Around the Big East

When has a longtime assistant succeeded when taking over a BE program?

Legit question because all I have is Mahoney on my mind.
Not much. Doesn’t fit the category you’re talking about but Chris Mack? Was the A10 for first few years.

Chris Holtman went from assistant at Butler to successful head coach there (3 successive NCAA appearances) and left for Ohio State job, but he was only an assistant for one year.
And a unique situation as interim coach who had great success.

4 good games in the BE today. If Xavier beats Gonzaga and UConn beats Iowa State those would be huge wins for the conference and really help with perception. I'm kinda rooting for Iowa State to win, even though it would be better for the conference if UConn wins. I want to see a battle of the unbeatens when they play the Johnnies.

This isn’t the same Nova. They haven’t looked good at all this year. And the guy recovering from an Achilles tear, and the freshman, isn’t gonna save them.

This isn’t the same Nova. They haven’t looked good at all this year. And the guy recovering from an Achilles tear, and the freshman, isn’t gonna save them.
I don’t know about that. That young man recovering from the Achilles tear put them in the Final Four last year. If he recovers fully and the freshman is the legit 5 star as advertised, I think they will be a formidable opponent.

I don’t know about that. That young man recovering from the Achilles tear put them in the Final Four last year. If he recovers fully and the freshman is the legit 5 star as advertised, I think they will be a formidable opponent.
There are professionals who can’t come back even close to their same form from that same injury.. just not realistic my man. And freshman is a freshman. He’s gonna have to learn how to play at this level too.

It’s just not likely in my opinion. Nova doesn’t look good.

When has a longtime assistant succeeded when taking over a BE program?

Legit question because all I have is Mahoney on my mind.

Another legit question I have posed to my Syracuse friends is….. how many career assistants with absolutely no head coaching experience have succeeded when they have taken over as head coach for a longtime successful P6 program.

I am sure there have been some but I can give you a longer list of career assistants with no prior head coaching experience that have failed.

Your thoughts?

There are professionals who can’t come back even close to their same form from that same injury.. just not realistic my man. And freshman is a freshman. He’s gonna have to learn how to play at this level too.

It’s just not likely in my opinion. Nova doesn’t look good.

I been saying this exact same thing for about a week and got called a hater and said it's too soon to say they don't look good.

I don't know how anybody that watched them play this year, comes away with... "Hey, add a guy recovering from an achilles surgery and a freshman recovering from thumb surgery on his shooting hand and that will be a good basketball team."

Maybe they can string together a couple winning streaks this year when everyone is back, but it's going to be a long road trying to meet the pre-season expectations they had. I'm not even sure if pre-season schedule simulations had them with 5 losses total for the season, they have 5 losses already in November. Likely going to be at 6 next week, they got a really good Oklahoma team coming up.

Yes....that's definitely a big deal. I am sure Daniels, Dixon and Moore will notice quite a difference with Gilespie no longer controlling things.

Yes but as you and i seem to agree a 70% Moore is a 250% little Arch. And Whitmore is a one and done 5 star who may need to now stay 2 years. But yeah, this early version of Nova defines their season. Smdh

Back