Around the Big East

Uh oh. I may have spoke to soon. 😂 When I was writing that last post, they were down 11 with like 4 minutes to go. Only down 1 right now. Nova needs this one.

The way they are looking NIT would be a stretch. Neptune is not looking like a good Jay Wright replacement so far.

My general thought is if a coach doesn't dominate in a mid-major/low major conference there's no way they can compete in high major conference. Kyle Neptune, went 8-10 in the Atlantic 10 last year. If you're a really good coach, if you have half-way decent players, you at least finish .500 in that conference, and make the NIT or CIT or something. You're only playing against 2-3 tournament caliber teams in all of conference play.
Only one year at Fordham, a place that never wins and only had 7 combined conference wins the 3 prior years. I think the 8-10 is impressive in its own right. Don’t know if it means he’s gonna be a good coach but definitely doesn’t mean he can’t be one either IMO. But of course I tend to agree that the anointment was rushed, and keeping it within the family no matter what is a silly move.

Only one year at Fordham, a place that never wins and only had 7 combined conference wins the 3 prior years. I think the 8-10 is impressive in its own right. Don’t know if it means he’s gonna be a good coach but definitely doesn’t mean he can’t be one either IMO. But of course I tend to agree that the anointment was rushed, and keeping it within the family no matter what is a silly move.
It doesn't matter if it's 1 year, typically if you're an elite level coach, which you should be if you're the Nova head coach, just coaching ability alone in a mid-major conference you at least have a winning record, just by going .500 in conference and beating up on enough low majors in the non-conference. Look at Pitino at Iona he can get 20 wins in the MAAC in his sleep.

Look at some teams Neptune lost to last year, Manhattan, Maryland-Eastern Shore, St. Joes, UMass. These are really bad teams, that on paper, do not have more talent than Fordham. If he would have won 20 games, I would be with you that would be good at Fordham, but 16-16, to take over the Nova job... meh.

It doesn't matter if it's 1 year, typically if you're an elite level coach, which you should be if you're the Nova head coach, just coaching ability alone in a mid-major conference you at least have a winning record, just by going .500 in conference and beating up on enough low majors in the non-conference. Look at Pitino at Iona he can get 20 wins in the MAAC in his sleep.

Look at some teams Neptune lost to last year, Manhattan, Maryland-Eastern Shore, St. Joes, UMass. These are really bad teams, that on paper, do not have more talent than Fordham. If he would have won 20 games, I would be with you that would be good at Fordham, but 16-16, to take over the Nova job... meh.
I mean he took over a team that won 7 conference games the last 3 years. Combined. I know you know college ball. The MAAC is not the A10 and Fordham and Iona are two different animals completely. Iona was winning the conference before Pitino took over. Fordham was Fordham.

The way they are looking NIT would be a stretch. Neptune is not looking like a good Jay Wright replacement so far.

My general thought is if a coach doesn't dominate in a mid-major/low major conference there's no way they can compete in high major conference. Kyle Neptune, went 8-10 in the Atlantic 10 last year. If you're a really good coach, if you have half-way decent players, you at least finish .500 in that conference, and make the NIT or CIT or something. You're only playing against 2-3 tournament caliber teams in all of conference play.
Fordham has been a doormat for decades

I mean he took over a team that won 7 conference games the last 3 years. Combined. I know you know college ball. The MAAC is not the A10 and Fordham and Iona are two different animals completely. Iona was winning the conference before Pitino took over. Fordham was Fordham.
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. If you are some random up and coming coach who's first high major opportunity will likely come at DePaul, Vanderbilt, Boston College, or some school like that, then yea 16-16 is a good job at Fordham. If you're taking over a program like Villanova, one of the winningest programs in the past 20 years, you want an elite level coach that dominated the lower level. 8-10 is not dominating.

And let's throw out anything at Fordham, This same roster Neptune has right now at Nova, Jay Wright would have them ranked in the top 10 and undefeated right now, this roster has several players from a final 4 roster and brought in a top 20 recruiting class and he lost to Temple and struggled to beat Delaware State at home... Delaware State was 2-22 last year. Nova's walk-on's are typically better than the players on Delaware State, that's not elite level coaching.

Neptune, while at Fordham last year, was off to decent start....9-5, they lost their best player right at start of conference play...and went on a 5 game losing steak- Antonio Daye Jr, who was a transfer averaging 17 ppg left the school.

Last edited:
Lot of Kyle Neptune fans online tonight. Me personally I'm not impressed, I'm not going to talk anymore about him.

Back on topic, rough night for BE, DePaul losses as well. Finished the Gavitt Games 2-6.

I don't care if Fordham hasn't won a game in 100 years. This Nova team doesn't look good under Neptune. I've watched them play 3 times now. I'd rank them in the bottom 4 in the BE right now.
And I don't care what he's doing at Nova my response was to what you had to say about what he did at Fordham.

And I don't care what he's doing at Nova my response was to what you had to say about what he did at Fordham.
Well, you're in the wrong thread then. The title of this thread is "Around the Big East."

You guys are the one's that brought up Fordham, I never mentioned Fordham in my original post. My original point was and remains that I don't think Kyle Neptune is looking like a good replacement for Jay Wright at Nova at this point in time. I'm pretty sure Fordham has a fan board to discuss how bad they were for decades if that's what you want to discuss, I just don't want to discuss it with you.

Have a good night!

Lot of Kyle Neptune fans online tonight. Me personally I'm not impressed, I'm not going to talk anymore about him.

Back on topic, rough night for BE, DePaul losses as well. Finished the Gavitt Games 2-6.

No one is impressed w Neptune or Holloway, yet no one wants to spew the cold hard facts. Wright transitioning to Neptune (1Y Fordham) was one of the most irresponsible and uncalled for hires in a long time. It was embarrassing to watch it happen in real time and here are the results. Who’s fault is it? That’s not our problem but man is it one.

Meanwhile are primed for a big year, the 2 coaches who owned us for a decade plus are long gone. Replaced by unqualified lightning in a bottle long shots. Our roster is loaded, if there is a time to believe it is right now. Get on the train, our administration has made all the right moves at the same time that our long term favorites are finally panicking.

Last edited:
There have been lots of hot mid-major coaches who jumped at the first big job offered and flamed out early. But this is a bit different: Neptune definitely rushed, but he wasn't in a position to turn it down regardless of his head coaching experience. If he turns down his dream job, the offer might not happen ever again if they strike gold with Plan B.

He did do 11 years as an assistant (eight at Nova), so it's not like he's totally clueless about what to expect.

Fordham was a toxic job. I suspect he took it because it would prepare him for literally every other job in the country if he did well there. He probably thought he'd be there a few more years . . . unless Jay knew he'd be leaving and told Neptune to go get some experience.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. If you are some random up and coming coach who's first high major opportunity will likely come at DePaul, Vanderbilt, Boston College, or some school like that, then yea 16-16 is a good job at Fordham. If you're taking over a program like Villanova, one of the winningest programs in the past 20 years, you want an elite level coach that dominated the lower level. 8-10 is not dominating.

And let's throw out anything at Fordham, This same roster Neptune has right now at Nova, Jay Wright would have them ranked in the top 10 and undefeated right now, this roster has several players from a final 4 roster and brought in a top 20 recruiting class and he lost to Temple and struggled to beat Delaware State at home... Delaware State was 2-22 last year. Nova's walk-on's are typically better than the players on Delaware State, that's not elite level coaching.
They didn’t hire him because they thought he was the best coach right now. They hired him because they thought he could be. That’s where I agree with you that it’s a dumb hire. As is often the case when making a legacy/family hire.

I don’t agree with you that anything he did at Fordham, which I’ll continue to say was impressive, means he can’t be a successful coach at Nova. Fordham has 5 .500 season since 1990. Neptune’s never had one under 😁

Rick pitino was 2-4 his first year as a D1 coach. And he didn’t light the world on fire either his first year at providence or again his first year at kentucky. 17-14 (7-9) at prov 14-14 (10-8) at kentuxky.

It is way too early to say neptune won’t work out IMO. But It’s not too early to say he is struggling.

Last edited:
Ewing embarrassed in Jamaica of all places...

Gtown will have to outside of the family for it's next coach. JTIII doesn't look so bad now, Hoya fans.

So are we saying that Jeff Neubauer should’ve been handed the keys to a blue blood after his first successful year on Rose Hill?

UConn, X, Creighton seem best bets to dance w remaining one or maybe two a crap shoot. Those three have a ton of size. To me Creighton stands above all BE, but w injuries you never know. If they avoid injuries of consequence Creighton has final 8 potential.

Easy to forget that Creighton almost had to fire McDermott a couple of years ago based on the inexcusable comments he made to his players. I'm glad it worked out. Great coach.

Back