Bubble Watch

Man Wazzu just couldn't make an open 3 all night. Colorado win is obviously less than ideal and the whole P12 runout could be the nut low if Oregon beats them tomorrow. Glad that league is dissolving.

So we go from rooting for NC State tonight to rooting against them tomorrow and rooting against Colorado tonight to rooting for them tomorrow. This is March.

Man Wazzu just couldn't make an open 3 all night. Colorado win is obviously less than ideal and the whole P12 runout could be the nut low if Oregon beats them tomorrow. Glad that league is dissolving.

So we go from rooting for NC State tonight to rooting against them tomorrow and rooting against Colorado tonight to rooting for them tomorrow. This is March.
Wazzu couldn't hit open treys. Ugly basketball.

Good luck to Colorado state but I’m basketball’d out for the night

Talk to yall tomorrow as we continue to stress over this :)

Would classify this as a bad night overall for us. Marquette and the ACC results saved it from being a complete disaster.

If we get in we’re almost certainly heading to Dayton. If the worst case scenario happens tomorrow we might be staring at a last team in or first team out sweat on Sunday

I’d like to announce that I am turning down an invitation to the NIT. Old Miss, Indiana, and I will continue doing what we do best, play football poorly.

If we played Creighton and Marquette….we’d be playing tomorrow. No doubt in my mind.
But we played UConn and could have beat them on their GOOD day if everyone showed up. If there is no NCAA no one to blame but themselves. These other teams are not winning because a few of their key guys shied away from the moment. This time of year is about winning, not hoping.
From my perspective, kudos to the team for turning things around and getting back in the tournament picture but very disappointed in the game yesterday both from an effort and coaching standpoint. To get beat downcourt on defense way too many times, even after makes, again; to get beat to KEY loose balls and rebounds, again; to stay with players who just were not getting it done; more specifically, to ignore Dunlap the whole second half after he turned the game around in the first, to not even get him off the bench to see if he had the same impact in the 2nd: those things just stick in my craw and frankly, the Dunlap thing is absolutely mystifying to me, I thought his effect in the 1st half was that significant.
As well as UConn played, that game was there to be won and the result IMO showed both how far SJU has come, and how far they haven’t. They came close with no cigar enough times during the season that I take no solace in doing it again.
I obviously want them to make the tournament and think they will for the Pitino factor, but if they don’t because other teams WIN, well IMO, they came thisclose but just didn’t finish the job that was very much there and available to them.

Last edited:
Excellent night in DC. There's no way the committee can only take 2 Acc teams. So unless State somehow upsets NC, there's no way Pitt isn't the third. Beat Virginia at Virginia and much better conference tournament result and finished ahead of Clemsen regular season with much, much, much better tournament result.

Games to watch today

Most important
3:30pm, ESPN: Texas A&M vs. Florida: Result wanted: Florida win. I'm not convinced A&M is in, they have five Q3 losses.
5pm, ESPN2: Temple vs. FAU. Result wanted: FAU wins. Anyone but FAU winning AAC is bid stealer
8:30pm, ESPN: NC State vs. UNC. Result wanted: UNC wins. NC State is a bid stealer.
9:00pm, Fox: Oregon vs. Colorado. Result wanted: Colorado wins. Oregon is a bid stealer.

Important
6pm, CBS: New Mexico vs. San Diego State. Result wanted: SD State wins. New Mexico being on the bubble still matters

Sort of important
11am, ESPNU: Princeton vs. Brown. Result wanted: Princeton win. Reason: Princeton NET is 50. Would rather have them be the AQ than lurking
1pm, ESPN: Auburn vs. Mississippi St. Result wanted: Auburn win. Reason: Mississippi State is probably in anyway but no sure thing

But we played UConn and could have beat them on their GOOD day if everyone showed up. If there is no NCAA no one to blame but themselves. These other teams are not winning because a few of their key guys shied away from the moment. This time of year is about winning, not hoping.
From my perspective, kudos to the team for turning things around and getting back in the tournament picture but very disappointed in the game yesterday both from an effort and coaching standpoint. To get beat downcourt on defense way too many times, even after makes, again; to get beat to KEY loose balls and rebounds, again; to stay with players who just were not getting it done; more specifically, to ignore Dunlap the whole second half after he turned the game around in the first, to not even get him off the bench to see if he had the same impact in the 2nd: those things just stick in my craw and frankly, the Dunlap thing is absolutely mystifying to me, I thought his effect in the 1st half was that significant.
As well as UConn played, that game was there to be won and the result IMO showed both how far SJU has come, and how far they haven’t. They came close with no cigar enough times during the season that I take no solace in doing it again.
I obviously want them to make the tournament and think they will for the Pitino factor, but if they don’t because other teams WIN, well IMO, they came thisclose but just didn’t finish the job that was very much there and available to them.
For any of you who may think I am being too harsh, one play that epitomized SJU for me yesterday. Dunlap, after already having already made several hustle plays, turning the tenor of the game, got an offensive rebound and put in a short 5 footer from the baseline.
UConn, as they did most of the game leaked out a player after the make who was prime for an uncontested layin. Who ran him down, swiping at the ball as he ran past, the ONLY SJU player hustling to get back, DUNLAP, running his a$$ off baseline to baseline to prevent the basket, in point of fact, his hustle caused the player to lose his balance, fall and get called for traveling. But no reason to put him back in, better to watch some guys going through the motions.

For any of you who may think I am being too harsh, one play that epitomized SJU for me yesterday. Dunlap, after already having already made several hustle plays, turning the tenor of the game, got an offensive rebound and put in a short 5 footer from the baseline.
UConn, as they did most of the game leaked out a player after the make who was prime for an uncontested layin. Who ran him down, swiping at the ball as he ran past, the ONLY SJU player hustling to get back, DUNLAP, running his a$$ off baseline to baseline to prevent the basket, in point of fact, his hustle caused the player to lose his balance, fall and get called for traveling. But no reason to put him back in, better to watch some guys going through the motions.
If pining for Dunlap, just remember it is easy to stand out for hustle play when you only play 2 or 3 minutes. And he has to play with all out hustle as he lacks virtually every other skill. Listen if play 5 walk ons they will hustle for as long as they can but you will lose every game.

Back