Around College Basketball

Choose your friends wisely.

In this era of participation prizes (and golf Exhibitions posing as tournaments) I would expect no less.

Some chatter Steve Masiello is out at Manhattan over contract issue. No formal announcement yet. Pitino will find him a gig I bet. Strange timing!

Out there now

60-39 in his first three years there, after which he got the South Florida job, only to be terminated days later for lying on his resume.

Manhattan took him back, and he went just 102-138 over the next 8 seasons, with his first year back being his only winning one (they were .500 last year).

If he had to do it all over again, I'm sure he would have been more truthful. Still, I do take some satisfaction in a liar and/or cheater not getting rewarded for it (as long as it's not St. John's getting punished). These days, especially in college hoops, it doesn't happen too often.

Bizarre timing but everything is bizarre with this guy.

Yeah I think it is contractual. I think Steve wanted a long term extension but Manhattan said no. With good reason. His bulb has burned out and the program has been treading water for awhile.

I wouldn't mind finding him room on the staff here at SJU. Guy has good contacts,.

Back