Around College Basketball

I think it should be a truly "open" tournament with all division one teams participating similar to the FA cup for English soccer. Everyone loved St. Peter's Cinderella run this year--think about the potential Cinderella stories in an open NCAA tournament.
Every team sans those in the Ivy League has a chance to win out for a national championship.

The number of Division 1 teams continues to expand, so expanding the tournament makes sense, IMO. To me, the percentage of D1 teams that make the tournament should be relatively consistent, especially WRT at-large bids.
Teams transitioning to D1 enter on the low end of the spectrum not exactly anywhere near the top so increasing the amount of teams is for the reason it always is greed for more money.

They are not looking to add teams from the AQ conferences that get one team in a year. They are looking to have 12 Big Ten teams instead of 8.
Schools and conferences should have thought about that before trying to form 20- to 24-team conferences. Screw those F'ers. Let 66 percent of these super conferences have fun in the NIT.

Schools and conferences should have thought about that before trying to form 20- to 24-team conferences. Screw those F'ers. Let 66 percent of these super conferences have fun in the NIT.
Well I do think it’s evident that the SEC and B10 are creating these super conferences with the idea of leaving the NCAA and forming their own system. Whether they will create their own separate “leagues” or combine or whatever remains to be seen but I think that’s where all this eventually headed.

I think he’s referring to the fact that the IVY is the only conference that doesn’t have every team in their conference tournament so theoretically every team in all of the other conferences have the chance to win out to win the national championship starting with their conference tournament
Ah, thanks. Didn't realize that was the Ivy setup. Strange considering they have the perfect number for a neat and tidy tournament.

Ah, thanks. Didn't realize that was the Ivy setup. Strange considering they have the perfect number for a neat and tidy tournament.
Yes 8 teams is the perfect tournament set up but the Ivies always have to act like they are above it all and prioritize academics over sports.

Which just goes to show you, when you win, all sins are forgiven. Just ask Bill Self, Roy Williams, Ricky P,. etc. etc. etc.
I like Penny Hardaway. Nolan Richardson and Mike Anderson almost got him to sign with the Razorbacks over Memphis out of high school but the hometown won out after an intense recruiting battle.

As a coach he has greatly underwhelmed at Memphis and isn’t even in the same ballpark as Self, Williams or Pitino but he is a hometown hero who donated millions of his NBA dollars to the University of Memphis and the community before he became the coach of the Tigers.

Better pay close attention to that MAAC article. After we lose our first game that conference is where we will be lucky to get into...

Last edited:
Ivy League was kicking and screaming down to the end before agreeing to have a tourny and this was their compromise.

While not as late to the party as the Ivy Legue, the Big Ten didn‘t start to have a regular tournament until sometime in the late 90’s.

Back