Bubble Watch

This may have already been posted but I just want to make sure I understand.

If St John’s PC and Nova finish at 11-9 (three way tie), the Johnnie’s are the 5th seed cause we possess a 3-1 record against those two teams and neither of those teams have more then 2 wins.

If St John’s and PC are tied then PC is 5th due to their record against high ranked Big East teams.

If this is the case, do we root for Nova to win? Or are we in competition with them for a Dance spot?

Remember 1983 BC vs SJU. We lost 2x in regular season then beat them in BE Finals! Asst Coach Brian Mahoney made extraordinary changes to our game plan. Louie was not big in changing things up but agreed with Brian's assessment!
Played at AH before that game. The day was a bust.

This SH game was just meant to be. It is part of the CRP legacy. First SH game he is sick and they get destroyed; second game the are winning by 19 points, lose, causing CRP to go berserk and get burned by the media; the team goes on a winning streak turning the narrative to CRP planned those comments to get the team motivated. Now they will play SH for a third time and if they get over the hump and win, CRP will be nationally acclaimed as a basketball genius! It is like Zac Brazillier is scripting this story! Gotta love it!
Maybe Zac Brown

Rutgers tied in second half against Wisconsin. Wisconsin isn't on the bubble (yet) but have lost 7 of last 9 games.

Rutgers tied in second half against Wisconsin. Wisconsin isn't on the bubble (yet) but have lost 7 of last 9 games.
I am interested to see where Wisconsin lands in a lot of brackets if they lose this game

47-42 Rutgers with 13 minutes left

Colorado wins. If they win @Oregon State Saturday that sets them up nicely as the 3 seed in the P12 tourney avoiding Arizona. I think Colorado ends up making it

Utah down 15 late in the 1st half…Hoping they come back and at least make this competitive. We need Utah to stay in the Top 50 in NET so it stays a Quad 1 win for SJU.

Utah down 15 late in the 1st half…Hoping they come back and at least make this competitive. We need Utah to stay in the Top 50 in NET so it stays a Quad 1 win for SJU.
Saw Utah lost by 7 pts ... on road to Oregon St. 92-85.

Assuming a somewhat convincing win against Georgetown it’s starting to feel like we’ll have a decent chance to get in (depending on bid-stealers, other bubble teams performance, etc) but not a certainty. However even if we are fortunate enough to be on the right side of the bubble it looks for sure like that 4/5 game is gonna be the deciding factor in if we end up in Dayton or not.

Just have to treat every game like it’s an elimination game and see where they end up 🤷‍♂️

Remember 1983 BC vs SJU. We lost 2x in regular season then beat them in BE Finals! Asst Coach Brian Mahoney made extraordinary changes to our game plan. Louie was not big in changing things up but agreed with Brian's assessment!
Our younger fans our probably unaware that Mahoney held the clipboard and during timeouts was the one with the dry erase marker in his hand outlining plays, defensive schemas, etc.

We tend not to give enough credit for Looie's success to two great assistants - John Kresse and Brian Mahoney.

Kresse had tremendous success as HC at Charleston. During our tournament this past November, the AD tried to get Kresse to one of our events. Billy Schaeffer, who played under Kresse and Looie, tried hard to get him but his sched was filled. He still lives in Charleston and a friend I travelled with who knows John ran into him at a coffee shop one morning.

Brian, of course, won BE coach of the year, and snared Hamilton and Lopez. It had us dreaming of a championship, but in the end Brian's career didn't live up to the Lapchick-Carnesecca legacy and he was let go. To his credit, Mahoney has remained close to the university after all these years and is a regular attendee at games.

I had told Pitino, who regularly speaks of Coach C., that his hires collapses every hire since Lou so that he has a direct link to Lapchick and Looie. They have much in common - Local guy, Italian American (who strongly identifies with his ancestral roots), a fierce desire to win and now expresses a deep reverence for our tradition.

Perhaps our best days, and Rick's, are ahead of us. I told him if he wins here, this may just prove to be his most rewarding stop in a HOF career.

Suddenly, we can all hope again.

This tweet is from the #13 ranked bracket guy on BracketMatrix:

I'm a UConn fan tomorrow night... A victory over them might shoot Prov ahead of us... as well as probably giving them 5th...

If that is the scenario we are playing with - Im think committee goes with:
- 1 of the two Drake/Indiana St... (think the have to throw a bone to a Mid)
- Nova ...
- Seton Hall...
- Col
- St JOhns ( if we make it to Friday night)

I'm a UConn fan tomorrow night... A victory over them might shoot Prov ahead of us... as well as probably giving them 5th...

If that is the scenario we are playing with - Im think committee goes with:
- 1 of the two Drake/Indiana St... (think the have to throw a bone to a Mid)
- Nova ...
- Seton Hall...
- Col
- St JOhns ( if we make it to Friday night)
Basically have to be big Nova and UCONN fans on Saturday.

This all doesn't matter if we don't win tomorrow & next week. I don't think we're in if we lose to SHU -- or, we may be in but it's barring any usual upset in a conference tournament.

I love March. Can't wait for next year, where we're all debating whether we should be a 2 or a 3 seed.

If I recall correctly, it was a somber mood in the gym. Lou was coaching with a heavy heart. The SJU family just lost Sonny Dove 24 hours earlier to a tragic car accident, while working as a part time cabbie. History books show Sonny was an alltime great and he was the radio commentator for the team as well, along side play by play man Dave Halberstam.

For the game itself, BC was a tough matchup for us. We started that season 14-0 and took our first loss at Chestnut Hill. For the rematch it was more of the same. Chasing around Michael Adams, Jay Murphy killing us from the outside and John Garris hurting us down low. However Lou, staff and players were ready for the Eagles in the Big East Championship game, claiming our first conference tournament title.

Back