Around the Big East

Can't believe I'm pulling (albeit half-heartedly) for Seton Hall and UConn to win tonight, but given the BE's showings against power teams this year, desperate times call for desperate measures.

As I read the posts concerning Villanova and Kyle Neptuneover the past few days, I can't help but LMAO. I can remember when some on this board wanted St John's to hire him, SMFH.

Where is my friend MJ Maher when I need him
Where is my friend MJ Maher when I need him, lol.
Here’s what I find pretty funny. Last year when Champ was out for two games, one against lowly Pitt, posters on this site were using his absence for losing those games and taking the blame off the coaching staff. But now, Neptune has his two top players out, (which would be the equivalent of losing Champ and Posh at the same time) is playing good good competition,(not Pitt) and the same people who excused the staff for the poor losses are now putting down Neptune, first year at Nova for not winning????? I think Neptune is a fine coach who when all his players are available will be a tough out for the Johnnies and all the teams in the league.

Here’s what I find pretty funny. Last year when Champ was out for two games, one against lowly Pitt, posters on this site were using his absence for losing those games and taking the blame off the coaching staff. But now, Neptune has his two top players out, (which would be the equivalent of losing Champ and Posh at the same time) is playing good good competition,(not Pitt) and the same people who excused the staff for the poor losses are now putting down Neptune, first year at Nova for not winning????? I think Neptune is a fine coach who when all his players are available will be a tough out for the Johnnies and all the teams in the league.
He doesnt have his top 2 players out. Whitmore has never played a minute of college basketball. No one knows how good he is.

And moore is coming off a serious injury and will be no where near the players he was.

Is there an ignore button for some of these posters? They come here to trash their own team and then build up our rivals. Pathetic trolling.

This is one of the biggest reaches I've read on here, and that says a lot.

First off, In Neptunes starting lineup he has 3 players that averaged 28 MPG or more on a final 4 team, so basically he has 3 starters from a final 4 team. Also, he currently has 6 players on the roster that logged minutes on that final 4 team. That's significant talent returning, that's why even when the AP voters and coaches poll knew Moore would be out to start the season they were still pre-season ranked #16. Had they been fully healthy without a doubt they would have been pre-season top 10 ranked team.

You're trying to equate an unranked Johnnies team that was projected to be a bubble team losing on the final possession to Pitt (a high major team) without their best player to pre-season #16 ranked Villanova with 6 players with final 4 experience and a top 20 recruiting class losing to the mighty Portland Pilots of the WCC by 12 points, a game they were dominated in for most of the game. As my father in law would say "That dog don't hunt."

As usual Johnny Rapper, you read to reply, not to understand, lol. I totally accept that Neptune is playing with a depleted roster. My post was to point out how some in this thread are already saying that the Villanova job was too much, too soon for Neptune, smh. I have known Kyle since he was in high school. He played for me at IS8. I wish the young man nothing but success. Hopefully when he has a full roster, the results will be better.

My concern is that players went to Villanova to play for Jay Wright, will Neptune be able to attract the same caliber of player?

Last edited:
My concern is that players went to Villanova to play for Jay Wright, will Neptune be able to attract the same caliber of player?
This is my concern as well. Duke and UNC will probably always get five-star players so those jobs are easier when following a legend. I haven't looked back at his rankings, but I feel like Jay brought in a lot of 3.75- to 4-ish-star guys and coached them up and made them cohesive over three to four years. Does Nova dry up quickly if Neptune doesn't win for a year or two?

I guess it was Lappas era beforehand? While there were good years, there weren't deep runs.

As usual Johnny Rapper, you read to reply, not to understand, lol. I totally accept that Neptune is playing with a depleted roster. My post was to point out how some in this thread are already saying that the Villanova job was too much, too soon for Neptune, smh. I have known Kyle since he was in high school. He played for me at IS8. I wish the young man nothing but success. Hopefully when he has a full roster, the results will be better.

Oh ok, many on here were putting Kyle down for way too early results, I was just defending him. Obviously I misunderstood the intent of your post.

Neptune signed a 4 star at Fordham

Only 17 min per game so far. 4.3 pts, 1.5 reb, 0.8 assts

Probably not happy Neptune left. Maybe he follows

I am not sure why the Villanova hate on this site.

Villanova’s success gave credibility to the reformatted Big East.

I hope Coach Neptune succeeds; if he doesn’t then he will be replaced which is what he understood when he accepted the position.

Note that the good Augustinian Fathers and the Villanova Board of Trustees do not tolerate mediocrity in its mens basketball program as evidenced by the fact that Jay Wright’s predecessor Coach Steve Lappas was terminated despite winning 20 or more games 6 of his 9 seasons at Nova where he recorded a solid record of 171 wins and 110 losses.

Neptune is really in a tough position. Obviously it's too early to tell if he can keep the Nova train rolling and it's also obvious that our conference has a bigger draw if he does.

What makes this task difficult is that so much of Nova's success was about Jay Wright (the person). He had a culture-establishing charisma that was his own and cannot be exactly replicated. Nova didn't thrive on it's facilities, booster programs or huge student body. It was Jay.

Neptune can install Wright's system and try to maintain the culture but, ultimately, he will have to be successful by putting his own stamp on the program. Big shoes to fill, but he will be heavily supported. It seems, starting with Jay, everyone wants Kyle to be successful. He will at least get the customary 3-5 years to make it happen......as he should.

Great post Johnny Fan. And it wasn’t always rainbows and roses for Jay Wright at nova. He had his share of down years and struggles even after breaking through to his first final four.

"Many?"
I only noticed about two posters who seemed to be "giving up" on Neptune.

The hyperbole on this board is insane sometimes. You have people that literally want to be negative about everything then you have another group of people who get offended if you're not praising every little thing that everybody is doing. Any comment I've ever said about Villanova and Neptune has been straight performance based on what I watched (I've watched them play 4 games now). They have underachieved thus far through 6 games, that's not hating or giving up on somebody that's just a fact.

Can they turn it around this year and still be a top 15 team and be the 2nd best team in the conference as projected? Sure. Would I bet my money on that outcome from what I've seen thus far? Probably not. If that's hating, guilty as charged.

Also, MJ this post isn't directed at you.

When has a longtime assistant succeeded when taking over a BE program?

Legit question because all I have is Mahoney on my mind.

Back