Around College Basketball

I think the PAC-12 adding Gonzaga and St Mary’s for b-ball is a no brainer. Would be shocked if there weren’t already talks behind the scenes. Those 2 along with SDSU, Washington St, Oregon St, Colorado St, and possibly UNLV and Memphis, is a borderline power basketball conf. High quality multibid league every year.

I don't ever see a power conference adding a non-football school. SMU e.g. This landmark fundraising year was punctuated by an unprecedented $100 million donated in just seven days following the September 1 announcement that SMU would be joining the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) on July 1, 2024. These transformative gifts came from the newly formed First Week Society, a collection of 30 individuals whose generosity launched a $125 million campaign to support the department's transition to the ACC. yukon tried to join the BIG16 2 weeks ago to no avail. Just don't have that kind of cash and actually play 1A football.

I think the PAC-12 adding Gonzaga and St Mary’s for b-ball is a no brainer. Would be shocked if there weren’t already talks behind the scenes. Those 2 along with SDSU, Washington St, Oregon St, Colorado St, and possibly UNLV and Memphis, is a borderline power basketball conf. High quality multibid league every year.
Wichita State is also there for the taking.

While it is about College Football, this could be the start of what could become common practice for College Basketball and other College revenue producing sports as a way to raise funds with Revenue Sharing on the horizon.

From the Athletic:

“The University of Tennessee has a top-notch football team, record-breaking financials and another plan to use the former to build on the latter — with an eye on the future.

The university announced a 10 percent “talent fee” will be added to the cost of 2025 football season tickets, in preparation for the arrival of revenue sharing with college athletes. That, along with an initial 4.5 percent average increase, means Vols fans will pay 14.5 percent more on average for tickets next season…”

While it is about College Football, this could be the start of what could become common practice for College Basketball and other College revenue producing sports as a way to raise funds with Revenue Sharing on the horizon.

From the Athletic:

“The University of Tennessee has a top-notch football team, record-breaking financials and another plan to use the former to build on the latter — with an eye on the future.

The university announced a 10 percent “talent fee” will be added to the cost of 2025 football season tickets, in preparation for the arrival of revenue sharing with college athletes. That, along with an initial 4.5 percent average increase, means Vols fans will pay 14.5 percent more on average for tickets next season…”
Nothing but the best for the VOLS!

The 16 best 3-point shooters in men's college basketball this season, ranked by Andy Katz​

Can't agree with Brea as a number 1 when you consider the competition he went against. I remember against the likes of Houston he didn't fare that well and there are many SEC. teams with a similar level of talent and athleticism to Houston. If he fares as well in the Sec, I'll take it back but until he does so, I'll maintain my stance.

A lot of interesting info here.

Sounds like their top targets are Memphis, Tulane, and then UTSA, North Texas, South Florida and Texas State.
If they strike out, UNLV and Air Force.

Also, they aren't dismissing the idea of adding Gonzaga.

Supposedly UNLV is tying itself to Nevada
I would doubt that. UNLV has to jump at any offer before the ACC eruption changes the landscape of the second tier.

The MWC basketball tournament in Vegas was absolutely massive. I knew fans that planned their entire year around it. Would be a great get for the new PAC-12/10/8.

I would doubt that. UNLV has to jump at any offer before the ACC eruption changes the landscape of the second tier.

The MWC basketball tournament in Vegas was absolutely massive. I knew fans that planned their entire year around it. Would be a great get for the new PAC-12/10/8.
Makes too much since for it not to be the case. Otherwise they would be part of the initial group.

Makes too much since for it not to be the case. Otherwise they would be part of the initial group.
PAC 12 didn’t offer them. The PAC 12 holds all the cards now — excuse the pun.

UNLV is panicking big time. They will get in whatever lifeboat the PAC 12 sends them methinks.

PAC 12 didn’t offer them. The PAC 12 holds all the cards now — excuse the pun.

UNLV is panicking big time. They will get in whatever lifeboat the PAC 12 sends them methinks.
Why not offer them is my point, unless they are a package deal with someone you don’t want to invite. They make too much sense with the schools mentioned in the first wave and the ones mentioned as being involved moving forward.

Why not offer them is my point, unless they are a package deal with someone you don’t want to invite. They make too much sense with the schools mentioned in the first wave and the ones mentioned as being involved moving forward.
The backtracking has started...

I think the first four invites were to get leverage. Those 4 are big programs and WSU and OSU will have to share in their windfall I’d imagine. It’s also possible the 4 defections kills the MWC tv deal. There’s no way any network wants the leftovers for much more than half of what was contracted for.

UNLV isn’t a must have for the conference and will always be there. UNLV also has no leverage whatsoever to tack on Nevada.

Memphis, Hawaii, Air Force, USF…all attractive options now. Maybe even Uconn. That Hawaii time slot for a PAC 12 after dark would be a TV dream in this current legal betting climate.

I think the first four invites were to get leverage. Those 4 are big programs and WSU and OSU will have to share in their windfall I’d imagine. It’s also possible the 4 defections kills the MWC tv deal. There’s no way any network wants the leftovers for much more than half of what was contracted for.

UNLV isn’t a must have for the conference and will always be there. UNLV also has no leverage whatsoever to tack on Nevada.

Memphis, Hawaii, Air Force, USF…all attractive options now. Maybe even Uconn. That Hawaii time slot for a PAC 12 after dark would be a TV dream in this current legal betting climate.
It is crazy to me, that the pac or any west coast conference would turn to Tulane, North Texas, south Florida before including UNLV.

Back