Around College Basketball

Part of the Athletic article:

Judge Claudia Wilken, of the Northern District of California, declined to rule on preliminary approval after voicing concerns regarding the NCAA’s efforts to limit athlete compensation from outside entities and advised settlement attorneys to “go back to the drawing board.” The settlement, if ultimately approved, stands to reshape college sports, and was agreed upon this spring by the NCAA and the five power conferences.

Wilken, who still expressed optimism that a settlement could be reached, raised numerous issues with the terms as currently proposed. If Wilken were to eventually grant preliminary approval, the settlement would still face a final approval process before it can be formalized, which would likely stretch into early next year.

During more than two-and-a-half hours of discussion, Wilken’s biggest point of contention was in regard to the settlement’s proposed restrictions on third-party NIL payments, particularly from booster-led NIL collectives, and the justifications for those restrictions.

One of the key aspects of the settlement for the NCAA is enforcement of rules limiting NIL payments to “a valid business purpose” and eliminating the pay-for-play payments that have become commonplace among NIL collectives.

“For us it’s an essential part of the deal,” said Rakesh Kilaru, a lawyer representing the NCAA.

Kilaru later added: “Based on (the judge’s) comments today, we have to talk about whether we have a deal (with the plaintiffs).”

So again, for all those clamoring for the NCAA to put limits on NIL and complaining that they haven’t, the courts have struck and tied their hands saying they can’t (at least not the way they tried it this time). This is the point that keeps getting lost, the NCAA tries to enforce something and the courts strike it done (unless it involves St. John’s and Ivy League eligibility).

Would have thought unlv and New Mexico state would be part of that group.
I'm actually shocked that they just didn't invite all of them and kill the Mountain West, although Hawaii is a travel burden and San Jose State is meh. I did see have front row seats to watch them beat Stanford in football though about 20 years ago. The only thing I remember is the result and sweating my ass off.

I think I read somewhere UNLV and Air Force had the highest TV ratings of any MWC football programs last year. Seems obvious they'd add them.

I wish the PAC conference would just die. I really enjoyed it as the conference of champions. But who really wants this? I find it hard to believe TV execs will be fooled by their brand and give them any type of substantive TV deal over what MWC would get anyway

I think I read somewhere UNLV and Air Force had the highest TV ratings of any MWC football programs last year. Seems obvious they'd add them.

I wish the PAC conference would just die. I really enjoyed it as the conference of champions. But who really wants this? I find it hard to believe TV execs will be fooled by their brand and give them any type of substantive TV deal over what MWC would get anyway
Wish ACC and Pac 12 had been way more proactive and let the obvious traitors just leave. Could have been looking at Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Washington in one division and Duke, UNC, Virginia, Wake, Ga. Tech, and NC St. in the other. Fun games, and only behind the Ivy in academics.

Yeah seemingly both them and the mountain west wouldn’t be able to coexist.

If they finish it off and add Unlv, Air Force, Utah state, and New Mexico state. You essentially would drop your basement dwellers and add 2 brands as big as any in your league. From that “Moutain West” perspective, the league would be fairly improved. From the Pac12 perspective…I guess it’s better than independence.

If they finish it off and add Unlv, Air Force, Utah state, and New Mexico state. You essentially would drop your basement dwellers and add 2 brands as big as any in your league. From that “Moutain West” perspective, the league would be fairly improved. From the Pac12 perspective…I guess it’s better than independence.
It would do to the Mountain West what the Mountain West did to the WAC, although I think there was a lot of shuffling back and forth over the years between the two before the WAC reached its ultimate state of rubbish.

Not dead yet, but midder than mid.

“The Pac-12 Conference Board of Directors voted unanimously to admit…”

Of course the vote was unanimous as Oregon State and Washington State have sole control of the Pac-12 Board of Directors. If one school voted yes and the other no, you would have a tie which really means no.

This reminds me of what the Big East did back in 2011/12 when they announced Boise State, TCU, East Carolina, SMU, UCF and Houston and possibly others (some for football only) were joining the conference. It really seemed like some weird or questionable selections. There were a lot of moving parts as some like Boise State backed out and the remaining Big East non-football schools (the “Catholic 7”) announced they were leaving. What you wound up with is the Big East as it is today and the AAC.

I think that if the PAC-12 was going to fully replenish its ranks by raiding the MWC then that would have happened now - it is only going to get harder for them to take more MWC teams after this from a financial perspective.

It would be a seismic event, but what this could lead to is the implosion of the ACC. Let's say Stanford and Cal decide that they are better off back home in the PAC-12 and might make more money there or at least competitive money given that their ACC shares are at a reduced rate whereas full shares in a new PAC-12 with a new media deal might be more compatible.

So they join the schools that are already suing to get out of the ACC, and the upshot is that Stanford, Cal, Clemson, FSU, and a couple of other schools leave.

Not saying it's likely, but it isn't an impossible scenario.

I think that if the PAC-12 was going to fully replenish its ranks by raiding the MWC then that would have happened now - it is only going to get harder for them to take more MWC teams after this from a financial perspective.

It would be a seismic event, but what this could lead to is the implosion of the ACC. Let's say Stanford and Cal decide that they are better off back home in the PAC-12 and might make more money there or at least competitive money given that their ACC shares are at a reduced rate whereas full shares in a new PAC-12 with a new media deal might be more compatible.

So they join the schools that are already suing to get out of the ACC, and the upshot is that Stanford, Cal, Clemson, FSU, and a couple of other schools leave.

Not saying it's likely, but it isn't an impossible scenario.
Nothings impossible in the realignment world!

Idk how much I agree with this. Those 4 schools moved up a conference. The mountain west is not the same brand as the PAC 12, even with what it’s become, and they lose their scraps. I don’t think there’s any question that those schools making the jump will be in a better spot than before. It’s not apples to apples, but it’s part of the main reason the Catholic 7 fought so hard for the BE brand.

To the point that conference realignment sucks all together, yeah I agree.

I think the PAC-12 adding Gonzaga and St Mary’s for b-ball is a no brainer. Would be shocked if there weren’t already talks behind the scenes. Those 2 along with SDSU, Washington St, Oregon St, Colorado St, and possibly UNLV and Memphis, is a borderline power basketball conf. High quality multibid league every year.

Back