Around College Basketball

Source: The Men's and Women's Basketball Oversight Committee will propose a start date of November 25th to the Division 1 Council for the 20-21 college basketball season.

Source: The Men's and Women's Basketball Oversight Committee will also propose no college basketball scrimmages and exhibitions to the Division 1 Council due to health and safety reasons related to COVID-19.

Rothstein

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote="L J S A" post=397414][quote="Duke of Earlington" post=397408]
just awesome news. Im still holding out hope we can have basketball games in Carnessecca/MSG this year and fans can attend.[/quote]

How many seats do we need filled to break even at MSG, though? Are there that many seats available after ones are blocked off for distancing that I assume will still be going on in the foreseeable future? I think you should probably focus 100 percent of energy on Carnesecca . . . MSG might be a pipe dream this season. Carnesecca with no fans seems the likeliest option to me, since the lights are the only cost.[/quote]

The problem with break even is normally you just need lower level. But with distancing you would need 2 levels and therefore more ushers, concessions etc.. Obviously many layers heck maybe they dont open concessions. That's happened before at normal games. But you get the point.

Indoor venues with large crowds are the biggest risk as has been pointed out many times. If we play, got to think it will be in bubble type atmosphere. They seem to be doing a great job at the Tennis US Open btw.

I went to a restaurant to have dinner with friends tonight on Long Island. It was a beautiful night and we sat outside. I went inside to use "the facilities" before we left. Every seat at the bar was taken and people were literally sitting shoulder to shoulder with no masks, obviously. It looked no different than it would have pre pandemic.

People are just not taking this situation seriously enough. I am convinced that there will be another wave of the virus largely due to the fact that too many people are unwilling to take the appropriate precautionary measures.

[quote="Paultzman" post=397416]Source: The Men's and Women's Basketball Oversight Committee will propose a start date of November 25th to the Division 1 Council for the 20-21 college basketball season.

Source: The Men's and Women's Basketball Oversight Committee will also propose no college basketball scrimmages and exhibitions to the Division 1 Council due to health and safety reasons related to COVID-19.

Rothstein[/quote]
Exhibition games inherently more dangerous than regular season games. :silly:

[quote="MarkRedman" post=397438]I went to a restaurant to have dinner with friends tonight on Long Island. It was a beautiful night and we sat outside. I went inside to use "the facilities" before we left. Every seat at the bar was taken and people were literally sitting shoulder to shoulder with no masks, obviously. It looked no different than it would have pre pandemic.

People are just not taking this situation seriously enough. I am convinced that there will be another wave of the virus largely due to the fact that too many people are unwilling to take the appropriate precautionary measures.[/quote]

As a followup, Gov. Cuomo recently announced that any college in New York State that has a certain number of students testing positive for COVID (I believe that the number is 100 or so) or if a certain percentage of the student body tests positive (I believe around 3%), the school must immediately fully stop all in person instruction and switch to a 100% virtual learning model for two weeks.

It's only September 1st and SUNY Oneonta has already been cited and has shut down in class instruction for two weeks. Allegedly, well over 100 Oneonta students recently attended an "unsanctioned" party without wearing masks.

As they say, "kids will be kids". Too many of them think that, because they are young and most have strong immune systems, they are not in jeopardy. As a retired educator with 34 years in the field, this mindset does not surprise me at all. I fully expect more of the same in the weeks ahead.

[quote="MarkRedman" post=397443][quote="MarkRedman" post=397438]I went to a restaurant to have dinner with friends tonight on Long Island. It was a beautiful night and we sat outside. I went inside to use "the facilities" before we left. Every seat at the bar was taken and people were literally sitting shoulder to shoulder with no masks, obviously. It looked no different than it would have pre pandemic.

People are just not taking this situation seriously enough. I am convinced that there will be another wave of the virus largely due to the fact that too many people are unwilling to take the appropriate precautionary measures.[/quote]

As a followup, Gov. Cuomo recently announced that any college in New York State that has a certain number of students testing positive for COVID (I believe that the number is 100 or so) or if a certain percentage of the student body tests positive (I believe around 3%), the school must immediately fully stop all in person instruction and switch to a 100% virtual learning model for two weeks.

It's only September 1st and SUNY Oneonta has already been cited and has shut down in class instruction for two weeks. Allegedly, well over 100 Oneonta students recently attended an "unsanctioned" party without wearing masks.

As they say, "kids will be kids". Too many of them think that, because they are young and most have strong immune systems, they are not in jeopardy. As a retired educator with 34 years in the field, this mindset does not surprise me at all. I fully expect more of the same in the weeks ahead.[/quote]
Have also heard the opinion that it is better for infected students to stay on campus and quarantine than to go home and possibly spread it to family members who may be more at risk for more serious consequences.

[quote="bamafan" post=397449][quote="MarkRedman" post=397443][quote="MarkRedman" post=397438]I went to a restaurant to have dinner with friends tonight on Long Island. It was a beautiful night and we sat outside. I went inside to use "the facilities" before we left. Every seat at the bar was taken and people were literally sitting shoulder to shoulder with no masks, obviously. It looked no different than it would have pre pandemic.

As they say, "kids will be kids". Too many of them think that, because they are young and most have strong immune systems, they are not in jeopardy. As a retired educator with 34 years in the field, this mindset does not surprise me at all. I fully expect more of the same in the weeks ahead.[/quote]
Have also heard the opinion that it is better for infected students to stay on campus and quarantine than to go home and possibly spread it to family members who may be more at risk for more serious consequences.[/quote]

I agree with your comment but that was not the point of my post. Here is an article from today's Newsday about irresponsible behavior from students at Roslyn High School. These kids could easily spread the disease to family members. I have known the principal, Scott Andrews, for many years. He is highly regarded and known to be a straight shooter.

[URL]https://www.newsday.com/long-island/education/roslyn-seniors-party-1.48838714[/URL]

1. There may be a number of (essentially meaningless) college football games in a few conferences.

2. The point of the delayed start is to permit the conferences flexibility to (again) reverse field and shut down before they start if there is a resurgence of the virus.

3. There will be no fans, except possibly in a couple of redneck states. The ACC for instance has already announced no fans. If the B1G restarts they will almost certainly have no fans. So that leaves the $EC.

4. The delayed start for college basketball also permits greater flexibility in cancelling the season if needed.

5. If there are games played there will be no fans.

To the extent there are college or professional sports this year, they are all basically exhibition games. It's just about the leagues and schools trying to keep some money coming in.

bamafan wrote: Have also heard the opinion that it is better for infected students to stay on campus and quarantine than to go home and possibly spread it to family members who may be more at risk for more serious consequences.

Dr. Fauci was just expressing exactly that opinion on the Today show.

[quote="lawmanfan" post=397456]1. There may be a number of (essentially meaningless) college football games in a few conferences.

2. The point of the delayed start is to permit the conferences flexibility to (again) reverse field and shut down before they start if there is a resurgence of the virus.

3. There will be no fans, except possibly in a couple of redneck states. The ACC for instance has already announced no fans. If the B1G restarts they will almost certainly have no fans. So that leaves the $EC.

4. The delayed start for college basketball also permits greater flexibility in cancelling the season if needed.

To the extent there are college or professional sports this year, they are all basically exhibition games. It's just about the leagues and schools trying to keep some money coming in.[/quote]

Nothing else is getting canceled. None of these games are meaningless. These are not glorified scrimmages they are real games just like any other year. Not nice calling people rednecks. Be happy. Everything is getting back to normal. Its a beautiful thing.

[quote="NCJohnnie" post=397457]bamafan wrote: Have also heard the opinion that it is better for infected students to stay on campus and quarantine than to go home and possibly spread it to family members who may be more at risk for more serious consequences.

Dr. Fauci was just expressing exactly that opinion on the Today show.[/quote]

Agree. My kid is in college in NC and that's what they're doing - symptoms or exposed they send you to "Quarantine Hotel." Probably a better call than sending them home, and gives the school a better shot at keeping kids on campus until Thanksgiving.

[quote="Duke of Earlington" post=397458][quote="lawmanfan" post=397456]1. There may be a number of (essentially meaningless) college football games in a few conferences.

To the extent there are college or professional sports this year, they are all basically exhibition games. It's just about the leagues and schools trying to keep some money coming in.[/quote]

Nothing else is getting canceled. None of these games are meaningless. These are not glorified scrimmages they are real games just like any other year. Not nice calling people rednecks. Be happy. Everything is getting back to normal. Its a beautiful thing.[/quote]

With all due respect, we're a long, long ways from getting back to normal.

I remember a time in my life when hormone driven behavior out ranked virus driven behavior in terms of motivation. I don't think I will tell my grandkids about that era, just leave it to their parents.

[quote="MarkRedman" post=397443][quote="MarkRedman" post=397438]I went to a restaurant to have dinner with friends tonight on Long Island. It was a beautiful night and we sat outside. I went inside to use "the facilities" before we left. Every seat at the bar was taken and people were literally sitting shoulder to shoulder with no masks, obviously. It looked no different than it would have pre pandemic.

As a former kid, that doesn't surprise me too. I think too many of the old farts on this board(that includes me) and in general, forget what it was like to be young and carefree. Not defending their actions, but I'm relatively sure that I would have had the same mentality and behaved similarly when I was that age.

Last edited:
[quote="Monte" post=397475][quote="MarkRedman" post=397443][quote="MarkRedman" post=397438]I went to a restaurant to have dinner with friends tonight on Long Island. It was a beautiful night and we sat outside. I went inside to use "the facilities" before we left. Every seat at the bar was taken and people were literally sitting shoulder to shoulder with no masks, obviously. It looked no different than it would have pre pandemic.

As a former kid, that doesn't surprise me too. I think too many of the old farts on this board(that includes me) and in general, forget what it was like to be young and carefree. Not defending their actions, but I'm relatively sure that I would have had the same mentality and behaved similarly when I was that age.[/quote]

I could not agree more, and the fact is, if many of the old farts who want the world as we have known it to end, bothered to talk to the "young and carefree", many I have spoken to realize they have been lied to and manipulated about this virus from day one.

Not a popular statement I know, but to quote from Kids Prayer by Dan Bern:
"Tell your kids the truth
Best as you can tell it
No use telling lies
Your kids can always smell it"

Per Rothstein
The NCAA will furlough its entire staff for 3-8 weeks.

[quote="Paultzman" post=397485]Per Rothstein
The NCAA will furlough its entire staff for 3-8 weeks.[/quote]

On a staggered basis over 4 months, just in case someone wanted to make a joke that they were closing down, as they should. LOL

[quote="Logen" post=397484][quote="Monte" post=397475][quote="MarkRedman" post=397443][quote="MarkRedman" post=397438]I went to a restaurant to have dinner with friends tonight on Long Island. It was a beautiful night and we sat outside. I went inside to use "the facilities" before we left. Every seat at the bar was taken and people were literally sitting shoulder to shoulder with no masks, obviously. It looked no different than it would have pre pandemic.

As a former kid, that doesn't surprise me too. I think too many of the old farts on this board(that includes me) and in general, forget what it was like to be young and carefree. Not defending their actions, but I'm relatively sure that I would have had the same mentality and behaved similarly when I was that age.[/quote]

I could not agree more, and the fact is, if many of the old farts who want the world as we have known it to end, bothered to talk to the "young and carefree", many I have spoken to realize they have been lied to and manipulated about this virus from day one.

Not a popular statement I know, but to quote from Kids Prayer by Dan Bern:
"Tell your kids the truth
Best as you can tell it
No use telling lies
Your kids can always smell it"[/quote]

You've been agreeing with me way to much lately Logen. You feeling alright? ;) ;)

Back