Bubble Watch

From ZACH:

Villanova winning at Providence is a very good result for St. John's. Nova will now move into the top-30 of the NET, giving St. John's another Quad 1 win. That makes five. Also, Villanova making the tournament would give the Johnnies two more wins over an at-large team. Wildcats just need to split next two -- at Seton Hall, home for Creighton -- to be a lock for tourney IMO.
Win and we are in. Win a game in BET vs SHU and we are a 9 seed at worst, I think. Our resume is far stronger than we get credit for because we have the best finish by far of any bubble team. And a lot of bubble teams are going take an L.

On KenPom we are evenly split on O and D. That is a formula for an upset run from a low seed, as we will not be overmatched either way. We have a better shot than a team like Alabama, who is ripe for a first round upset.

I didn't particularly care for the movie. Something was lacking there, and there wasn't anything mentioned that wasn't previously known.

Check out the documentary on Marley, which is simply titled "Marley." It came out in 2012. It's really good and covers a lot regarding the life of Bob Marley.

Now back to the title of the thread. 😉
I love Marley. We do one week in the Caribbean every year and his music while hybrid reggae with Jamaican roots resonates powerfully and speaks to life in all of the Caribbean. I'm no music buff but I'd be pretty sure he influenced many crossover artists who embraced the rhythms and steel drums that Marley brought to mainstream music.

I always have mixed feelings about our visits to the Caribbean where privileged classes of people are served mostly by much poorer populations that don't experience the paradise that wealthier visitors do.

My msin damned point is I stream a bunch of services but anything about Marley seems to be a rental!!

I love Marley. We do one week in the Caribbean every year and his music while hybrid reggae with Jamaican roots resonates powerfully and speaks to life in all of the Caribbean. I'm no music buff but I'd be pretty sure he influenced many crossover artists who embraced the rhythms and steel drums that Marley brought to mainstream music.

I always have mixed feelings about our visits to the Caribbean where privileged classes of people are served mostly by much poorer populations that don't experience the paradise that wealthier visitors do.

My msin damned point is I stream a bunch of services but anything about Marley seems to be a rental!!
Beast, all I can tell you is that I met my wife through work where I had very close Trinidadian & Jamaican friends and they would go through the roof at Bob Marley being called hybrid reggae. As he became popular he introduced other influences to his music but he was Reggae all the way. I suspect what you hear in your Caribbean visits is watered down Marley. Steel drums is Trinidadian music and was not part of Bob's music at all.
Anyway, don't want to hijack another thread but calling Marley hybrid reggae is kind of like calling Joan Baez hybrid folk.

Beast, all I can tell you is that I met my wife through work where I had very close Trinidadian & Jamaican friends and they would go through the roof at Bob Marley being called hybrid reggae. As he became popular he introduced other influences to his music but he was Reggae all the way. I suspect what you hear in your Caribbean visits is watered down Marley. Steel drums is Trinidadian music and was not part of Bob's music at all.
Anyway, don't want to hijack another thread but calling Marley hybrid reggae is kind of like calling Joan Baez hybrid folk.
Yield to your expertise. Thanks for taking the time to explain

Being on the Bubble=Not a good the for SJU

The NCAA committee has a hard on for RP and are probably will not show any favor towards SJU. Evidence being, they paired Iona with UConn last year. Thoughts?

During yesterday's broadcast of butler at depaul, they did one of those blind "who would you pick" based on records, etc. It was butler and Seton hall. The announcer actually chose butler's resume. Butler is considered to be out while Seton hall is supposed to be comfortably in.

The matrices can be read and interpreted so many different ways to make your head spin (as another poster noted). Who knows what factors the committee values more highly than other.

I hope rhis year we're not NC state when st john's was picked over it for the first four game in Dayton that we eventually lost to luc dort and Arizona state.

Being on the Bubble=Not a good the for SJU

The NCAA committee has a hard on for RP and are probably will not show any favor towards SJU. Evidence being, they paired Iona with UConn last year. Thoughts?
I’m not convinced Pitino being our coach will factor in at all in the selection committee’s decision. To the extent it does, I see it as a net positive. Pitino draws attention (positive and negative) and that’s good for ratings and the tournament.

Some games to watch today:

Seton Hall @ Uconn: a win here for The Hall would shoot their resume to the top of the pile of bubble teams, so let’s go huskies

Rutgers @ Nebraska: Give me a Scarlet Knights win here

Stanford @ Colorado: give me a Stanford win here!

East Carolina @ North Texas: Go North Texas! I’m sure them winning this would hardly reflect in our metrics at all. But can’t hurt

Not sure if accurate, but this site lists who is on the committee for this year

Not sure if accurate, but this site lists who is on the committee for this year

Thanks for the list, now I know who’s houses to throw eggs at if we get left out of the field ;)

SJ had dreadful stretch w losing 8 of 10, but playing best ball of season albeit two wins. Staying in win column entering BE T seems to make them a team opponents have to worry about a lot more than two weeks ago. A little wind at their backs & perhaps can grab two wins at Tournament. This could be fun while Wed “door mat fest” isn’t.
Best chance to get 2 wins in the Big East Tournament will be against DePaul and Creighton, rather than against Seton Hall and Uconn.

Back