Around the Big East

Creighton beat Texas Tech by 11. Creighton is very good and well balanced. All five starters scored in double figures, several guys can shoot the 3 and they play tenacious man to man defense. Jay Bilas called them a Final Four caliber squad. If they stay healthy, they are going to be very formidable this season.

As an aside, I know that coaching staffs dress very casually when they play in Hawaii. All of the members of the Texas Tech staff were dressed in shorts. I can't say that I've seen that very often in all the years that I've followed college basketball.

The way they are looking NIT would be a stretch. Neptune is not looking like a good Jay Wright replacement so far.

My general thought is if a coach doesn't dominate in a mid-major/low major conference there's no way they can compete in high major conference. Kyle Neptune, went 8-10 in the Atlantic 10 last year. If you're a really good coach, if you have half-way decent players, you at least finish .500 in that conference, and make the NIT or CIT or something. You're only playing against 2-3 tournament caliber teams in all of conference play.
Posts like this make it clear you're not a NYer. Fordham has had 2 winning seasons in the last 30 years. A .500 record there is a momentous achievement. ;)

Posts like this make it clear you're not a NYer. Fordham has had 2 winning seasons in the last 30 years. A .500 record there is a momentous achievement. ;)

Didn't realize that this conversation was going to take on a life of it's own.

And I'm fine with Making Plays not liking hiring unproven assistants. That's his perogative. Arkansas has a lot of resources and has always been a big hire kind of school.

However,

1. Nova is a very good program, but Jay Wright was the blue blood, not the program.
1a. Nova has always been a legacy hire school. Lappas was a legacy hire with one accpetable year at Manhattan after 3 bad ones. Wright was also a legacy hire albeit one with significantly more success than Lappas or Neptune.
2. As much as they were paying Jay, Nova is still a small school, not a state run behemoth.
3. Kyle Neptune was always going to be Nova's next coach, I believe they told him to go to Fordham to get some experience before Jay left and he got the job, but I don't think many anticipated it being for just one year.
4. Fordham is Fordham and what he did there was commendable and definitely not bad enough for Nova to go back on their established plan.
5. They continue to play without two key players, if not their two best players, in the (whit)moore brothers. Let's see how bad his coaching looks if/when they both get back on the court for conference play.

Last edited:
As an aside, I know that coaching staffs dress very casually when they play in Hawaii. All of the members of the Texas Tech staff were dressed in shorts. I can't say that I've seen that very often in all the years that I've followed college basketball.
Mullin & Co....Battle for Atlantis20221121_182811.jpg

Creighton has whole package. I see them being a Final Four possibility, which has to please Val Ackerman in a year that so far looks imo as a bit down BE. Early though.

Patrick Ewing just needs to step down. He's ruining his Georgetown legacy at this point. He gave it a good try, got him 1 BE tournament championship, kids obviously aren't responding to him these past 2 years, high turnover every year, and trouble beating mid/low major teams, it's time to hang it up.

Back