(Charleston Classic) Dayton, Fri., Nov. 17, 2p, ESPN2

When Dunlap gets in, the strategy is to immediately iso him on defense and go after him. That has had a 100% success rate. It may mean very limited minutes for him this season. Which will keep perhaps our best 3 point threat off the floor. Hoping a year in the weight room and getting banged around in practice will have him ready to contribute next year.

Look, we’ve seen improvement the last two games. Even if we go 8-3 OOC and 13-7 in conference, we will go to the tournament. As long as we can improve every game then I still don’t see why that is not achievable. Also, you know how the NCAA loves a story during tournament time. Pitino and St. John’s gives them that now. Even if we are a bubble team I think the NCAA puts us in. I know everyone on here will bash me for saying this but I actually think we match up well against every team in the Big East when I look at their rosters. Let’s go Johnnies!! In Ricky P. We Trust!!
13-7 in conference, that will be a pretty tall task for this group. We would have to split with some of the top 4 teams and hold service at home.

How you read my post as being in “the sky is falling category” is a mystery to me. I have a valid concern in the play and coaching (strategy) thus far. I haven’t seen the adjustments I would have expected from our coach. I think that’s a fair criticism.
I think RP complaining about team defense really means “ my Team collectively and several players especially are a 1/2 to a full step slow against most opponents .” We are getting beaten like a drum off the dribble and that’s hard to fix at this level .”

We also need to find a reliable 3 point shooting game . It was hard for us to come back against Dayton when they got the lead while still driving to the hoop for 2 points , which we missed far too often .

At the bottom line , our defense faded after 30 minutes and Dayton players like Holmes and Santos just killed us .

What's interesting to me is that in looking at the box score you'd think we would've won or it was closer. Only discernible difference was free throws. The lack of defensive stops when needed and empty possessions killed us.

What's interesting to me is that in looking at the box score you'd think we would've won or it was closer. Only discernible difference was free throws. The lack of defensive stops when needed and empty possessions killed us.
their fg % had to be a lot higher my guess

Just listened to the Pitino press conference. Seems like he called out every one of the starters except Daniss, in particular Dingle & Soriano and said none of them followed the scouting report. At some point, you have to take some responsibility for that kind of stuff. Hopefully they collectively get it right, it's a long season.

Agreed. Through 40 minutes of play, Zuby has 22 points, 16 rebounds, 3 blocks and 3 steals on 53.8% from the field and 80% from the line. I've been impressed by him and could see why Pitino wanted him so badly.
If we had another big to b/u Soriano, I would a start Zuby at PF…he’s athletic, appears to have worked on his FT shooting and can guard better than Ludlum.

I look forward to when dingle gets healthy/in condition/comfortable in his role, Jenkins and ledlum realizing they don't need to force shots to get us going offensively, and wilcher's quickness contributes defensively and at point. If these don't happen, we may have trouble being better than a .500 team in the BE.

Dayton is not a great team.
Bro I’m pissed off that we lost again but come on

Just listened to the Pitino press conference. Seems like he called out every one of the starters except Daniss, in particular Dingle & Soriano and said none of them followed the scouting report. At some point, you have to take some responsibility for that kind of stuff. Hopefully they collectively get it right, it's a long season.
Shocker

Bro I’m pissed off that we lost again but come on

What is a “great team” to you? They’ve already lost to Northwesrern and almost lost to LSU and us.

They don’t have any votes in the top 25 poll (42 other teams do).

Their starting Pg averaged 9 points at Merrimack last year as a freshman. That Santos kid that killed us averaged 1 point at Pitt last year. Cheeks averaged 15 at Robert Morris last year. All starters...all transfers.

What is a “great team” to you? They’ve already lost to Northwesrern and almost lost to LSU and us.

Their starting Pg averaged 9 points at Merrimack last year as a freshman. That Santos kid that killed us averaged 1 point at Pitt last year. Cheeks averaged 15 at Robert Morris last year. All starters...all transfers.
A great team is a team that wins their league. And they are picked too.

Biggest concern for me right now is the fact that, to a man, our guys routinely get beat off the dribble and are always chasing their man in which case the defense breaks down or they resort to using hands and get called for a foul.

That last line is important.

I dont buy the excuse that transfers, upper classmen, need half a season to figure it out.

Even if true, Dayton is figuring it out better than us so far.

He's not the problem,, but did any of us expect Traore to be playing 10 min/game under Pitino?

Even if we get better, won't other teams get better with time too?

Last edited:
Four games into the season, with 11 new players, and the team is inconsistent, not assignment sound on defense and uneven on offense. Who knew?

Give it until January, boys. If they still look disjointed, then panic. Team work is developed in going through struggles. This will be no different for St. John's. Trust in Pitino.

Back