Bubble Watch

When Louie was coaching, there were a few years where we got into the tourney because of the higher ratings we brought to the network. We were a bubble team but Louie brought star power. A few times, all the staff would gather in Lou’s office around 5 pm to wait it out. BUT we had an inside edge….Asst Coach Ron Rutledge had a friend who worked for CBS Sports and he was on set in NYC each year. About 10 minutes before the Selection Sunday broadcast, Rutledge would get a phone call informing him if we got in and our opponent. In those days they had to do the graphics about 30 mins prior to broadcast. I lost many a bet to Rutledge on his inside info.
After the selection show we would ALWAYS head to Dante’s Restaurant to celebrate. Back then there was no watch party with the players. I think the first coach to do that was Fran and we took the team into NYC at the old ESPN Zone in Times Square and had all the local stations would be present to interview Felipe and other players and Fran.

When Louie was coaching, there were a few years where we got into the tourney because of the higher ratings we brought to the network. We were a bubble team but Louie brought star power. A few times, all the staff would gather in Lou’s office around 5 pm to wait it out. BUT we had an inside edge….Asst Coach Ron Rutledge had a friend who worked for CBS Sports and he was on set in NYC each year. About 10 minutes before the Selection Sunday broadcast, Rutledge would get a phone call informing him if we got in and our opponent. In those days they had to do the graphics about 30 mins prior to broadcast. I lost many a bet to Rutledge on his inside info.
Call Ron Rutledge now and see if he still has any friends in Indianapolis. 😁

And whoever survives that detonation, will not survive aftershocks when the committee adds, “they also have an all BE conference tournament performer in Jenkins who is the engine of the team, playing at a very high level.”
I for one would survive both and I’m sure so would many others of us. I’ve always remained high on RJ and acknowledged DJ as our best player having the best season. Fully supported both all season.

The thing working in our favor when it comes to us vs SH is we are clearly the better team RIGHT NOW, but if committee looks hard at full body of work I’m concerned
Eh, I’m not with them. The OOC losses and blowouts throughout the year hurt the resume. I’m more concerned about another team from another league knocking us off.

For those who cannot bear being left out of the Tournament … 1-800- Tears

For those who are ecstatic about being in
1-800- God Bless

If the 2019 Mullin team (who finished terribly and wound up one game above last place in the conference) made it to the play-in game in Dayton, then this team is a mortal lock. I realize this a different year, with different Bubble dynamics but there is no way that if we were in the Big 12 we would have finished below Oklahoma.

We deserve to get in and any other result would simply be wrong! Personally I am not worried. I believe we are in the tournament, at least as far as the games in Dayton are part of the real tournament.

Right now my biggest concern is us getting a win in Dayton on Tuesday or Wednesday, so that we can make it in to the field of 64 to play in the body of the tournament on Thursday and Friday.

This is how tonight’s conversation will go down

6:00pm Nathalie gets home

Nat “ are you watching that basketball selection thing ? “

Me “ yes now leave me alone to concentrate “

Nat “ Concentrate on what ? Every single team you said you needed to lose last night won “

Me “ I know but… “

Nat “ I know it’s St Patrick’s but wtf are you doing wearing a Mandalorian Green Baby Yoda Tee shirt that’s 3 sizes too small “

Me “ I borrowed it from Paulie our tenant he’s huge star wars and spin off fan and he’s 5ft 4 this is his biggest shirt “

Nat “ But wtf are you wearing it. You look ridiculous in it. It looks like it might rip “

Me “ Because I’m channeling my inner Grogu and using Jedi mind tricks on the ncaa selection committee “

Nat “ was this your idea or your St John’s internet friends idea ? “

Back