Around the Big East

Marquette up by 28 over No. 4 Baylor with 3 minutes to go. Al McGuire must be smiling down on them.

Last edited:
How well is Marquette playing?

51% from the field, 40% from 3, and 75% from the line.... Oh yeah, those are Baylor's numbers, and they trail by 29.

Marquette leads by 8, 10, and 25 percentage points, respectively. Not to mention a 13 turnover difference.

Marquette is good, but I think this is an all-time night, that they're having here.

If I'm Baylor, I throw this one away, when evaluating my team. That can't all be just bad defense.

Let’s hope and pray Marquette doesn’t shoot like that against us. That was a very good performance. I doubt they will but I know we won’t Shoot that well. My guess is that was an outlier.

I think Marquette is GOOD. We have 40 minutes of hell as our slogan. Marquette implements it. No way are they a bottom feeder in the Big East.
If UConn and Ceighton are seen as the top dogs Marquette is in the mix for the next tier. I see Marquette, X, nova and SJU scrambling for the next spot. The big East is not weak and could put six in the tourney.

I think Marquette is GOOD. We have 40 minutes of hell as our slogan. Marquette implements it. No way are they a bottom feeder in the Big East.
If UConn and Ceighton are seen as the top dogs Marquette is in the mix for the next tier. I see Marquette, X, nova and SJU scrambling for the next spot. The big East is not weak and could put six in the tourney.
Nova is awful

I think that many posters seem to forget that Shaka is a good coach and his teams actually do improve. Also, I wouldn’t be so certain at this point where teams stand in conference. There are many factors like coaching. Thad Matt’s is also a good coach. There are going to be some dog fights where a last second shot or strategy/play wins a game. There are no gimmies, even Georgetown. Every game will be a battle as nothing the Johnnies have shown me so far indicate otherwise. Iowa State, a team that would most likely be a middle of the pack Big East team will be a good barometer as to where St. John’s is as a team at this point.

Last edited:
I think that many posters seem to forget that Shaka is a good coach and his teams actually do improve. Also, I wouldn’t be so certain at this point where teams stand in conference. There are many factors like coaching. Thad Matt’s is also a good coach. There are going to be some dog fights where a last second shot or strategy/play wins a game. There are no gummies, even Georgetown. Every game will be a battle as nothing the Johnnies have shown me so far indicate otherwise. Iowa State, a team that would most likely be a middle of the pack Big East team will be a good barometer as to where St. John’s is as a team at this point.
How can you concede at this juncture Iowa State would be middle of the pack in the Big East? Based on what I witnessed last week, the Cyclones looked closer to a first tier squad than middle of the pack if they were in the Big East.

I sense what you're attempting to do.

How can you concede at this juncture Iowa State would be middle of the pack in the Big East? Based on what I witnessed last week, the Cyclones looked closer to a first tier squad than middle of the pack if they were in the Big East.

I think he's paid by the word. :)

Clearly you have not watched many games. I guessed you missed the thrashing that UConn gave them. As usual it’s clear what you are doing which is unsuccessfully undermining anything I have to say. Facts speak for themselves but nice try.

Clearly you have not watched many games. I guessed you missed the thrashing that UConn gave them. As usual it’s clear what you are doing which is unsuccessfully undermining anything I have to say. Facts speak for themselves but nice try.
One game doesn't make a team nor a season. I don't extrapolate how things can or will turn out based on one game.

Do you recall Oklahoma blasting Villanova in an early season tilt during the 2015-2016 season? Yes, the same season in which Villanova lambasted Oklahoma in the Final Four and went on to win the national title versus UNC.

By the way, UConn is only one team in the Big East. How would Iowa State fare against the rest of the conference? I would have them as a top 3 or 4 team in the conference at this juncture. I also did see Iowa State beat UNC last week. Would UNC be a middle of the pack team in the Big East as well?

Here is what you're doing..... You're attempting the devalue Iowa State as a middle of the pack team, as to minimize the win in case the Johnnies do win. If the Johnnies lose the game, then you'll go on the attack about how the Johnnies bad OOC schedule didn't help them get ready for a middle of the pack team (if they were in the Big East) and we have a lot of work, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Last edited:

You may be right in what he's attempting to do but it I tend to agree with him for all the wrong reasons. 1. barely beat a Nova team that, until it gets the moores back isn't really a very good team, 2. was waxed by Uconn who is truly a first tier big east team. 3. Has a now somewhat devalued UNC win, good win for sure but given that UNC has yet to beat a good team this year and followed up the IA state loss to another vs. Alabama, do we truly know that they are elite? (banned word). You'll also note that UNC has not run any of it's cupcakes out of the building. Hey it's early. These are almost exhibitions. Any of the aformentioned teams could turn out great. Possible a couple could turn out awful. But Iowa St is not in UConn or Creighton's league. that's the first tier of the BE. If you concede that the next level is a very big middle of the pack, as I tend to believe, then that's where Iowa State is. I am more hopeful about this game then I was after the IA St / UNC game but promise not to devalue or overvalue the win or loss post game.

You may be right in what he's attempting to do but it I tend to agree with him for all the wrong reasons. 1. barely beat a Nova team that, until it gets the moores back isn't really a very good team, 2. was waxed by Uconn who is truly a first tier big east team. 3. Has a now somewhat devalued UNC win, good win for sure but given that UNC has yet to beat a good team this year and followed up the IA state loss to another vs. Alabama, do we truly know that they are elite? (banned word). You'll also note that UNC has not run any of it's cupcakes out of the building. Hey it's early. These are almost exhibitions. Any of the aformentioned teams could turn out great. Possible a couple could turn out awful. But Iowa St is not in UConn or Creighton's league. that's the first tier of the BE. If you concede that the next level is a very big middle of the pack, as I tend to believe, then that's where Iowa State is. I am more hopeful about this game then I was after the IA St / UNC game but promise not to devalue or overvalue the win or loss post game.
Even if there happens to be a gap or "big gap" with UConn and Creighton NOW and the third team.... I still don't consider the third team in the second tier or "middle of the pack."

Subjective, I guess. But that's just me. Regardless, plenty of season left to definitively say who, which, and where.

I never believed you'd devalue or overvalue what occurs on Sunday.

Listen there's no way any rational person can devalue a win vs. Iowa State on the road at this point, nor over emphasize a loss unless it isn't even close to competitive. But this is RM.com, or whatever fans thing, so it's going to happen. Some people are just looking for the negative or pining for STJ to be Coach K's Duke program the way they pine to fit into that medium T Shirt (or in my case XL) in the closet.

Back