Bubble Watch

Anyone with concerns about the ncaa having it out for Pitino, go check out the SJU TV ratings from this year. It’s always about the money even when people think it’s personal.

They want us in
The NCAA always wants us in. We are the biggest market in the country by a mile and we have a compelling story now with Pitino — arguably the greatest coach to ever do it.

If it’s close they will find a way to get us in.

The NCAA always wants us in. We are the biggest market in the country by a mile and we have a compelling story now with Pitino — arguably the greatest coach to ever do it.

If it’s close they will find a way to get us in.
The NCAA has never done us any favors . Going way back .
I think the opposite . Believing the NCAA dislikes RP because he challenged them on his Suspension at L’ville and had to acknowledge his did nothing illegal .

Him being reinstated is a sore for them . So , giving him and our team on the bubble a fair shake might not be a sure thing .

Just saying .

These are the people in the room actually making choices.

I don't think any one of these people would hold a grudge for Pitino, and if anything, respect him even more as a peer + would want to see a team of his compete.

NCAA Tournament Selection Committee​

The 2023-2024 Selection Committee (the year the term is up is in parenthesis):
CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson)
JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director
SCOTT BARNES (2024) – Oregon State Athletic Director
BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)
MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director
GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director
KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner
BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director
MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director
TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner
ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director
RENEE BAUMGARTNER (2028) – Santa Clara Athletic Director

I have never felt that the committee makes decisions based on any factor other than their best judgment about what teams deserve to be in the tournament. You can certainly argue with their judgment on last 4 in/out, unless you expand the tournament (I'm opposed) there's no way to really know whether they get it right or wrong. But they have done pretty well over the years with some of the marginal teams they chose to include.

I absolutely do NOT think that they care about who is coaching a team or what market the school is in- the NCAA tournament is going to draw regardless, they don't care at all about the marginal benefit of Team A over Team B as one of the last few selections.

I have never felt that the committee makes decisions based on any factor other than their best judgment about what teams deserve to be in the tournament. You can certainly argue with their judgment on last 4 in/out, unless you expand the tournament (I'm opposed) there's no way to really know whether they get it right or wrong. But they have done pretty well over the years with some of the marginal teams they chose to include.

I absolutely do NOT think that they care about who is coaching a team or what market the school is in- the NCAA tournament is going to draw regardless, they don't care at all about the marginal benefit of Team A over Team B as one of the last few selections.
At minimum though, wouldn't you say the committee typically gives a benefit of the doubt to a team with a HOF coach if resumes are close to equal? There were Boheim teams that shocked everyone getting in, and that was the only reasonable explanation why.

Voice of reason

I will wait until Selection Sunday to decide on that...

If we're in, they are clearly a panel of fair-minded and thoughtful experts on college basketball.

If we're out, they're a group of backwoods hillbillies who hate Italians, Catholics, New York and their mothers...

Even though it's Depaul and Georgetown to finish the season those wins still help when you consider many 'bracketologists' will blindly look at our resume and see five straight wins to end the season with a 19-12 overall, 11-9 conference record. Don't underestimate momentum, even if it's beating up on bad teams.

Even though it's Depaul and Georgetown to finish the season those wins still help when you consider many 'bracketologists' will blindly look at our resume and see five straight wins to end the season with a 19-12 overall, 11-9 conference record. Don't underestimate momentum, even if it's beating up on bad teams.
A 5th place finish in the BE with a Friday night appearance will be Very* tough to keep out of the Field...

The NCAA has never done us any favors . Going way back .
I think the opposite . Believing the NCAA dislikes RP because he challenged them on his Suspension at L’ville and had to acknowledge his did nothing illegal .

Him being reinstated is a sore for them . So , giving him and our team on the bubble a fair shake might not be a sure thing .

Just saying .
Difference between enforcement staff and selection committee.

At minimum though, wouldn't you say the committee typically gives a benefit of the doubt to a team with a HOF coach if resumes are close to equal? There were Boheim teams that shocked everyone getting in, and that was the only reasonable explanation why.
Counterpoint: a number of those Syracuse teams then did very well in the tournament. That is actually one of the data points (ok, it's purely from memory but whatever) that supports my point that the committee seems to mostly know what it's doing from a basketball standpoint. I suppose you can argue chicken/egg on whether they got in because of their coach or succeeded because of their coach.

Counterpoint: a number of those Syracuse teams then did very well in the tournament. That is actually one of the data points (ok, it's purely from memory but whatever) that supports my point that the committee seems to mostly know what it's doing from a basketball standpoint. I suppose you can argue chicken/egg on whether they got in because of their coach or succeeded because of their coach.
Your last sentence is my point. I think those Syracuse teams underachieved in the regular season but since they had their HOF coach, the committee knew they were a quality team and could still beat someone any given night -- basically who we are. I think if those teams had a different coach, they'd be weighted differently.

Bubble watch
St Johns > DePaul - win by 20+
Clemson > Cuse
Gtown > Providence
Georgia > Texas AM
Oklahoma state > Texas tech
Cincy > Oklahoma
Kansas > K State
G. Tech > wake
FSU > Pitt

Back