Around the Big East

Hopefully Providence can climb back into this game against Miami. Rough start for the Big East. If we can’t all turn it around soon it’ll be looking like one of those years 4 teams make the tourney instead of 6 or 7. Went 2-6 in the Gavitt Games and if Providence loses then everybody has taken at least 1 loss except Creighton, UConn & St Johns which isn’t saying much since the best win out of that group is Nebraska…

I think Creighton, UConn & Xavier should be somewhere between solid to good teams. I have no clue about anyone else yet.

It is way too early to praise or condemn Kyle Neptune. The discussion of his one year of coaching at Fordham needs to be assessed for what it was. I think he did a commendable job based on what he had to work with. Fordham was 2-12 in the season prior to his hiring and after the 20-21 season 8 players transferred out, including Joel Soriano who averaged 10 points and 9 rebounds. He was hired on March 30th, alittle late in the recruiting/transfer period and brought in 7 transfers from small schools and JC's. When he was hired by Nova they had 1 transfer out, Bryan Antoine who had an injury plagued career after being a highly recruited McD's AA and he retained all 3 recruits to Nova. It is fair to say he needs time to show what he can do and who he can recruit. I know people are saying he couldn't get it done at Fordham but they would have said the same about Jay Wright after his first 3 years at Hofstra where his record was 31-51. Part of Jay's success has to be working for Rollie for 7 years (thank God someone else taught Jay how to dress); hopefully for Nova Neptune learned as well in spending 10 years with Jay.

It is way too early to praise or condemn Kyle Neptune. The discussion of his one year of coaching at Fordham needs to be assessed for what it was. I think he did a commendable job based on what he had to work with. Fordham was 2-12 in the season prior to his hiring and after the 20-21 season 8 players transferred out, including Joel Soriano who averaged 10 points and 9 rebounds. He was hired on March 30th, alittle late in the recruiting/transfer period and brought in 7 transfers from small schools and JC's. When he was hired by Nova they had 1 transfer out, Bryan Antoine who had an injury plagued career after being a highly recruited McD's AA and he retained all 3 recruits to Nova. It is fair to say he needs time to show what he can do and who he can recruit. I know people are saying he couldn't get it done at Fordham but they would have said the same about Jay Wright after his first 3 years at Hofstra where his record was 31-51. Part of Jay's success has to be working for Rollie for 7 years (thank God someone else taught Jay how to dress); hopefully for Nova Neptune learned as well in spending 10 years with Jay.
Don’t waste your breath Making Plays has spoken. Won’t know if he responds to this post as he is the first person I have ever blocked. I refuse to label him as an arrogant, condescending know-it-all so I’ll just say he is a swell guy.

At the time, I thought this was overplayed. I still do. Unfortunately, in this day and age people have little space to speak, without someone being offended.
The thing that bothered me the most about that situation was the lack of support and condemnation of McDermit from some school administrators and one particular assistant coach. They/he knew damn well the content in which that comment was made and that it was never meant to be offensive. The players forgave the comment cause they had enough sense to see it for what it was, a poorly made comment, a mistake, that was never meant to offend anyone.

McDermott likely chose words poorly and just a part off verbacular, but even his intended words of "off the reservation" still would have been offensive to some.

No one is impressed w Neptune or Holloway, yet no one wants to spew the cold hard facts. Wright transitioning to Neptune (1Y Fordham) was one of the most irresponsible and uncalled for hires in a long time. It was embarrassing to watch it happen in real time and here are the results. Who’s fault is it? That’s not our problem but man is it one.

Meanwhile are primed for a big year, the 2 coaches who owned us for a decade plus are long gone. Replaced by unqualified lightning in a bottle long shots. Our roster is loaded, if there is a time to believe it is right now. Get on the train, our administration has made all the right moves at the same time that our long term favorites are finally panicking.
So what did/do you think about the legacy hires of Scheyer and Davis who both replaced HOF National Champion coaches? Where they irresponsible too?

So what did/do you think about the legacy hires of Scheyer and Davis who both replaced HOF National Champion coaches? Where they irresponsible too?

I simply don’t like hiring young and inexperienced coaches carrying the torch at blue bloods no matter the long term potential. The risk is too large to disrupt the brand. Neptune has the potential to be catastrophic and the entire landscape can change there.

In high major conferences you are up against middle to senior aged head coaches with decades of crunch time experience on a nightly basis.

A 20 year assistant similar to a Hopkins replacing Boeheim is a responsible path when in big time cultures in my opinion.

Scheyer will have his hiccups the same as Neptune, it’s inevitable no matter how many 5 stars litter the rosters.

Don’t waste your breath Making Plays has spoken. Won’t know if he responds to this post as he is the first person I have ever blocked. I refuse to label him as an arrogant, condescending know-it-all so I’ll just say he is a swell guy.
LOL dude I don't care about you blocking me. I didn't even know who you were before posting in this thread. Have I said anything to you prior to this?

And the conversation you're in your feelings about, I wasn't even talking to you it was a conversation between me and Mase, you chimed in and quoted me and I responded. Me and Mase go back and forth all the time, we don't take it personal, it's a message board, everybody is not going to agree with you and your opinion. I'm not impressed with Kyle Neptune at the successor at Nova, or the 16-16 record at Fordham, that's my opinion whether it's right or wrong, and I don't care about Fordham's school history. That's just how I feel.

I simply don’t like hiring young and inexperienced coaches carrying the torch at blue bloods no matter the long term potential. The risk is too large to disrupt the brand. Neptune has the potential to be catastrophic and the entire landscape can change there.

In high major conferences you are up against middle to senior aged head coaches with decades of crunch time experience on a nightly basis.

A 20 year assistant similar to a Hopkins replacing Boeheim is a responsible path when in big time cultures in my opinion.

Scheyer will have his hiccups the same as Neptune, it’s inevitable no matter how many 5 stars litter the rosters.

I agree with this, I'm not of fan of the legacy hires at blue bloods either. Unless the legacy has went out and really proven themselves and won big somewhere else first. Davis seems to be working out, he had great success his first year, we will see if he can maintain the UNC brand over a long period of time.

I seem to recall Cooley kicking up a little dust about whether Alyn Breed was as good as Posh prior to one of their matchups in their respective freshman seasons. Breed got 12 minutes off the bench against Miami last night and is averaging 3.4 minutes per game this season.

I seem to recall Cooley kicking up a little dust about whether Alyn Breed was as good as Posh prior to one of their matchups in their respective freshman seasons. Breed got 12 minutes off the bench against Miami last night and is averaging 3.4 minutes per game this season.
Don’t think he mentioned Posh by name but along the lines of “we’d take our frosh over anyone else’s”. Of course, he wouldn’t.

Don’t think he mentioned Posh by name but along the lines of “we’d take our frosh over anyone else’s”. Of course, he wouldn’t.
It was in regards to freshman of the week when that kid had a big game or two, but Posh got the award anyway that particular week. Cooley goes out of his way to rah-rah his kids. He started the campaign last year early for Minaya getting DPOY (over kids who were getting more buzz, like Kalk and Posh).

Will say that Cooley was pretty quiet though last year on this particular topic during their respective sophomore years. And when out of his way to praise Posh when Posh had probably his best game of the year torching Prov at home in that close loss. Of course Cooley won that game, and when he wins he has a different "outlook" on life lol.

It was in regards to freshman of the week when that kid had a big game or two, but Posh got the award anyway that particular week. Cooley goes out of his way to rah-rah his kids. He started the campaign last year early for Minaya getting DPOY (over kids who were getting more buzz, like Kalk and Posh).

Will say that Cooley was pretty quiet though last year on this particular topic during their respective sophomore years. And when out of his way to praise Posh when Posh had probably his best game of the year torching Prov at home in that close loss. Of course Cooley won that game, and when he wins he has a different "outlook" on life lol.
That was probably the best game of Posh’s career and a game we had to lose 3 or 4 times.

Back