Around College Basketball

Makes no sense. UConn will always be sub-DePaul in football.

They're not thinking about competitiveness , they're thinking about $$$ and UConn is a national brand compared to their mostly regional members of P12 2.0. Would also probably help UConn with FB recruiting so kind of a win win situation. No doubt that UConn would love a bigger conference but they don't want them. Hopefully any success in P12 if they join doesn't make them any more attractive.

UConn for football only????
The only way the PAC would take UConn football only is if they could not get any one else to fill out their 8th team. I imagine all of the remaining mountain west, NMst, UTEP, ND, NDst, Sac St, Montana and Idaho would all have to say no before UCONN getting a full football share would make sense. I am including 5 subdivision teams because I think they'd like the promotion and accept a partial share of TV.

As for UConn, an invite to PAC-12 for football only would be a huge win. They would get the 8M per year for the new big east contract and another 8M - 12M for a PAC-12 contract. That would only leave them $12M behind a Big 12 invite (that even if it was forth coming would surely be for a partial share).

They're not thinking about competitiveness , they're thinking about $$$ and UConn is a national brand compared to their mostly regional members of P12 2.0. Would also probably help UConn with FB recruiting so kind of a win win situation. No doubt that UConn would love a bigger conference but they don't want them. Hopefully any success in P12 if they join doesn't make them any more attractive.
I think it's the other way, I think UConn is thinking about trying to recoup some money for their football program. UConn football needs a conference more than any other conference needs them. UConn despite having hugely success men's and women's basketball programs manages to hemorrhage more money than a billionaire impulse buying a social media platform.

Anyway they can get money out of football with out committing their nationally recognized programs and Olympic sports to crazy travel expense they would job on. IMO.

*realignment gossip is the new 'recruit visits' gossip for me, can't get enough*

I am trying to figure it out.

I like the idea of nerfing their program. Send it out west, but is it a life support line? But traveling to play .500 ball over time with Fresno State sounds good, unless the Pac money and exposure starts boosting their program.

I read somewhere (maybe here, maybe bone-yard, too many websites) about having a pac east division with Villanova (FB only), Umass, Delaware. That sounds fine - right?

Just don't mess with basketball!

If I am Val I am calling Gonzaga now, calling St. Mary's now, and looking at all the options. I am getting the feeling that she is pretty passive, pretty useless, but I could be wrong.

This has been discussed in depth on this board, that while Gonzaga and/or St. Mary's might make sense for the Big East as far as basketball brands (even if a huge stretch with travel), there is no way it makes sense with all of the non revenue producing sports from those schools that would have to come along as well. Logistically and cost wise doesn't make sense.

I think it's the other way, I think UConn is thinking about trying to recoup some money for their football program. UConn football needs a conference more than any other conference needs them. UConn despite having hugely success men's and women's basketball programs manages to hemorrhage more money than a billionaire impulse buying a social media platform.

Anyway they can get money out of football with out committing their nationally recognized programs and Olympic sports to crazy travel expense they would job on. IMO.

*realignment gossip is the new 'recruit visits' gossip for me, can't get enough*

I guess my thinking depends on where this UConn P12 rumor emanated from. If it's just UConn throwing more shit against the wall then I agree with you. If it's a valid rumor coming from P12 administration I stand by my POV. If P12 goes in another direction I think UConn joining a non P4/5 conference for football only is they're best option to recoup any funds at all if any conference will take them. MAC makes sense with Buffalo and UMass as regional rivals and a more proper level of football for them.

Unlv, again, weighing $ offers from MW and Pac-12, but the real hope is to get into Big-12 power conference. The level of double dealing and misdirection is incredible. Surprised that nobody seems interested in Lobos.
What I don’t understand is why the Pac12 wouldn’t just invite the best 9 MWC teams and have that conference dissolved to start with.

It will be interesting to learn what went down when dust settles.

yukon is not wealthy. SMU raised $159 million in 2023-2024, a record-breaking amount, to prepare for its move to the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) on July 1, 2024. yukon offered the BIG16 a pittance of that to join, with the stipulation they couldn't participate til '29.

yukon is not wealthy. SMU raised $159 million in 2023-2024, a record-breaking amount, to prepare for its move to the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) on July 1, 2024. yukon offered the BIG16 a pittance of that to join, with the stipulation they couldn't participate til '29.
Right UConn Athletic department is a financial nightmare. According to the internet the average college with division 1 football subsidizes their athletic department to the tune of $14.9M UConn required a $35M subsidy to run their AD. Most college athletic programs are net losers (pure bottom line, I'm sure there is value in increasing applications, good will, advertisement etc) but UConn's cost the students/tax payers a surprisingly large amount. That's why they jump at any league affiliation that offers up some cash for football. They would have no problem being the Vanderbilt of the PAC-12 if it meant an extra $8-$12M in their coffers.

What I don’t understand is why the Pac12 wouldn’t just invite the best 9 MWC teams and have that conference dissolved to start with.

It will be interesting to learn what went down when dust settles.
Right! The MWC offered Cal, Stanford, Wazzu, and OSU membership when it was the PAC-4 and they all turned it down. Stanford and Cal obviously couldn't be in the MWC because their Olympic sports programs are first class, but OSU and Wazzu not joining. Then Wazzu and OSU sign a scheduling agreement with MW for a year with the promise they won't poach teams, only two immediately poach 5 teams!

They had a plan. That plan was to keep the teams that left the PAC-12 share of the TV income and to keep the name PAC-12 so they get a free pass into the CFB 12 team playoffs. Teresa Gould is savvier than one thousand George Kliavkoff'ss and a million Larry Scott's.

Although she had the advantage of not having to deal with USC which has to make things a lot easier.

while Gonzaga and/or St. Mary's might make sense for the Big East as far as basketball brands (even if a huge stretch with travel), there is no way it makes sense with all of the non revenue producing sports from those schools that would have to come along as well. Logistically and cost wise doesn't make sense.

So how is Gonzaga considering Basketball only to Pac? I don't care about their underwater basket-weaving teams, I just want their basketball.

If they can go basketball only there, why can't they go basketball only here?

Let's get off the bench and make a move if this bb only is a thing, and some schools are figuring it out. Invite
  • Gonzaga (bb only)
  • St. Mary's (bb only)
  • Dayton (bb or full - shut up Xavier )
and get to 14 teams.

It just seems we are sitting on our hands. California and Stanford are in the ACC. UCLA is in the same conference as Rutgers. Travel is meaningless seemingly for all the other conferences, let's make it meaningless for us, and just be creative with scheduling pairs and road trips to minimize costs and milage.

Right UConn Athletic department is a financial nightmare. According to the internet the average college with division 1 football subsidizes their athletic department to the tune of $14.9M UConn required a $35M subsidy to run their AD. Most college athletic programs are net losers (pure bottom line, I'm sure there is value in increasing applications, good will, advertisement etc) but UConn's cost the students/tax payers a surprisingly large amount. That's why they jump at any league affiliation that offers up some cash for football. They would have no problem being the Vanderbilt of the PAC-12 if it meant an extra $8-$12M in their coffers.
My understanding is that it took 9 votes to dissolve the MWC. So just offer the best 9. Maybe edit your bylaws first to allow a team to be voted out by a 2/3’s vote as well.

They’ve already accepted 5 and clearly want Air Force and UNLV. Would taking Nevada and New Mexico be that bad?

They must have really misread the interest from the AAC teams.

So how is Gonzaga considering Basketball only to Pac? I don't care about their underwater basket-weaving teams, I just want their basketball.

Let's get off the bench and make a move if this bb only is a thing, and some schools are figuring it out. Invite
  • Gonzaga (bb only)
  • St. Mary's (bb only)
and get to 14 teams.

It just seems we are sitting on our hands. California and Stanford are in the ACC. UCLA is in the same conference as Rutgers. Travel is meaningless seemingly for all the other conferences, let's make it meaningless for us, and just be creative with scheduling pairs and road trips to minimize costs and milage.
"Basketball only" is sometimes used as a term for "they're not playing football in the league." The Big East is often referred to by the media as a "basketball only league", but the other sports are played.

My guess is, if Gonzaga joins the Pac 12, that the other "non-revenue generating" sports would follow.

"Basketball only" is sometimes used as a term for "they're not playing football in the league." The Big East is often referred to by the media as a "basketball only league", but the other sports are played.

My guess is, if Gonzaga joins the Pac 12, that the other "non-revenue generating" sports would follow.
I believe only football can join for one sport — which is completely insane. There must be other really narrow exceptions for smaller sports as well.

We should petition the NCAA to allow Gonzaga as a basketball only. It would be huge financially. That’s a top 10 brand in college basketball and a new time slot. That would be massive. It also serves the NCAA by slowing down the eventual big conferences going off on their own.

I believe only football can join for one sport — which is completely insane. There must be other really narrow exceptions for smaller sports as well.

We should petition the NCAA to allow Gonzaga as a basketball only. It would be huge financially. That’s a top 10 brand in college basketball and a new time slot. That would be massive. It also serves the NCAA by slowing down the eventual big conferences going off on their own.
You think Gonzaga to the BE would slow down the big conferences from going off on their own? If that is their intention this would have zero effect on that decision. Marillac Marillac Marillac whatever are we going to do with you? 😉😊👍🤣

I think you can join any conference for one sport as long as the primary conference you're in doesn't offer it. So Gonzaga's rowing teams are in the clear. lol

But it's why you see Notre Dame hockey in the B10, BC/Providence/UConn all in the Hockey East, etc.

Being a UNLV fan sounds exhausting
They did that kid dirty. All UNLV recruits should be aware the coaching staff will not honor their NIL and attempt to retrade you.

I think you will hear more and more cases like this.

• Gonzaga (bb only)
  • St. Mary's (bb only)
and get to 14 teams.

There is rule that allows a school to base a sport program in a conference for that sport only as long as that sport is not sponsored by your conference (Denver in the Big East for Men’s and Women’s Lacrosse). Now you can remain Independent in a sport (ND football although they have to play at least five or six ACC games and UConn football). I am wondering if this rule is no longer in affect.

As for why not the Big East, word has been out there that Gonzaga was approached and very preliminary discussion were held. Then Gonzaga went radio silent. I take that to mean they don’t see a fit and want no part of the travel and logistics involved.

Val is not a wartime Consigliere (although she was the one who pushed UConn) but if a majority of the BE Presidents wanted to expand, they could instruct her to do so. Quite frankly I think the majority of the schools are happy with the present setup and don’t see any value to be added by expansion at this time unless a UConn type program (Gonzaga) is actually interested in making such a move.

I would love to have Gonzaga and wouldn’t mind Dayton joining the Big East, but other schools that have been mentioned for possible expansion don’t really move the needle for me.

Back