Around College Basketball

If you have coaches making those representations while recruiting and they retrade you during the season, shady. Can’t blame the kid for saving his one year of earning power. Plus he gave up a holy cross degree. Terrible. I don’t know how any recruit could trust Barry Odom.
He might have gotten his prestigious Holy Cross degree, he played there four seasons, got them in the Championship series multiple times and to the FCS quarterfinals, 2022, holds many of HC's QB records. From Kellenberg on the Island.

He might have gotten his prestigious Holy Cross degree, he played there four seasons, got them in the Championship series multiple times and to the FCS quarterfinals, 2022, holds many of HC's QB records. From Kellenberg on the Island.
I hope he did. I just worry that more and more coaches and collectives will pull this sorta nonsense then leave the player with two choices a) leave the team (letting down your teammates) and redshirting (delaying your future finances a year) or b) getting stiffed by people you trusted and working for free.

The best thing future recruits can do is get a contract from a sueable entity and stay as far away from a Barry Odom lead team as possible.

Definitely a tough lessen to learn for the guy. But, I can’t argue with his decision to protect his eligibility. Stinks for the rest of the currently undefeated UNLV team that they sold their starting qb a bill of goods.
A reason the kids should have an agent to guide/protect them in the NIL process

Thats what I’ve bee saying. Now they both need to add schools.

If PAC can’t get any of them or Gonzaga, the potential for the league being able to compete with the power conferences is really just wishful thinking. It’s better than the MW was, but it’s not blowing it away by any means. Unlv, New Mexico, and Gonzaga are huge difference makers to the current brand and potential.
You are likely going to end up very right on this. I assumed the PAC leaders were competent, and that is looking like a mistake on my part.

Why take just 5 schools without ironclad assurances from Memphis, Tulane, et al? That makes no sense. Just take 9 and have the MWC dissolved. They clearly want UNLV and Air Force...and New Mexico is solid for basketball. Nevada isn't THAT bad. Crazy.

A reason the kids should have an agent to guide/protect them in the NIL process
100%. In his case, he had an agent who wasn’t registered in Nevada (bad decision for someone considering UNLV). Apparently the collective advised him to deal with the coach directly (another bad decision by him) and he took the coach at his word (third bad decision). This is according to his press release.

All that aside, I can’t fault him one bit for leaving and sharing his story. Hopefully it will encourage more recruits to be more careful with the NIL process.

You are likely going to end up very right on this. I assumed the PAC leaders were competent, and that is looking like a mistake on my part.

Why take just 5 schools without ironclad assurances from Memphis, Tulane, et al? That makes no sense. Just take 9 and have the MWC dissolved. They clearly want UNLV and Air Force...and New Mexico is solid for basketball. Nevada isn't THAT bad. Crazy.
You're also missing the most glaring misjudgment. The reason MWC was able to keep Air Force and UNLV was by distributing the exit fees the PAC will be paying MWC!

I hope he did. I just worry that more and more coaches and collectives will pull this sorta nonsense then leave the player with two choices a) leave the team (letting down your teammates) and redshirting (delaying your future finances a year) or b) getting stiffed by people you trusted and working for free.

The best thing future recruits can do is get a contract from a sueable entity and stay as far away from a Barry Odom lead team as possible.

He did get his degree, and he has no future football prospects. Essentially he was taking a job for $100K out of college. If he's not going to get paid he shouldn't work. Lots of mistakes made along the way but agree with the kids decision to redshirt. He put in the minimum games to see if he could get another 1 year contract next year as well. and looked pretty good doing it.

Isn't this guy Sluka (who was apparently not Chaminade material) a football player?
Isn't this the Around College Basketball thread?
Don't we have an NIL thread someplace?
So many questions, so few answers...

He did get his degree, and he has no future football prospects. Essentially he was taking a job for $100K out of college. If he's not going to get paid he shouldn't work. Lots of mistakes made along the way but agree with the kids decision to redshirt. He put in the minimum games to see if he could get another 1 year contract next year as well. and looked pretty good doing it.
Glad to hear he got his degree. Fingers crossed he’ll get some money for football next year and maybe get a masters out of it. Smart of him to only play 3 games as 4 or less preserves your redshirt eligibility.

And a year at a Prep School in Jersey.

I don’t know if he got his degree from Holy Cross or not as he entered the portal right after the end of his senior football season in the Fall and was on the UNLV campus that Spring.

Seems 2 sides

Maybe I misunderstood this article, but all it seems to say is UNLV held it's end of the bargain. It's my understanding that the school can only offer a scholarship, which UNLV no doubt honored. Any NIL has to be independently negotiated through an unaffiliated collective. It didn't dispute the fact/remained silent on the most damning accusation that an OC promised him 100k.

I think it's an interesting story, but I understand Lawmanfan's point about it being far off target (even by this boards standards :D). I'll take my NIL opinions to a more appropriate place. Sorry for derailing the thread.

Isn't this guy Sluka (who was apparently not Chaminade material) a football player?
Isn't this the Around College Basketball thread?
Don't we have an NIL thread someplace?
So many questions, so few answers...
My son easily could have went to Chaminade and chose Kellenberg. As was the case with most of his classmates.

Maybe Chaminade wanted him and the kid wasn’t a snob?

You're also missing the most glaring misjudgment. The reason MWC was able to keep Air Force and UNLV was by distributing the exit fees the PAC will be paying MWC!
And the reason the PAC-12 was able to get those 5 other schools was from their control of the TV revenue left by the 10 departed former PAC-12 teams. What a mess!

Seriously we are one TV cycle away from big broadcasting just drafting the teams they want in the league.

And the reason the PAC-12 was able to get those 5 other schools was from their control of the TV revenue left by the 10 departed former PAC-12 teams. What a mess!

Seriously we are one TV cycle away from big broadcasting just drafting the teams they want in the league.
I wonder if conferences have outlived their use? The realignment is just getting silly.

Back