Around College Basketball

paultzman

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter
@PeteThamel

Sources: The NCAA Division I Council decided today that fall sport student-athletes can compete in any amount of competitions this year and it will not count as a season of eligibility. This still needs to be approved by NCAA Board of Governors on Friday.

[quote="MarkRedman" post=396741]Big man Valdir Manuel, a former St John's recruit ,has committed to New Mexico per Zags[/quote]

Be nice Moose. Be nice. :whistle:

[quote="Moose" post=396743][quote="MarkRedman" post=396741]Big man Valdir Manuel, a former St John's recruit ,has committed to New Mexico per Zags[/quote]

Be nice Moose. Be nice. :whistle:[/quote]

[attachment=1578]BF21C585-C9DD-480E-A68B-95CDBE98123E.jpeg[/attachment]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote="MarkRedman" post=396741]Big man Valdir Manuel, a former St John's recruit ,has committed to New Mexico per Zags[/quote]

He’s gonna have gear from 5 different colleges

[quote="SJU14" post=396751][quote="MarkRedman" post=396741]Big man Valdir Manuel, a former St John's recruit ,has committed to New Mexico per Zags[/quote]

He’s gonna have gear from 5 different colleges[/quote]

Vald the committer.

Huge news!!!!! The cdc today announced you should not be testing healthy or asymptomatic people anymore. This should negate the need for a bubble and let fans in the stands!!!!!

Wonderful news for the sports world and the country as a whole!!!! We can finally get back to normal and its long overdue.

[quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396878]Huge news!!!!! The cdc today announced you should not be testing healthy or asymptomatic people anymore. This should negate the need for a bubble and let fans in the stands!!!!!

Wonderful news for the sports world and the country as a whole!!!! We can finally get back to normal and its long overdue.[/quote]

I don’t see the correlation between what the CDC said and having a bubble. The bubble eliminates outside contact, nothing to do with testing.

[quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396878]Huge news!!!!! The cdc today announced you should not be testing healthy or asymptomatic people anymore. This should negate the need for a bubble and let fans in the stands!!!!!

Wonderful news for the sports world and the country as a whole!!!! We can finally get back to normal and its long overdue.[/quote]

Link:
[URL]https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/diagnostic-testing.html#who-should-get-tested[/URL]

That isn't new guidance, and I'm not sure what one thing (who should be tested) has to do with the other (return to normal).

Cases are low (around here) due to a combination of (1) some degree of immunity because of the huge number of cases; (2) mask wearing; (3) limited indoor activity and exposure. Cases will continue to remain low as long as the last two things remain true.

When the last two things are no longer true, cases will rise unless (1) immunity is far more widespread than is currently thought (and by the way there are now cases of reinfection, although the antibodies from the first infection seem to help in minimizing severity) or (2) a reliable vaccine or vaccines exist.

In short, no remotely competent public health official thinks that large in-person indoor gatherings are a good idea (i.e, you can forget about college basketball with fans unless it's in a bubble).

Oh, and wear a mask.

Didn't you mean "Yuge News"...?

[quote="lawmanfan" post=396880][quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396878]Huge news!!!!! The cdc today announced you should not be testing healthy or asymptomatic people anymore. This should negate the need for a bubble and let fans in the stands!!!!!

Link:
[URL]https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/diagnostic-testing.html#who-should-get-tested[/URL]

In short, no remotely competent public health official thinks that large in-person indoor gatherings are a good idea (i.e, you can forget about college basketball with fans unless it's in a bubble).(/quote]

And by large you mean over 10 people.
Mrs. North is head of medical affairs in the Great White North for a large US Pharmaceutical company. If and when there is a vaccine, earliest being sometime in mid 2021, it will first be given to the military, then all personnel who work in the medical field or with sick persons, and so on. It will not be readily available to everyone as you may be led to believe. It will take years for it to be available to the entire population. Sorry but those are the cold hard facts as unpleasant as it may be for some to accept.
Wash your hands repeatedly, social distance and wear a mask.

Friday an otherwise healthy 19 year old young man who played sports died of the virus in Montreal. Not common at all but it does occur.

Last edited:
[quote="SJU14" post=396879][quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396878]Huge news!!!!! The cdc today announced you should not be testing healthy or asymptomatic people anymore. This should negate the need for a bubble and let fans in the stands!!!!!

I don’t see the correlation between what the CDC said and having a bubble. The bubble eliminates outside contact, nothing to do with testing.[/quote]

Because 99% of these athletes testing positive have no symptoms or are false positives. So if u dont test healthy people, u dont get positive results. No positive results equals play as usual. No need for a bubble.

[quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396883]

Because 99% of these athletes testing positive have no symptoms or are false positives. So if u dont test healthy people, u dont get positive results. No positive results equals play as usual. No need for a bubble.[/quote]

In related news, if you conduct no pregnancy tests, you have no pregnancies.

[quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396883]
Because 99% of these athletes testing positive have no symptoms or are false positives. So if u dont test healthy people, u dont get positive results. No positive results equals play as usual. No need for a bubble.[/quote]

We'd all love it if you were correct. I think the prevailing wisdom is that there won't be play as usual for a long time in most sports. Years not months. Best case scenario is I think a conference only season with no fans this season (likely starting in January but that has not been officially decided) and a full season next season probably with no or limited fans - best case. Both of those are still very much up in the air and I don't think anyone has an idea of when normal comes back, if ever. There are also some who believe there won't be any college ball this season and that is not out of the realm either.

[quote="Paul Massell" post=396888][quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396883]

We'd all love it if you were correct. I think the prevailing wisdom is that there won't be play as usual for a long time in most sports. Years not months. Best case scenario is I think a conference only season with no fans this season (likely starting in January but that has not been officially decided) and a full season next season probably with no or limited fans - best case. Both of those are still very much up in the air and I don't think anyone has an idea of when normal comes back, if ever. There are also some who believe there won't be any college ball this season and that is not out of the realm either.[/quote]

Years? That will be the end of most sports.

[quote="Knight" post=396889][quote="Paul Massell" post=396888][quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396883]

We'd all love it if you were correct. I think the prevailing wisdom is that there won't be play as usual for a long time in most sports. Years not months. Best case scenario is I think a conference only season with no fans this season (likely starting in January but that has not been officially decided) and a full season next season probably with no or limited fans - best case. Both of those are still very much up in the air and I don't think anyone has an idea of when normal comes back, if ever. There are also some who believe there won't be any college ball this season and that is not out of the realm either.[/quote]

Years? That will be the end of most sports.[/quote]

Its mind boggling how tight some are holding onto this. Its almost like they dont want to return to normaol life. Covid is the lowest its been in months. Basketball and baseball doing well and will do even better now w/o these bs asymptomatic results.

The NFL is starting up and they showed you this weekend these bs test results wont stop them. College football is starting up and they just picked a date for when they will pick the playoff teams. That tells u they are fully confident in a season. Most teams will even have fans in the stands.

Stop with the “if the season even gets played” stuff. Thats over. The world is returning to normal. Embrace it and be happy!!!!!

[quote="Knight" post=396889][quote="Paul Massell" post=396888][quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396883]

I'm an optimist. I think that by next spring or summer there will be a combination of enough immunity, a vaccine or vaccines, improved treatment options, and hopefully much better behavior on the part of much more of the public that there will be a much greater return to normal life.

However, that time is most definitely not now and it won't be this winter.

Sports are going to take a huge economic hit (and by extension colleges) this year and probably another large (but smaller) one in 2021. The owners/colleges who got used to this being a one-way street of returns and value only going in one direction may have to remember that past performance is no guarantee of future results, absorb the hit, and maybe tweak their models/expectations some.

But we'll all be fine. Just not now or this season is all.

However, one thing that can defeat my optimism is if large parts of the public continue to be so obstinately stupid and selfish that they prevent progress in the right direction. It's easy to call out the college kids (see, UNC, ND, etc), but in truth they're just a sample group of a larger population that divides along lines that aren't quite as age-based.

Duke, for some reason what came to mind reading your last post was a Mad Magazine spoof of surfer movies back in the 50's. The premise was that if an American surfer could ever ride the "Great Wave Ira" it would mean the end of world Communism. The world works like that only in Mad Magazine. Otherwise we are stuck with the science, wherever it leads us. Viruses don't vote, although I suspect that most of them route against Duke and Syracuse.

[quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396891][quote="Knight" post=396889][quote="Paul Massell" post=396888][quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396883]

Its mind boggling how tight some are holding onto this. Its almost like they dont want to return to normaol life. Covid is the lowest its been in months. Basketball and baseball doing well and will do even better now w/o these bs asymptomatic results.

The NFL is starting up and they showed you this weekend these bs test results wont stop them. College football is starting up and they just picked a date for when they will pick the playoff teams. That tells u they are fully confident in a season. Most teams will even have fans in the stands.

Stop with the “if the season even gets played” stuff. Thats over. The world is returning to normal. Embrace it and be happy!!!!![/quote]

Like I said, I'd love it if you were correct. Here's the problem though even if you are 100% right about bs tests and covid. Decisions are not made upon pure logic or truth. They are largely based upon perception. Look at the perception just in this thread. Especially in today's climate, big decision makers, politicians, business leaders etc, make decisions upon perception. Little else matters. Certainly not making hard choices or doing the right thing. So look at the prevailing wisdom and unless the prevailing winds change, that is where we are headed.

Back