(Charleston Classic) Dayton, Fri., Nov. 17, 2p, ESPN2

Perhaps but RP had a better chance to build those teams under the former landscape where kids committed to programs (blue bloods) and usually stayed. And while no one questions coach P’s resume, we have yet to see how he fares under this new “portal” landscape as we are all witnessing the portal situation does not guarantee a quick fix. And with the importance of OOC record for Dance entry, by the time this team gets its act together a Dance bid may be lost as we have no doubt witnessed in the past.
That is my biggest concern. Needing too long for coach to figure out roster and players to learn how to play for coach. We heard that w/ Anderson too. Good teams, (not even great teams) more often than not play well early.

Assuming more returning players next year, we're still going to experience much of the same if Pitino still needs to fill 3-4 spots with transfers and those transfers are to be impact types.

A win w/ Utah tonight will go a long way.

A bad loss here, and then beating up on Holy Cross, Sacred, Heart, Fordham, Hofstra & BC and hit or miss w/ W. VA will give false hope that we're well positioned for January-March.

Last edited:
Recruiting 5th year players was a deliberate strategy by Rick. While you are correct that these players are definitely gone next year, he has had more time to build the 24-25 roster and already has made progress.

I would also say we are in a new era in college basketball. The portal combined with NIL essentially makes most of your roster a 1 year commitment and even freshmen like Wilcher and Dunlap will reassess the market after this season.

Many older coaches especially really want no part of this added complexity of re-recruiting existing players each season and work within the confines of NIL budgeting. Any kid who busts out with a great season will want more NIL. In a competitive landscape of the portal, he can get it.

Two reassurances about CRP - his broad attention to even the smallest details, and his history of success tells me that he will figure it all out and we are on an upwards trajectory.

Hard for battered fans to accept the uncertainty but the uncertainty is part of the landscape.

Factor in that we are already competitive at top of market, a vast improvement over the last 30 years maybe more.
We have a great coach ,in all respects.

We have to suck it up when we hit some bumps in the road and
realize it's par for the course.

We have a terrific future, long overdue and deserved, so stick with Ludlum
not being able to drive and finish it , just temporary bumps in
the road . Even these bumps may be corrected or softened by January.

WHAT A FUTURE, SMILE AND LIGHT UP A WHITE OWL !

That is my biggest concern. Needing too long for coach to figure out roster and players to learn how to play for coach. We heard that w/ Anderson too. Good teams, (not even great teams) more often than not play well early.

Assuming more returning players next year, we're still going to experience much of the same if Pitino still needs to fill 3-4 spots with transfers and those transfers are to be impact types.

A win w/ Utah tonight will go a long way.

A bad loss here, and then beating up on Holy Cross, Sacred, Heart, Fordham, Hofstra & BC and hit or miss w/ W. VA will give false hope that we're well positioned for January-March.

It is a big concern but all of the top competing teams
will have the same problem to deal with .

Look how Calipari has dealt with one and done for years.
It's a good bet that the rejuvenated Big Apple Alumni will be just
as $trong if not $tronger than Kentucky's.

The stars are all aligning .

Perhaps but RP had a better chance to build those teams under the former landscape where kids committed to programs (blue bloods) and usually stayed. And while no one questions coach P’s resume, we have yet to see how he fares under this new “portal” landscape as we are all witnessing the portal situation does not guarantee a quick fix. And with the importance of OOC record for Dance entry, by the time this team gets its act together a Dance bid may be lost as we have no doubt witnessed in the past.
Agreed but i was responding to your concerns for next year not this year.

In the old landscape he would have inherited guys who weren't his type of player

We may or may not be a tourney team this year. That's a reality but I'm confident that whatever this team's potential is, CRP will get the most out of it.

Last edited:
Agreed but i was responding to your concerns for next year not this year.

In the old landscape he would have inherited guys who weren't his type of player

We may or may not be a tourney team this year. That's a reality but I'm confident that whatever this team's potential is, CRP will get the most out of it.
My concern is for next year as well. Losing 5 key players (4 starters) and being portal dependent next year may create the same scenario, the time needed to develop and teach players his system will once again require time, and time is not something we have when it comes to the Dance selection process.

The only thing I’m worried about regarding next year is that I’m still breathing.
Also the portal will not be the same in future years. There were a lot more one-year rentals this year and last due to the COVID year and because they just started the free transfer. In the future there will be a lot more freshman and sophomores transferring like Luis/taylor and those guys are unlikely to transfer again since the ncaa is not granting waivers (there will also be fewer grad transfers bc they aren’t sitting out after their first transfer so the grad transfers will mostly be guys that redshirted or graduated in 3 years). I think this will actually be good for pitino’s style/development.

How you read my post as being in “the sky is falling category” is a mystery to me. I have a valid concern in the play and coaching (strategy) thus far. I haven’t seen the adjustments I would have expected from our coach. I think that’s a fair criticism.
My bad, I think it is utterly nonsensical the criticism of all the armchair quarterbacks who choose to criticize and “advise” Pitino 4 games (now 5) into the season. I just chose yours to comment too but it was a general observation. As I said, my bad and no worries, it won’t happen again.

My bad, I think it is utterly nonsensical the criticism of all the armchair quarterbacks who choose to criticize and “advise” Pitino 4 games (now 5) into the season. I just chose yours to comment too but it was a general observation. As I said, my bad and no worries, it won’t happen again.
No issues. Please feel free to criticize my posts. We can have a friendly disagreement at times,

As Rick mentioned- that was the closest we have seen to a "complete game" this season- and for it result in a comfortable (nervous at times - what happens at halftime? lol) win- is very encouraging.

Charleston takeaways:
-got Dingle going- think we see a much more confident player going forward
-Zuby! looked a TON more competent out there! That will be huge for us
-LOVE seeing Wilcher standing and cheering on the bench. Having that attitude as a stud recruit is sooo re-assuring.
-Love Taylor- fantastic piece
-Jenkins - love him or hate him - we need him.

It can not be over stated how significant the Flyers home court advantage was and the role it played in the outcome. We shot 93% from the line 1st half, I was like who is this team and what have they done to the Johnnies, and 40% 2nd half shooting straight into their band and cheerleaders who were flat out causing misses. Tons of credit to Houston. They must have been real good to overcome it.

I'm nobody's apologist nor does he need me to be ...in respect to Jordan it's clear he looks out of sorts. Rick loved his drop down to cover the post on a switch steal yesterday as well as his drive and dish to Joel ... he missed so much time both running the system and getting shots up. He's thinking offensively instead of reacting. Coach wants him to rebound more. Pass more. Play better defense. When he gets his feel back and the spacing and offensive communication improves he will be fine. RJ's shooting and slashing from the wing will also immensely help him. Long season. Big game today enjoy everyone
Sju79 -

If you're open/able to share, I'm curious and would appreciate you're thoughts on Dingle's progress one month later ftom the feedback aboveand what you expect to see w/ Dingle as we get into conference play...

Thx!

Back