Around College Basketball

The UNLV & Nevada Reno being a package deal may have been overstated in earlier reporting. But if I’m the Pac12, I’d probably take them anyway. Once you have Memphis, Tulane and UNLV, Reno is no worse than the other remaining options (San Jose st, Hawaii, Utah st, NM, Rice, Tulsa). All of those other choices suck and they don’t have the advantage of bringing UNLV with them. So makes sense that UNLV should be taken regardless

The UNLV & Nevada Reno being a package deal may have been overstated in earlier reporting. But if I’m the Pac12, I’d probably take them anyway. Once you have Memphis, Tulane and UNLV, Reno is no worse than the other remaining options (San Jose st, Hawaii, Utah st, NM, Rice, Tulsa). All of those other choices suck and they don’t have the advantage of bringing UNLV with them. So makes sense that UNLV should be taken regardless
Hawaii is unique because of the uncontested time slot. With betting legal almost everywhere, that’s a very attractive team for any tv deal. I would think any invite to them would come with major strings attached in the form of a delayed timeshare and serious investments into the athletic programs.

Air Force is also a unique program that attracts more eyes than the product probably deserves.

Nevada doesn’t do anything for TV and is a relatively weak football program…those would be the cons there.

Nevada-Reno doesn't make any sense since they dilute the money from the other schools in the PAC since it adds nothing.

I think UTSA is a much, much more sensible target & its no wonder they're a top target. Getting into Texas helps all of the other programs with recruiting, helps Memphis/Tulane scheduling-wise, and apparently, they're pouring in a lot of money into the program. San Antonio is also an interesting market to tap into.

One interesting tidbit about Hawaii is that they aren't full-fledged members of the MWC nor are their grant of rights with the conference. I could envision them moving to the PAC in a similar fashion for football-only to bolster the TV deal.

Pac 12 possibly shaping up to be a silly conference, but at least Tulane, Rice, and Air Force would make it seem like it still cares about academics in the wake of losing Stanford, Cal, UCLA, and USC.

A lot of different scenarios possible for the new PAC 12. Do they take two schools or four? Hawaii for football only? Does Air Force join the AAC?
Do they expand into central time zone, with Memphis and Tulane?
My guess is they take just UNLV and New Mexico as the next move.

Nevada-Reno doesn't make any sense since they dilute the money from the other schools in the PAC since it adds nothing.

I think UTSA is a much, much more sensible target & its no wonder they're a top target. Getting into Texas helps all of the other programs with recruiting, helps Memphis/Tulane scheduling-wise, and apparently, they're pouring in a lot of money into the program. San Antonio is also an interesting market to tap into.

One interesting tidbit about Hawaii is that they aren't full-fledged members of the MWC nor are their grant of rights with the conference. I could envision them moving to the PAC in a similar fashion for football-only to bolster the TV deal.
I would imagine Hawaii would be a football only invite.

SMU could be kicking themselves soon when the big football schools leave the ACC before they collect any money.

RSR conference shake up predictions after nailing the nobody wants UConn one.

Pac-12: the Pac-12 creates a Pac East and Pac West. They currently have the Pac West and will add UTSA, Tulane, Memphis, USF, Rice and North Texas. This is unless the MWC folds and the Pac doesn’t have to pay any exit fees to NWC then they will take USU, UNLV, and round the conference out some combination of SJSU AF and Reno.

ACC - nobody wants FSU and Clemson anymore because they can’t field competitive football teams. (Yes I’m declaring FSU done they had one good year against a weak schedule) both Clemson and FSU are stuck with massive coaching contracts with huge buy outs, Norvell can’t win and Sweeney can only win with generational talents at QB. Also he is too arrogant to use the transfer portal. The Sec and Big 10 will not want to share the revenue with these two and they are too proud to join the Big-12.

Nothing changes in the ACC except they may throw Clemson, FSU a couple dollars to drop the lawsuit.

Stanford and Cal do not return to the PAC-12 (Stanford because they are rich and great at non revenue sports. Something about beating up on Boise State in swimming and diving just doesn’t do it for them). Cal because leaving the ACC would be expensive.

Gonzaga - waits to see how the PAC-12 shakes out and if it goes well (and stays mostly or all west coast) joins as a non football member. Between SDSt, Gonzaga, and BSU. The Pac-12 manages to scrap together a nice little basketball conference.

I’m very curious to see if the ACC takes the Florida State/Clemson proposal. Aside from unequal revenue, it’d shorten the grant of rights to 2030 (up from 2036).

This would lineup a lot of conference tv rights deals ending at around the same time, and probably means a huge reshuffle by then.

Gonzaga leaving West Coast Conference to join Pac-12, source told @ActionNetworkHQ. Pac-12 still needs minimum of two football members by 2026, but Gonzaga, even w/out a football team, will receive a full conference revenue share in Pac-12, source said

Val targeting Iona 🫣

Last edited:
Gonzaga leaving West Coast Conference to join Pac-12, source told @ActionNetworkHQ. Pac-12 still needs minimum of two football members by 2026, but Gonzaga, even w/out a football team, will receive a full conference revenue share in Pac-12, source said

Val targeting Iona 🫣
Losing out on Gonzaga will ultimately kill the Big East…just like losing BYU killed the PAC-12.

Big time move by the PAC-12 here. They couldn’t have had a better September.

Full revenue share for the Zags is a tremendous get. Although I don’t see that happening at the other P4 leagues. Basketball only schools needed a precedent and Gonzaga just opened the door.

Back