Around the Big East

So are we saying that Jeff Neubauer should’ve been handed the keys to a blue blood after his first successful year on Rose Hill?
No not at all. I’m saying that going 8-10 doesn’t preclude you from becoming a good coach. Neptune may or may not be successful at nova. No one thinks he would have got the nova job if he wasn’t part of the program prior.

And If I was a nova fan I would have rather they searched far and wide for the best coach right now. Instead they invested in a guy they believe can someday be their next great coach. Wouldn’t be my choice but it’s way too soon to call it either way on him IMO.

No not at all. I’m saying that going 8-10 doesn’t preclude you from becoming a good coach. Neptune may or may not be successful at nova. No one thinks he would have got the nova job if he wasn’t part of the program prior.

And If I was a nova fan I would have rather they searched far and wide for the best coach right now. Instead they invested in a guy they believe can someday be their next great coach. Wouldn’t be my choice but it’s way too soon to call it either way on him IMO.
He’ll look like a better coach when Whitmore and Moore are back and playing hoops.

Second guessing this hire has me pondering what exactly happened w Wright in his last days there. He shocked everyone, including Neptune, and this decision was politely applauded with reservation. Now you look back at it and he gave Nova zero time to react. I am loving this.

Second guessing this hire has me pondering what exactly happened w Wright in his last days there. He shocked everyone, including Neptune, and this decision was politely applauded with reservation. Now you look back at it and he gave Nova zero time to react. I am loving this.
I would think Jay Wright wanted it to go to Neptune.

No one is impressed w Neptune or Holloway, yet no one wants to spew the cold hard facts. Wright transitioning to Neptune (1Y Fordham) was one of the most irresponsible and uncalled for hires in a long time. It was embarrassing to watch it happen in real time and here are the results. Who’s fault is it? That’s not our problem but man is it one.

Meanwhile are primed for a big year, the 2 coaches who owned us for a decade plus are long gone. Replaced by unqualified lightning in a bottle long shots. Our roster is loaded, if there is a time to believe it is right now. Get on the train, our administration has made all the right moves at the same time that our long term favorites are finally panicking.
I think you need to give them a few years. Not sure about Halliway but Neptune is solid. Nova missing probably their two best players now and still took Mich State to the wire.

UConn, X, Creighton seem best bets to dance w remaining one or maybe two a crap shoot. Those three have a ton of size. To me Creighton stands above all BE, but w injuries you never know. If they avoid injuries of consequence Creighton has final 8 potential.
Andrew
I think you are spot on. I do think if Nova can get healthy they will get some extra attention from the committee the way our friends at Syracuse have several times. I don't see more then five teams(maybe four) unless the conference starts winning some big games the rest of the out of conference season. That's why I believe the margin of error is slight for St. John's. Win almost all the remaining out of conference games and pick up some wins against UCONN, Creighton, Xavier and Villanova will help.

It will be interesting to see how PC does against Miami today. While this is not one of Miami’s better teams of late, they are at home for this contest where they have fared well over the years and Larranaga is an excellent coach.

Racially insensitive comments

At the time, I thought this was overplayed. I still do. Unfortunately, in this day and age people have little space to speak, without someone being offended.

It will be interesting to see how PC does against Miami today. While this is not one of Miami’s better teams of late, they are at home for this contest where they have fared well over the years and Larranaga is an excellent coach.
I believe the game is at Mohegan Sun as part of a tournament with St. Louis and Maryland. Either way it will be two tough games for Providence. A Willard-Cooley matchup would be interesting.

At the time, I thought this was overplayed. I still do. Unfortunately, in this day and age people have little space to speak, without someone being offended.

The only thing that matters is his players were offended. Doesn't matter how you or I or the media feel. He mis-spoke and used the word plantation. It appears his players were willing to accept his sincere apology and a positive came out of it.

Also might be worth nothing, Jay Wright, who I would say was the best college coach of the last decade, lost to Michigan buy 30 points at home in 18-19 and @ohio state by 25 points the year after. That’s one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Also might be worth nothing, Jay Wright, who I would say was the best college coach of the last decade, lost to Michigan buy 30 points at home in 18-19 and @ohio state by 25 points the year after. That’s one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Jay Wright even lost to our St John's team a few years ago who was 0-11 in the Big East at the time lol.

You are arguing the same thing I am, that he really wasn't qualified to be the Villanova coach and up to this point it doesn't look like he's a good replacement for Jay Wright. That's literally my whole entire point. I'm not sure how my original comment turned into a Fordham history lesson, who cares about Fordham's history, it's irrelevant in this conversation.

I hold Villanova to VERY high standards, it's a program I've always admired and like to watch. Everyone knows I'm a CMA fan, but if he left/got fired from St. John's and got hired at Villanova, I'd even be like hey CMA's resume isn't on par to be Villanova's head coach. Their standards are winning CHAMPIONSHIPS every year. The job he did at Fordham at 16-16, while admirable, nothing screamed this is a guy that's going to compete for a national championship every year.

UConn, X, Creighton seem best bets to dance w remaining one or maybe two a crap shoot. Those three have a ton of size. To me Creighton stands above all BE, but w injuries you never know. If they avoid injuries of consequence Creighton has final 8 potential.
That would be my top 3 as well. With St. John's, Marq, and Providence being the next 3 in no particular order. Then there's everyone else minus Georgetown in the next tier. Georgetown makes their own tier at the very bottom.

Nothing to live. Villanova being good is a positive for the Big East which is a positive for us

You are arguing the same thing I am, that he really wasn't qualified to be the Villanova coach and up to this point it doesn't look like he's a good replacement for Jay Wright. That's literally my whole entire point. I'm not sure how my original comment turned into a Fordham history lesson, who cares about Fordham's history, it's irrelevant in this conversation.

I hold Villanova to VERY high standards, it's a program I've always admired and like to watch. Everyone knows I'm a CMA fan, but if he left/got fired from St. John's and got hired at Villanova, I'd even be like hey CMA's resume isn't on par to be Villanova's head coach. Their standards are winning CHAMPIONSHIPS every year. The job he did at Fordham at 16-16, while admirable, nothing screamed this is a guy that's going to compete for a national championship every year.
MP you brought up Fordham when you said a guy who doesn’t dominate in the A-10 can’t make it in a major conference. For a one year sample size, going 8-10 at Fordham, I completely disagree that that’s enough to make that declaration. That’s all. I don’t disagree with you at all about it being a weak hire. Just that he’s shown he won’t work out. Do I think he’ll win championships at Nova? No, but that’s a tough barometer to judge a coach by and not sure anyone could have predicted Jay Wright doing the same when he was hired.

If his one year was at vcu, or a similarly consistently successful school and he had that same record, id be more inclined to agree with you. And If at the end of the year hes under 500 in the BE I’ll be more inclined to agree. Still, not enough to say it’s a failure. But 2-2 with a close win and a close loss when me and you were just trying to explain to everyone the other day how anyone can beat anyone in college ball, seems like it could just about happen to anybody, including Jay Wright.

Last edited:
If Providence beats Miami this afternoon they will play Willard whose team beat St. Louis by around 30.

MP you brought up Fordham when you said a guy who doesn’t dominate in the A-10 can’t make it in a major conference. For a one year sample size, going 8-10 at Fordham, I completely disagree that that’s enough to make that declaration. That’s all. I don’t disagree with you at all about it being a weak hire. Just that he’s shown he won’t work out. Do I think he’ll win championships at Nova? No, but that’s a tough barometer to judge a coach by and not sure anyone could have predicted Jay Wright doing the same when he was hired.

If his one year was at vcu, or a similarly consistently successful school and he had that same record, id be more inclined to agree with you. And If at the end of the year hes under 500 in the BE I’ll be more inclined to agree. Still, not enough to say it’s a failure. But 2-2 with a close win and a close loss when me and you were just trying to explain to everyone the other day how anyone can beat anyone in college ball, seems like it could just about happen to anybody, including Jay Wright.

This is a good point, you have me there. I have been vocal in saying anyone can beat anyone, especially early in the season. But, It's not so much about them losing more than how they've looked. Outside of that last 4 minute run last night, they haven't looked like Nova to me. But, time will tell on Neptune. I hope I'm wrong and he does well, he seems like a nice guy, never heard anything bad about him as a person, obviously Jay Wright has a lot of confidence in him, so we'll see what happens.

Back