Bubble Watch

I agree with that, but also think our resume is being propped up by the NET. The only tournament team we've beaten is Creighton. Some wins against okay-to-good teams, some losses to okay-to-good teams, and blow outs against bad teams.
I think in SJUs case the NET is not so much about blowing out bad teams, which is common all over the sport. I believe it is more to do with all the close losses to high NET teams. It was excruciating to lose so many games by five points or less but it did (relatively) help the NET. And then we didn’t just beat teams that I wouldn’t call bad, such as Villanova and Butler, we beat them badly. Of course, where one puts the line of “bad team“ is a personal thing. I would go with plus 100 NET.

Overall, totally agree that the efficiency metrics, which I do not like, are working in our favor this year.

Having been able to watch some of these games going on the last few days. I think it's clear the Big 12, Big East, and MWC are the the best basketball conferences this year. I haven't seen that much of the SEC so I can't argue about that, but MWC has really impressed me. They have high major athletes and players.
The competitive nature of BE with exception of bottom two teams, is amazing, MSG is best venue in nation for league tourney by far inclusive of media coverage, outstanding head coaches & great fan bases. Don’t screw this event and the Dance up NCAA & inept politicians, this month represents the essence of outstanding competition and fan enjoyment.

Could even lose today and see net move up to top 30 and be very hard to keep out (that would also help seton hall). So much can happen still
That’s true the net emphasizes close losses to good teams.
regarding the Big East, this conference has great coaches.

I think in SJUs case the NET is not so much about blowing out bad teams, which is common all over the sport. I believe it is more to do with all the close losses to high NET teams. It was excruciating to lose so many games by five points or less but it did (relatively) help the NET. And then we didn’t just beat teams that I wouldn’t call bad, such as Villanova and Butler, we beat them badly. Of course, where one puts the line of “bad team“ is a personal thing. I would go with plus 100 NET.

Overall, totally agree that the efficiency metrics, which I do not like, are working in our favor this year.
I think it's about both.

Look at Kansas State. Their NET is 70 and not on the radar at this point. They have much better wins than us: Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State and Texas, plus Providence, LSU and Villanova. Most of their Q1 losses were very close losses.

They also only have one Q3 loss like us, but that one is Miami instead of Michigan.

The reason it's so low is two of their Q4 wins were in overtime (North Alabama, Oral Roberts) and the margins for two others were 7 points. Two of their Q3 wins were within five points.

We would probably all be throwing a fit if this was our resume and being declared out.

SEC is for real…I watch them every night along with the Big East during the season living down South now. SEC stands to get 8 teams in the tourney. BTW Lunardi has us going to Brooklyn for first round game
I was able to snag Friday night tickets at Barclays. That would be incredible

In the immortal words of Jake Taylor.

There’s only one thing left to do…win the whole f*cking thing.
200.gif

Having been able to watch some of these games going on the last few days. I think it's clear the Big 12, Big East, and MWC are the the best basketball conferences this year. I haven't seen that much of the SEC so I can't argue about that, but MWC has really impressed me. They have high major athletes and players.
I'd place the SEC up there as well. Like many of you have stated, the ACC stinks. I'm not impressed with Duke either.

So it seems as though it only took 12 hours for many to see how realistic being sent to Dayton actually is :)

Obviously a handful of games to watch but the two conferences to really key in on are the ACC and AAC. We really need UNC to win the ACC Tournament (Pitt probably leaps us with a win over them today, Virginia and NC State could take the autobid knocking us down another spot) and FAU to expand the bubble by a spot by winning the AAC Tournament. FAU is only 5.5 pt favorites in their Quarterfinal game today so they are well below a 50% chance to win 3 games in a row.

That said, my and DK's annoying posts about ending up in Dayton would immediately cease with a win tonight.

I'd place the SEC up there as well. Like many of you have stated, the ACC stinks. I'm not impressed with Duke either.

Yeah I tend to root against them in hoops but SEC is definitely up there. UK/Tenn/Auburn/South Car/Florida all legit

ACC is hot garbage this year. Big10 usually gets over valued & once again appears to be the case. That should potentially be a 5 bid league. No clue why Michigan St is projected in by most.

Spartans were the 8th seed in big 10. 19-13 overall. Wins against Baylor/Illinois/NW but picked on the bottom feeders with 8 of 10 conference wins against Rutgers/PennSt/Rutgers/Iowa/Mich/OhioSt

High NET helps them but not impressed with them at all

I think it's about both.

Look at Kansas State. Their NET is 70 and not on the radar at this point. They have much better wins than us: Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State and Texas, plus Providence, LSU and Villanova. Most of their Q1 losses were very close losses.

They also only have one Q3 loss like us, but that one is Miami instead of Michigan.

The reason it's so low is two of their Q4 wins were in overtime (North Alabama, Oral Roberts) and the margins for two others were 7 points. Two of their Q3 wins were within five points.

We would probably all be throwing a fit if this was our resume and being declared out.
I agree on Kansas State. And they could be in, all of these bracket folks aren‘t on the committee. Personally I’m not a fan of the margin aspect, but can see the point somewhat as a way to determine some luck factor regarding a lot of close losses to good teams. Again, rather it not exist at all and rewarding blowouts against teams outside the Top 100 seems ludicrous and unnecessary.

Wow, a lot of you folks are really down on the city of Dayton. I’ve heard it can be quite nice there this time of year.

Back