Around the Big East

You may be right in what he's attempting to do but it I tend to agree with him for all the wrong reasons. 1. barely beat a Nova team that, until it gets the moores back isn't really a very good team, 2. was waxed by Uconn who is truly a first tier big east team. 3. Has a now somewhat devalued UNC win, good win for sure but given that UNC has yet to beat a good team this year and followed up the IA state loss to another vs. Alabama, do we truly know that they are elite? (banned word). You'll also note that UNC has not run any of it's cupcakes out of the building. Hey it's early. These are almost exhibitions. Any of the aformentioned teams could turn out great. Possible a couple could turn out awful. But Iowa St is not in UConn or Creighton's league. that's the first tier of the BE. If you concede that the next level is a very big middle of the pack, as I tend to believe, then that's where Iowa State is. I am more hopeful about this game then I was after the IA St / UNC game but promise not to devalue or overvalue the win or loss post game.
When I look at the conference to date….. there is Creighton and UConn, (not sure about Marquette from their blow out if Baylor) and then there is the middle of the pack which includes St. John’s, Xavier, PC etc. To put Iowa State in the company of UConn and Creighton is just silly.

In terms of “what I’m trying to do” just more nonsense. My take on the Iowa State game is this. Based on what I have seen of both St Johns and Iowa State so far, and the fact the Johnnies are playing at their court, I think that Iowa State looks like a better team right now for a number of reasons and should win. And while it would be great to beat them, if St Johns can keep it within a 6 to 8 point game, that would be a good showing at this point in the season.

Lukosius can really make plays happen. Butler is getting Ali Ali healthy at some point. I would not count them out of the 5th seed BE hunt.

Listen there's no way any rational person can devalue a win vs. Iowa State on the road at this point, nor over emphasize a loss unless it isn't even close to competitive. But this is RM.com, or whatever fans thing, so it's going to happen. Some people are just looking for the negative or pining for STJ to be Coach K's Duke program the way they pine to fit into that medium T Shirt (or in my case XL) in the closet.
A rational person on this Board!!!! Surely you jest! ;)

PC may struggle this year. They have no outside shooters and the ball stops whenever Bynum gets it. Cooley has his work cut out for him.
You are right but don't forget, Cooley lost all five starters from last year and is incorporating eight new players and it is understandable that they might not come out firing on all cylinders out of the gate but they won't struggle all year. He brought in some quality transfers and they will need time to mesh with Jared Bynum and Bynum will have to learn to trust his teammates and not try to do it all.

I am reminded of the wisdom of the great Larry Bird whose team was facing a Bulls team being led to the playoffs for the first time with a young phenom named Michael Jordan. Bird was asked, how are you win against Michael and the Bulls? Bird just said, "one man can't beat us". Jordan scored 63 points in a loss. Celtics swept the Bulls.

Cooley will get Bynum to cool it.

Back