Around College Basketball

There was a rule (as recent as a year ago) that only allowed a school to base a sport program in a conference for that sport only as long as that sport is not sponsored by your conference. Now you can remain Independent in a sport (ND football although they have to play at least five or six ACC games and UConn football). I am wondering if this rule is no longer in affect.

As for why not the Big East, word has been out there that Gonzaga was approached and very preliminary discussion were held. Then Gonzaga went radio silent. I take that to mean they don’t see a fit and want no part of the travel and logistics involved.

Val is not a wartime Consigliere (although she was the one who pushed UConn) but if a majority of the BE Presidents wanted to expand, they could instruct her to do so. Quite frankly I think the majority of the schools are happy with the present setup and don’t see any value to be added by expansion at this time unless a UConn type program (Gonzaga) is actually interested in making such a move.

I would love to have Gonzaga and wouldn’t mind Dayton joining the Big East, but other schools that have been mentioned for possible expansion don’t really move the needle for me.
I think Big East would be wise to wait and see what happens with musical chairs of realignment over the next few years. Maybe some old friends are left without a seat.

I mean, their two wins are against a 1-3 Florida Atlantic and 1-3 Merrimack. They lost to two subpar major conference teams, and they're only three point favorites against Buffalo. Not sure they're moving the needle this year.
I know Buffalo has a new coach and are coming off of a bad year but I am actually surprised that UConn is favored. Buffalo plays in the MAC which is a decent mid-major Conference with the likes of Ball State, Miami of Ohio, Ohio and Toledo.

I know Buffalo has a new coach and are coming off of a bad year but I am actually surprised that UConn is favored. Buffalo plays in the MAC which is a decent mid-major Conference with the likes of Ball State, Miami of Ohio, Ohio and Toledo.
Buffalo just beat 23rd ranked N Illinois on the road this past Saturday.

Being a UNLV fan sounds exhausting
Last I read is that UNLV may be better off staying in MW because they wouldn't be liable for the $17 million exit fee and they would split the millions paid by the five MW schools that departed for Pac.
As of tonight, both conferences have only seven schools, so things are still fluid.
Ultimately, Rebels want a Big 12 invitation.

I forget, anyone know what Oregon state and Washington state are doing this year for basketball conference schedule?

I mean, their two wins are against a 1-3 Florida Atlantic and 1-3 Merrimack. They lost to two subpar major conference teams, and they're only three point favorites against Buffalo. Not sure they're moving the needle this year.
Their schedule is incredibly weak, but the optics of .500 might convince a conference to take a shot coming off a national championship in basketball. The bar for them is to just not be a complete embarrassment in football I’m afraid. Last year they couldn’t overcome that burden.

LOL @ UCONN football. They'd get molly whopped in a real football conference.

Assistant promised him $100,000. Collective made no such promise and gave him $3,000. What a cluster F.
If you have coaches making those representations while recruiting and they retrade you during the season, shady. Can’t blame the kid for saving his one year of earning power. Plus he gave up a holy cross degree. Terrible. I don’t know how any recruit could trust Barry Odom.

Seems like they have to make a last ditch effort to grab New Mexico, UNLV, Air Force, and Nevada to finish the MWC off for good.

But why not do that from the start? That’s what I don’t get.
Thats what I’ve bee saying. Now they both need to add schools.

If PAC can’t get any of them or Gonzaga, the potential for the league being able to compete with the power conferences is really just wishful thinking. It’s better than the MW was, but it’s not blowing it away by any means. Unlv, New Mexico, and Gonzaga are huge difference makers to the current brand and potential.

Back