(Charleston Classic) Dayton, Fri., Nov. 17, 2p, ESPN2

I was impressed by how well Dayton attacked our defense. Exhibit A was clearing out a side of court and isolating Holmes their mobile big outside against a slower Joel to either take it to rack or dump to open guys. For some reason we did not help Joel to get Holmes to cough up the ball, so Dayton staff kept it up. All in all, Dayton is well coached.
If you heard some maniac yelling "RUN SOMEBODY AT HIM!" on your TV as their big guy backed Joel down over and over, that was me. They finally doubled him with about 2:30 left in the game, after the damage had been done. Absolute coaching malpractice.

NGL, Pitino has really done some head scratchingly dumb things early in the season. I hope it really is 7 level chess that we mere mortals can't understand, but boy am I not understanding it right now.

Perhaps offensively with Luis out. But in no way are we where we should be defensively by allowing 50 second half points to an A 10 school with their starting point guard out for the season. After all, Mike Anderson isn’t coaching the team. I expected more defensively at this point in time.
Post is spot on. Allowing 50 second half points is abysmal. The team seems to lose their focus coming out of the locker room at the half. They are in college, so I don’t want to hear about them being tired. Perhaps RP starts the second half not using all of our starters. I am not suggesting sitting all starters but perhaps 2-3. Maybe sitting for a w minutes to start the second half refocuses them.

If you heard some maniac yelling "RUN SOMEBODY AT HIM!" on your TV as their big guy backed Joel down over and over, that was me. They finally doubled him with about 2:30 left in the game, after the damage had been done. Absolute coaching malpractice.

NGL, Pitino has really done some head scratchingly dumb things early in the season. I hope it really is 7 level chess that we mere mortals can't understand, but boy am I not understanding it right now.
Better watch out or the Pitino posse will come after you. 🤪 Look we all acknowledge Pitino is a great coach with an outstanding resume but even the best coaches are not infallible. And yes if Holmes was beating Soriano regularly, why not double him, or throw in some zone etc? But again we may not know the master plan. Perhaps Pitino wants them to win or lose with man to man D and going zone at this point in time may be counter productive to the overall plan. With any other coach, I would be questioning the hell out of some things that are going on but this is coach Pitino, his resume requires us to trust his process.

Let’s talk about some positives…..

1. Zubys performance. Not only collected a few boards but looked to score even against Holmes and got 9 points in 11 minutes of play…. Very encouraging.
2. Dingle out of the gate started strong and looked to score in contrast to the day before against North Texas.
3. Taylor played tough D and mix it up u derneath.
4. The first half was promising.
5. Soriano looked more offensive minded out of the gate and the team actually looked for him.

I don’t think this is true. Michigan, Dayton, and Utah are not bad losses now and I doubt they will be at the end of the season either. Now, it may be hard to make the tournament just because the team isn’t playing well, but I don’t think losing to Utah in a neutral court will keep them out of the tourney or increase the difficulty substantially.
RP a great coach, but he had to put a team together in 10 minutes. The pieces dont fit yet. To go 11&9 and win a game in BE tourn we gotta figure he's got really good players and he did the best coaching job ever. When I watch these guys go up and down the court I cant believe that they"re that coachable. They're wild and then they get out of gas. I do believe rick a great coach and next year might have the team he wants. If coach was bringing in players to play in BE would he have 3 maac players on the team? When mike lost 7 players he brought in team like these guys minus the kid from NC.

If we knew that Joel needed help, then a hof'er knew as well. Maybe a leason to him to get better on defense? There had to be a lesson right?

That's my only guess.

I'm definitely disappointed, but let's face it - some of this isn't very surprising. We've got guys from low-mid majors (and that's what the Ivy League is) who we expected a lot from. They probably are not as good as advertised.

Dingle will probably be pretty good, but he's not a 20ppg scorer in the Big East. He doesn't play Pitino level defense either. I saw the post a few pages ago saying that he may turn into Hatten/Hardy. Sorry, not happening. Hatten was terrific the first time he put on the uniform, and Hardy just needed Lavin to put the ball in his hands. Dingle isn't close to either of them.

Ledlum will probably be a rotation piece - depth in the front court to give Joel/Zuby a blow or in case of foul trouble. He just doesn't have the quickness to be a major contributor.

I want to see more Wilcher at the point, and a lot more of Taylor. Taylor was a starter and contributor on a team in a Power 5 conference - this level of athleticism is not a surprise to him.

How about a small lineup? I'd like to see more Wilcher at the 1, Jenkins at the 2, Dingle at the 3, Taylor at the four and Soriano in the middle. If we need more size, go with Zuby and then one of the guards sits. Ledlum as a bench piece for limited minutes. Alleyne and Dunlap if we need shooters. If Luis is decent, then that gives us more options.

This team is going through growing pains right now, but once Pitino tightens up the rotation we'll be a lot better. Give it some time.

RP a great coach, but he had to put a team together in 10 minutes. The pieces dont fit yet. To go 11&9 and win a game in BE tourn we gotta figure he's got really good players and he did the best coaching job ever. When I watch these guys go up and down the court I cant believe that they"re that coachable. They're wild and then they get out of gas. I do believe rick a great coach and next year might have the team he wants. If coach was bringing in players to play in BE would he have 3 maac players on the team? When mike lost 7 players he brought in team like these guys minus the kid from NC.
A lot of reality in your post . But , a little bit of denial as well .

RP picked a team quickly . Yes , true . He was intent on bringing as many Iona players as possible with him . That was easy but , in hindsight what did it do but , add his Iona players to our team to replace those who left .

He got Jenkins , missed out on Clayton but , brought in Slasinski , Cruz, Ayo . At this point , only Jenkins is playing significantly at this level .
Slasinski leaving in late summer when Ledlum opted out at Tennessee might have been questionable . Slasinski has played well at WVU and had skills that RP acknowledged would be a loss to the team .

RP did a great job in getting Luis Taylor and Zuby here via portal and grabbed a blue chipper in Wilcher and potentially a very good player in Dunlap . Dunlap might need more time than Wilcher at this point.

Conway was a local Conn kid with good numbers and attitude from VMI . He was brought in as Bench Strength .

RP had to work real hard to get Dingle and Ledlum . And , we as fans believed we would see the same numbers as they put up at Penn and Harvard . They would , with Soriano and Jenkins be the core of the team . The big contributors .

Maybe RP over estimated both these Ivy Leaguers ? It’s possible . He’s not infallible .

As for the idea that bringing in all these new players is a reason for a disappointing start doesn’t hold water . All of the teams that we have played and will play all had to use the Portal and bring in new players . It’s part of the game today . Coaches need to choose wisely .

I am curious why Alleyne isn’t getting more time . And , I’m surprised that more posters aren’t questioning that ? He’s got a Resume at Va Tech and UCOnn that speaks volumes on his ability to play at this level and play well ? Is he injured ?

It will be interesting to see how Luis is inserted into the line up when he’s recovered enough to play . Sure he’s going to be a little rusty at first and not at full strength but , he’s athletic , can shoot and defend . Many have said , he might be the teams best player , when healthy .

What CRP had to do as far as putting a team together is unprecedented! Let’s have this conversation in a month to see where they are from where they started.
Ok . Good point . But , he knew that and knew he needed to bring in some impact players . Has he ?
Ledlum and Dingle were advertised to be those players . Will they be in January ?

What CRP had to do as far as putting a team together is unprecedented! Let’s have this conversation in a month to see where they are from where they started.
Yeah, just gotta wait for then to be good, Ok hope they're over this by the Xavier game, because if not then they'll start 0-2 with the next game at UConn, and at 0-2 it would be another start.

Lets avoid that.

He didn’t have to out together a team in one month. He chose to put together a team because his arrogance and telling quality proven BE players to leave as “they didn’t fit his system”. His system has looked great the past two weeks

I am curious why Alleyne isn’t getting more time . And , I’m surprised that more posters aren’t questioning that ? He’s got a Resume at Va Tech and UCOnn that speaks volumes on his ability to play at this level and play well ? Is he injured ?
There is no way this team is as good as the two Va Tech teams he averaged 30 minutes for his soph and junior years. Those teams were in the top 25 and he won the ACC his junior year.

The problem is that he is completely reliant on others to set him up. Every shot in his highlights comes off of drive and kicks, extra passes, and inside-out looks. We don’t do any of that right now. His soph year his PG was a demon getting in the lane and kicking to him and he shot 40.8% from 3. That team finished in the AP Top 25.

More than half of his shots have come off the bounce this year and he’s still shooting 33.3% from deep. By the time this team figures out he needs to be getting 5 looks a game it might be too late.

Luis offers me some hope because he can drive and kick.

What are you some of you in here thinking. Its literally game 4 of the season with a team that is brand new and a few of our starters were injured up until a few weeks ago. Some of you are second guessing Pitino who by the way has won EVERYwhere including IONA. Granted he is NO MIKE ANDERSON who never had a losing record lol but i guess he will do lol.
Sim is a better player at point then jenkins from what i can see, but jenkins isnt as horrible as some of you tend to believe. From what i see this team has improved after each game playing more defense on thursday and friday was a great game to watch. Just think of what our team last year would of done against drayton or even michigan?
So just relax . Even when the Yankees were winning world series they always stunk in april. and yes Pitino is our version of a World Series coach.
(From one reputable College basketball resource)

His (Pitino’s) first team at Kentucky went 14-14. The next went 22-6, winning the Southeastern Conference. His first team at Louisville went 19-13. The next went 25-7, landing an NCAA Tournament bid. His first team at Iona went 12-6 in a COVID-shaped season. His next went 25-8, winning the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

Time will tell.
I bet most of us are fine with

(From one reputable College basketball resource)

His (Pitino’s) first team at Kentucky went 14-14. The next went 22-6, winning the Southeastern Conference. His first team at Louisville went 19-13. The next went 25-7, landing an NCAA Tournament bid. His first team at Iona went 12-6 in a COVID-shaped season. His next went 25-8, winning the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

Time will tell.
I bet most of us are fine with
We were hoping to avoid that with the transfer portal era. He hand-picked 12 guys and has 6 5th-year seniors.

If we were losing with freshmen and sophomores I think all reasonable fans would be more understanding.

We were hoping to avoid that with the transfer portal era. He hand-picked 12 guys and has 6 5th-year seniors.

If we were losing with freshmen and sophomores I think all reasonable fans would be more understanding.
This

There is no way this team is as good as the two Va Tech teams he averaged 30 minutes for his soph and junior years. Those teams were in the top 25 and he won the ACC his junior year.

The problem is that he is completely reliant on others to set him up. Every shot in his highlights comes off of drive and kicks, extra passes, and inside-out looks. We don’t do any of that right now. His soph year his PG was a demon getting in the lane and kicking to him and he shot 40.8% from 3. That team finished in the AP Top 25.

More than half of his shots have come off the bounce this year and he’s still shooting 33.3% from deep. By the time this team figures out he needs to be getting 5 looks a game it might be too late.

Luis offers me some hope because he can drive and kick.
Alleyne averaged 18 minutes last season playing with the NCAA Champion.
He is playing 13.5 minutes this season with us.
Odd.

Back