Around College Basketball

Latest rumors from Ed Graney, from LV Review Journal, re conference changes:
Air Force to join Army and Navy in AAC.
UNLV will act independent of Nevada.
UNLV first choice would be to join Big 12, but more likely to end up in Pac 12.
Pac 12 waiting on Memphis and Tulane. If they go west, that brings number of full members to nine.
UT-SA and South Florida also being considered by Pac 12.
MW, in order to survive would look at NM State, UTEP and various Dakota and Montana teams.
Serenity now.

Gonzaga leaving West Coast Conference to join Pac-12, source told @ActionNetworkHQ. Pac-12 still needs minimum of two football members by 2026, but Gonzaga, even w/out a football team, will receive a full conference revenue share in Pac-12, source said

Val targeting Iona 🫣
Can someone please put a mirror under Val's nose and see if there's any steam coming out.

Just heard on sports radio, the latest story is UNLV and Air Force have declined offers and are committed to remaining in the Mountain West. It may have something to do with the exit fees that would be imposed and possibly a $ incentive to stay.
That leaves conference with eight for football, seven for basketball.
This back and forth is ongoing and defies prediction.

Looks like they are getting a little desperate.
This is actually a great move by the PAC-12. It immediately invalidates UNLV’s commitment to stay in the mountain west. They agreed on 2 conditions, all tv fees would be bad up front and that all the remaining teams would stay. pac-12 grabbed USU. I bet UNLV calls begging for an invite now.

Might have been a little short sighted of UTSA , Memphis, and Tulane to decline.

This is actually a great move by the PAC-12. It immediately invalidates UNLV’s commitment to stay in the mountain west. They agreed on 2 conditions, all tv fees would be bad up front and that all the remaining teams would stay. pac-12 grabbed USU. I bet UNLV calls begging for an invite now.

Might have been a little short sighted of UTSA , Memphis, and Tulane to decline.
I don’t think UNLV was ever really in doubt.

If you take a program like Utah State, why not just take Nevada anyway?

This is wild.

Sounds like UNLV will make their decision today. If they decide to leave, the domino effect can lead to:
Air Force to AAC
PAC-8 inviting two more of the MWC teams in order to avoid over 100m in exit fees since the whole conference will dissolve.

Unlv, again, weighing $ offers from MW and Pac-12, but the real hope is to get into Big-12 power conference. The level of double dealing and misdirection is incredible. Surprised that nobody seems interested in Lobos.

Am I the only one who reads this as a net positive for the BE?
I am trying to figure it out.

I like the idea of nerfing their program. Send it out west, but is it a life support line? But traveling to play .500 ball over time with Fresno State sounds good, unless the Pac money and exposure starts boosting their program.

I read somewhere (maybe here, maybe bone-yard, too many websites) about having a pac east division with Villanova (FB only), Umass, Delaware. That sounds fine - right?

Just don't mess with basketball!

If I am Val I am calling Gonzaga now, calling St. Mary's now, and looking at all the options. I am getting the feeling that she is pretty passive, pretty useless, but I could be wrong.

I am trying to figure it out.

I like the idea of nerfing their program. Send it out west, but is it a life support line? But traveling to play .500 ball over time with Fresno State sounds good, unless the Pac money and exposure starts boosting their program.

I read somewhere (maybe here, maybe bone-yard, too many websites) about having a pac east division with Villanova (FB only), Umass, Delaware. That sounds fine - right?

Just don't mess with basketball!

If I am Val I am calling Gonzaga now, calling St. Mary's now, and looking at all the options. I am getting the feeling that she is pretty passive, pretty useless, but I could be wrong.

Those very small non-state schools have repeatedly turned down larger conference offers. Too expensive for all the other sports to travel. Wonder if basketball only offers would be (have been) more enticing but not sure you're allowed to do that with anything but football or other sports your conference partners don't play.

Back