Bubble Watch

You can see the end of that game on YouTube. I was seated in the front row just to the right of our basket in what was booster club seats. As the game wound down and the outcome no longer in question a frat brother turned and said, "Let’s storm the court!!!" We had never done that before or since.

In that grainy video I can identify myself. I kmow exactly what I was wearing that day- a sky blue hoodie and corduroys and it's weird for me to watch. A hundred or more fans joined us and we celebrated as Billy Goodwin climbed on top of the rim as the Garden crowd rejoiced.

Quite likely the high point for me of being a fan. Celebrating the win as our guys cut down the nets was something unforgettable.

Who knows? Maybe again next week?

I think three of those teams get in. STJ/SHU may be a play-in game. We may have to root for UCONN to beat Providence on Sat, as much as I want full BE representation
I think UConn throttles PC. Will be interested to see the line, but I’m likely betting that game.

I think the second half is going to be a rude awakening for Providence. I do think a UCONN let down game in the BET is possible.
UConn will play their best because they want that #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. If they lose tomorrow and then possibly lose in the BET , it might knock them down to a two seed.

I hope we avoid Seton Hall at all costs. We seem to gag at the sight of them and if we don’t the refs screw us. Losing to another bubble team for the third time would be disastrous.
Finish sixth with wins over Geo and De Paul and even if we lose the Thur game to Marq. or Creighton they might still get a bid. Losing to SH onThur and they are dead.

It feels like this is becoming a little clearer. The next two games determine the season:

Go 0-2 and we’re NIT material & spending the off season debating if we think Pitino underperformed or not.

Go 1-1 (obviously the loss can’t be to GTown) and we’re sweating out Selection Sunday with no guarantees & most likely a First Four team if we do get in (although small chance for an at large if the rest of the bubble collapses)

Go 2-0 and we’re most likely in as an at large bypassing Dayton. Win a game beyond that and we can start having indulgent, masturbatory debates about what seed we think we deserve.

I hope we avoid Seton Hall at all costs. We seem to gag at the sight of them and if we don’t the refs screw us. Losing to another bubble team for the third time would be disastrous.
Finish sixth with wins over Geo and De Paul and even if we lose the Thur game to Marq. or Creighton they might still get a bid. Losing to SH onThur and they are dead.
I think we need to bury SH. Pitino's rant came after that shitshow. Let's put a hurt on them.

Following mostly pro-sjubb posts on Twitter... always good to hear the "negative" Tourney outlook for us. Centers me...

Finishing 19-12...solid rebound finish... but we are still only looking at 1 W of a "locked" Tourney team... not impressive.

If Nova wins Sat... consensus seems to be they are IN... so that would pump it to 3 prior to the BET. Don't see Utah getting in after last night's loss... and actually think a Providence W vs UConn would vault them past us....

Not sure how much the Committee weighs Conf Tournament Ws.... but we atleast need to get to Friday to feel positive...

Following mostly pro-sjubb posts on Twitter... always good to hear the "negative" Tourney outlook for us. Centers me...

Finishing 19-12...solid rebound finish... but we are still only looking at 1 W of a "locked" Tourney team... not impressive.

If Nova wins Sat... consensus seems to be they are IN... so that would pump it to 3 prior to the BET. Don't see Utah getting in after last night's loss... and actually think a Providence W vs UConn would vault them past us....

Not sure how much the Committee weighs Conf Tournament Ws.... but we atleast need to get to Friday to feel positive...
Yeah it's why I don't agree with the route of getting the 6 seed, beating Georgetown, and saying we're good to go. We need another legit win to feel good about ourselves.

If I recall correctly, it was a somber mood in the gym. Lou was coaching with a heavy heart. The SJU family just lost Sonny Dove 24 hours earlier to a tragic car accident, while working as a part time cabbie. History books show Sonny was an alltime great and he was the radio commentator for the team as well, along side play by play man Dave Halberstam.

For the game itself, BC was a tough matchup for us. We started that season 14-0 and took our first loss at Chestnut Hill. For the rematch it was more of the same. Chasing around Michael Adams, Jay Murphy killing us from the outside and John Garris hurting us down low. However Lou, staff and players were ready for the Eagles in the Big East Championship game, claiming our first conference tournament title
When Sonny passed away, no one on campus knew he died. We read in the morning papers that a cabbie passed away in an accidental mishap. None of us knew, including Coach Carnesecca, that Sonny was moonlighting as a cab driver. We got a call mid morning from NYPD that the driver was identified.
As for that first game in the old Roberts Center at BC ( a true bandbox) it was a later start, maybe 2-3 pm. We were undefeated and ranked #3 in USA. # 2 Memphis had lost previously to Tulane and we were watching the 12 noon game Carolina vs #1 Virginia in my room while taping the players. Carolina hangs on and upsets UVA and EVERYBODY realized if we win, we become #1 in the US. Well that was the kiss of death as we lost with some unexpected poor play and some very questionable calls from the refs. We then board the team bus and it’s a blizzard out. Lou makes the call to head back to NYC instead of heading back to the hotel as he always hated staying in the hotel postgame after a loss. We get as far as Hartford when the bus driver says no mas. The bus pulls over and I hop out in the snow with a bunch of dimes and start calling local hotels from a pay phone to see who can take us in for the night. After numerous tries, I finally score a bunch of rooms at a local Ramada Inn in East Hartford. That was one of our all time bandwagon bus trips with many athletic dept staff and friends of the team on the bus for that game since we were undefeated. Lou was not happy to see all these people jumping on the bus heading up to BC and after this, it was the last time anyone besides official travel party went with the team.

Some stuff to look for tonight:

Evansville vs Drake: MVC Quarterfinal (7pm) - Drake is flirting with being an at large team which would be very bad for us. We need the MVC to not be a two bid league, which is possible with them and Indiana State this season. an Evansville upset, and Indiana State eventually winning the MVC tournament is the outcome we need. Indiana State already won their quarterfinal earlier today.

Boise St @ #21 SDSU (10pm FSI) - I have been rooting for my guy Omar Stanley, but the truth of the matter is, it is better for the Big East (and us) if the Mountain West conference can calm down a bit. There are too many teams in this conference that are supposedly getting in. San Diego St and Utah State look to be the two teams that are definitely in. But the others, Boise St, Colorado St, Nevada, New Mexico. I feel like all of these teams are vulnerable to being left out if they end the season poorly. Boise is probably feeling like they are close to a lock. But perhaps a loss here and a loss in their first MWC tournament game could leave them on the cutting room floor come next Sunday. Who knows. I have a sneaking suspicion that the committee is not going to give the Mountain West conference as much love as bracketologists think. That's just a hunch though

Back