Around the Big East

There is a clear drop off at Nova. Injuries aside Neptune coaching 1 year at Fordham is a stark difference on the sidelines with Wright not influencing the refs, in game adjustments, effective time outs. Thier free throw shooting a turnover margin was excellent as usual tonight, but this is a welcoming development for us and the rest of the league.

There is a clear drop off at Nova. Injuries aside Neptune coaching 1 year at Fordham is a stark difference on the sidelines with Wright not influencing the refs, in game adjustments, effective time outs. Thier free throw shooting a turnover margin was excellent as usual tonight, but this is a welcoming development for us and the rest of the league.
In a sense it’s welcome to us and the rest of the league. We are looking at a much leas daunting challenge. But the BE will need additional National presence(s) to keep striving as they have to date in new conference reconfiguration.

I actually think St John’s may be better positioned than most (not saying much) because at least a guy like Soriano can make Sanogo work for it but I have no idea what we do when he inevitably gets in foul trouble. Not much behind Soriano and certainly nobody that would keep Sanogo up at night.

Congrats to Jones. This team was extremely fortunate they landed a transfer of that caliber. The ceiling would be significantly lower without him.
Soriano has had a big learning curve and has both physically and basketball-wise gotten a ton better. That said, Sanogo will be a problem. As said, we are better equipped than many other with Soriano, Keita, Nywie, Stanley, Traore amongst others. We aren’t small like we used to be.

As the season rolls on, at 7’1+, with very quick feet and defensive instincts, I think Keita could give a few minutes defensively and cause problems with size and timing. He’s a guy a bit like UConn’s Thabeet and is raw, but a ton more athletic than I thought. He can come along slow, but will be utilized defensively for fouls and defense against teams that have an inside game. His size and athleticism at that size alone can help:

Lukosius is gonna be a problem in the BE. They said during tonight’s game Butler was 6-1 last year in games he scored double figures and 1-14 in games he didn’t.

Lukosius is gonna be a problem in the BE. They said during tonight’s game Butler was 6-1 last year in games he scored double figures and 1-14 in games he didn’t.

Matta convincing him to stay was a major coup. From the looks of tonight he has improved even more over the Summer. Crisp passing, understands angles, has put on great weight and plays his tail off.

I actually think St John’s may be better positioned than most (not saying much) because at least a guy like Soriano can make Sanogo work for it but I have no idea what we do when he inevitably gets in foul trouble. Not much behind Soriano and certainly nobody that would keep Sanogo up at night.

Congrats to Jones. This team was extremely fortunate they landed a transfer of that caliber. The ceiling would be significantly lower without him.
Keita going to have to grow up quickly

Tristen Newton with a triple double for UCONN last night - 22 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists to go with 4 steals. Only shot 4-14 from the field but was 14-17 from the line. Need to keep him off the line as he's shot 88% and 90% prior two years with ECU.

BE 1-3 so far in Big East Big Ten challenge, will be 1-4 if Hall loses this one with only winner Depaul!

Up to Johnnies (Nebraska), Xavier (Indiana) & Nova (Michigan State) to sweep last 3 for Big East to break even against Big Ten in this year's Gavitt Games.

BE 1-3 so far in Big East Big Ten challenge, will be 1-4 if Hall loses this one with only winner Depaul!
Depaul could be a surprise team this year. Gonna be interesting when Jones goes up against them. Jones has moved on but I'm sure Depaul still feels a little crunchy about how that played out.

Back