Around College Basketball

[quote="lawmanfan" post=396886][quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396883]

Because 99% of these athletes testing positive have no symptoms or are false positives. So if u dont test healthy people, u dont get positive results. No positive results equals play as usual. No need for a bubble.[/quote]

In related news, if you conduct no pregnancy tests, you have no pregnancies.[/quote]

Aw, you beat me to that! Amazing that people think that if you don't test, there are no cases. Mind boggling to say the least.

[quote="fan since 65" post=397134][quote="lawmanfan" post=396886][quote="Duke of Earlington" post=396883]

Because 99% of these athletes testing positive have no symptoms or are false positives. So if u dont test healthy people, u dont get positive results. No positive results equals play as usual. No need for a bubble.[/quote]

In related news, if you conduct no pregnancy tests, you have no pregnancies.[/quote]

Aw, you beat me to that! Amazing that people think that if you don't test, there are no cases. Mind boggling to say the least.[/quote]

At least in that scenario you avoid a lot of stress caused by false positives !

I hate to contribute further to a thread going off-topic, but I will for the following P.S.A.:

Folks, this just isn't that hard.

1. Avoid indoor gatherings with people you haven't been quarantined with
2. If Rule #1 can't be applied, then keep it as short as possible, stay as far apart as possible, and wear a damn mask.
3. If you're outside, then STILL stay as far apart as possible, and if you're ~6 feet or closer - wear a damn mask.
4. If you have symptoms, or if you think you might have been exposed to an infected person, then quarantine and get tested.

If everyone had followed those instructions from the beginning (you know, like all of the other developed countries in the world), we would probably have about 150,000 fewer dead Americans, the economy would be in much better shape, and we would all be a hell of a lot closer to living more normal lives (and having sports).

We can still start making progress in that direction NOW, while we are waiting for the development of a reliable vaccine or vaccines and more effective treatments that will help speed us on our way to recovery.

From a governmental standpoint, the answer is also not that hard. Send a single, clear consistent message about the individual responsibilities outlined above. Put resources into testing, the mass production of PPE, and vaccine development.

The more you test, the more cases you will find. A lot of those cases will be asymptomatic. Asymptomatic people can still spread the virus. So if you find the cases, you can quarantine them, do contact tracing, and stop the virus from spreading further.

It's true that some populations have higher risk than others. But people in the low-risk populations are the ones who spread it to the high-risk populations. So unless our sense of society and community has completely broken down, we are all in this together.

It's just not that freaking hard.

[quote="lawmanfan" post=397137]I hate to contribute further to a thread going off-topic, but I will for the following P.S.A.:

Folks, this just isn't that hard.

1. Avoid indoor gatherings with people you haven't been quarantined with
2. If Rule #1 can't be applied, then keep it as short as possible, stay as far apart as possible, and wear a damn mask.
3. If you're outside, then STILL stay as far apart as possible, and if you're ~6 feet or closer - wear a damn mask.
4. If you have symptoms, or if you think you might have been exposed to an infected person, then quarantine and get tested.

If everyone had followed those instructions from the beginning (you know, like all of the other developed countries in the world), we would probably have about 150,000 fewer dead Americans, the economy would be in much better shape, and we would all be a hell of a lot closer to living more normal lives (and having sports).

We can still start making progress in that direction NOW, while we are waiting for the development of a reliable vaccine or vaccines and more effective treatments that will help speed us on our way to recovery.

From a governmental standpoint, the answer is also not that hard. Send a single, clear consistent message about the individual responsibilities outlined above. Put resources into testing, the mass production of PPE, and vaccine development.

The more you test, the more cases you will find. A lot of those cases will be asymptomatic. Asymptomatic people can still spread the virus. So if you find the cases, you can quarantine them, do contact tracing, and stop the virus from spreading further.

It's true that some populations have higher risk than others. But people in the low-risk populations are the ones who spread it to the high-risk populations. So unless our sense of society and community has completely broken down, we are all in this together.

It's just not that freaking hard.[/quote]

Well said, Lawman. And yep, it just ain't that hard.

[quote="Tonyinfairfield " post=397091][quote="Paultzman" post=397090]Goodman’s “ Will College Hoops Be Played This Season? More Than 250 D-1 ADs Weigh In”

https://watchstadium.com/will-colle...on-more-than-250-d-1-ads-weigh-in-08-26-2020/[/quote]

Just heard Cragg say on a Webex that he's hopeful for a November start time, but is less hopeful about people in the stands.[/quote]

What great news. To have st johns basketball back 3 months from now would be great for all of us. Cant wait to see the team this year.

[quote="lawmanfan" post=397137 So unless our sense of society and community has completely broken down,[/quote]

How long were you in a coma for?

[quote="austour" post=397161][quote="lawmanfan" post=397137 So unless our sense of society and community has completely broken down,[/quote]

How long were you in a coma for?[/quote]
I'm an optimist, what can I tell ya

Last edited:
[quote="Moose" post=397304]The NCAA has trademarked "Battle in the Bubble" per Rothstein[/quote]

Yuck

Rothstein
Source: Indianapolis --- the home of the NCAA's national office --- is another location that has emerged as a candidate to host a bubble during the upcoming college basketball season.

[quote="Paultzman" post=397392]https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1300840309279076353?s=21[/quote]

Sadly every day another school seems to be making changes. This has been a common theme for months. I know too many people at different athletic depts getting laid off. A few have held strong but they are the select minority.

“From source: If conference can pass updated safety measures and procedures, Big Ten targeting Oct. 10 to start football season.” - Dan Patrick

[quote="Paultzman" post=397399]“From source: If conference can pass updated safety measures and procedures, Big Ten targeting Oct. 10 to start football season.” - Dan Patrick[/quote]

Trump called them today and set them straight. With the lawsuits piling up and the ridiculousness of this decision in the first place, this is the right thing to do. It is long overdue that we get back to normal life. There is nothing to worry about.

[quote="Duke of Earlington" post=397401][quote="Paultzman" post=397399]“From source: If conference can pass updated safety measures and procedures, Big Ten targeting Oct. 10 to start football season.” - Dan Patrick[/quote]

Trump called them today and set them straight. With the lawsuits piling up and the ridiculousness of this decision in the first place, this is the right thing to do. It is long overdue that we get back to normal life. There is nothing to worry about.[/quote]
Central Arkansas played last Saturday and just came back with zero positive tests.

[quote="bamafan" post=397406][quote="Duke of Earlington" post=397401][quote="Paultzman" post=397399]“From source: If conference can pass updated safety measures and procedures, Big Ten targeting Oct. 10 to start football season.” - Dan Patrick[/quote]

Trump called them today and set them straight. With the lawsuits piling up and the ridiculousness of this decision in the first place, this is the right thing to do. It is long overdue that we get back to normal life. There is nothing to worry about.[/quote]
Central Arkansas played last Saturday and just came back with zero positive tests.[/quote]

just awesome news. Im still holding out hope we can have basketball games in Carnessecca/MSG this year and fans can attend.

[quote="Duke of Earlington" post=397401][quote="Paultzman" post=397399]“From source: If conference can pass updated safety measures and procedures, Big Ten targeting Oct. 10 to start football season.” - Dan Patrick[/quote]

Trump called them today and set them straight.[/quote]

He's the main reason we're in the mess we're in. What's he going to set anyone straight about?

[quote="Duke of Earlington" post=397408]
just awesome news. Im still holding out hope we can have basketball games in Carnessecca/MSG this year and fans can attend.[/quote]

How many seats do we need filled to break even at MSG, though? Are there that many seats available after ones are blocked off for distancing that I assume will still be going on in the foreseeable future? I think you should probably focus 100 percent of energy on Carnesecca . . . MSG might be a pipe dream this season. Carnesecca with no fans seems the likeliest option to me, since the lights are the only cost.

Back