Bubble Watch

I’m talking about the next round where we beat seton hall and jumped them.

Not a guarantee we beat Marquette to advance to the semis. The win we really needed to have a chance is the Seton Hall win. Of course winning in the semi’s vs creighton or uconn would have bolstered our chances significantly but we’d have no chance if we never got there in the first place.
I don’t know. To me a Marquette win is better than a seton hall win. Which in that scenario crushing DePaul again adds another win for optics.

I don’t know. To me a Marquette win is better than a seton hall win. Which in that scenario crushing DePaul again adds another win for optics.
Marquette minus Kolek is still probably a better win than SHU, but also more difficult. I also would not have felt comfortable being on the bubble with a team that swept us. Its good we beat them once.

Is it as likely though? And does it also hurt one of our main bubble competitors chances at the same time?

Not saying your idea is crazy. Just that it’s not obvious imo

Playing perhaps best team in nation toe to toe with huge viewing audience has far better impact than any playing any other BE team imo.

This is all about showing the hoops world this is a program on the rise. Lose a great battle, but win the war seems applicable. Rick will get this program in the hunt for final fours in his tenure. He may not get golden ring, but just being seriously in the conversation is nothing I ever considered feasible considering the rut we have been in since Hoover administration. 😇

This is also why I still don't feel 100% comfortable yet. We're all assuming Providence is out. Unfortunately for them, I do think they're out because some of these wins will be discounted since Hopkins is out for the year. But, we really don't have more than one great win to hang our hat on.

Marquette minus Kolek is still probably a better win than SHU, but also more difficult. I also would not have felt comfortable being on the bubble with a team that swept us. Its good we beat them once.
It’s a good thing we beat SHU. Without that win we would be out. I’m still nervous.Although I believe we are in.

St John’s obviously did everything it could over the last 3 weeks (short of beating UConn) to put itself in position to have a chance. Great effort to turn it around. We’re sweating because of the opportunities that were lost earlier in the year (Xavier, BC, both Seton Hall games, all the leads that turned into close losses, etc) May end up being just one mistake too many.

I personally think the Big East gets disrespected and that St John’s, Hall & Prov should all be in but the process is what it is. I think we’re clearly in danger of being left out but there’s hope. Definitely need a couple of these games to break our way today 🤞

For today a handful of games matter to us:

Florida over Texas A&M - A&M is likely in but perhaps with a loss here it makes them a candidate for Dayton again. Never know what the committee is thinking so let’s go Clayton Jr

FAU over Temple - FAU is two wins away from creating an extra bubble spot (USF is listed as auto bid on most brackets), they get to play Cinderella story Temple who have been investigated for point shaving this year but are now making a run in the AAC tourney

San Diego St over New Mexico - this one’s obvious, NM is right near us on the bubble so I’d love a loss here

UNC over NC state - Tar Heels can save the bubble from shrinking a spot

Colorado over Oregon - the Buffaloes can do the same

Looking at this, I feel like we’re in as long as we can get those Colorado/UNC wins tonight

Ughhh tonight’s going to be interesting

Nathalie “ I thought you went to the St. John’s game last night “

Me “ I did “

Nathalie “ so what the hell are you watching that’s not the Knick’s or rangers “

Me “ I’m watching these basketball games rooting for teams to lose to help St. John’s get in the tournament “

Nat “ but you said after the seton hall game you were in “

Me “ I did but…. “

Nat “ are these your internet friends freaking you out right now “

Me “ yeah but….. “

Nathalie “ no but…. Let’s go out to dinner somewhere without a tv “

Back