract 2500 to home games; 55th in the nation)
4.....Grow the programs culture (they are the least successful team in Michigan history winning 42% of all games)

Frankly, if she can beat Michigan State with some regularity all the other stuff will just be stuff.
They are very lucky people at U of M; they now have a fine, proven coach; a spectacular women's role model, one of the great PR assets in women's or men's basketball with her post game interviews with an infant in one hand and a mike in the other, and a wonderful university representative. I'd want my daughter to play for her. She will be missed here even though I think we have reloaded our guns for 2013. She has our best wishes.
Check the article out if you get the chance. She has a tough but wildly promising road to travel in the next years.

How did you know???? I should have said Grand Daughter (9) but I was thinking of those mom's and dad's in Michigan who always need reassuring. Check out the article, and, If you can, post the link here. Shooting my mouth off is the extent of my computer capabilities!.

Back