2023-24 Roster

It's pretty simple with regard to transfers. If they have never transferred they can transfer without sitting out. If they've transferred before they will need a waiver. Even grad transfers will need a waiver if they had a previous transfer.

If they played in 20/21 or before they have 6 to play 5 because 19/20 spring through 20/21 winter sports will not be counted. Does not impact players who enrolled Sep 21 or after. Only thing I'm not clear on is if the 5 year rule is impacted in any way if the student-athlete transfers post COVID.

Here’s an example: A D1 freshman athlete competed in a portion of the 2020-2021 season. They are eligible for an extra year of competition, per the NCAA’s eligibility relief. Starting sophomore year, they compete in 100% of each season throughout their senior year. Their eligibility count is only at 3 years. This athlete has the option to return for one final season – a fifth year. If this athlete returns for a fifth year, they will have been a member of the team for 5 years and eligible to receive financial aid to continue their education for a six year, because their first year of competition didn’t count against their eligibility.

Just read another thing about the fifth year. You can use the 5th year at a new school post-transfer. If you use the fifth year at the school where you were in 20/21 then you do not count against the 13 scholarships in your last year. If you have transferred then you do count against that schools scholarship limit. This means that if a school had say 5 seniors who played for them in 20/21 and all decided to stay at that school for their fifth year that school would be able to offer 18 scholarships. Pretty unlikely but interesting. Talk about a deep bench.

head hype GIF

I’m not crazy how this process is playing out.

I appreciate the bluntness and transparency but just feels like the show Survivor at the moment.

I appreciate the bluntness and transparency but just feels like the show Survivor at the moment.
kind of like picking a team on the playgrounds... Don't see anything wrong with it, top guys always picked first

Honestly it’s kinda badass

Usually coaches have to beg kids to play for them and kiss their ass

Pitino takes this job and everyone automatically respects that he’s gonna decide who he wants here and who he doesn’t.

Only one kid in the portal! They really all want to see if Rick wants them first. Wild stuff

I don’t see it that way at all and we have no clue what he has done other than to run to Stepinac to offer 2 fantastic guards the likes of which we have not seen since Omar Cooke and Bootsy,Made offers to roughly 10 top 60 kids, is still assembling his staff and has started to speak to the kids. However, it is possible he has spoken to all of the kids already, we will never know but this staff is moving at lightning speed so far.

Size and shooting for Pitino. Posh has neither and is a limited player. Pitino will easily find an upgrade over Posh.
Actually Pitino has had a ton of 5’11 to 6’1 guards. It’s almost like he prefers them.

Peyton Siva was 6’0 in shoes and only shot 29.1% from three over his career. Posh shot 29.9% as a freshman (25% for his career), 45.2% from the field and 73.1% from the line. Siva was 41.7% from the field and 73.7% from the line and he won a championship (starting next to 6’0 Russ Smith).

From a purely basketball perspective, Posh fits in wonderfully with what Pitino looks for.

Rick has hit the ground running. Energy and work ethic are not going to be an issue with him. We are going to have a fun time over the next several years. This fan base sure has waited long enough enough for this.

That’s how it is with a Hall of Fame coach like Pitino. You don’t decide whether you want to stay. You have to be either asked by him to stay or convince him as to why he should allow you to stay. The total opposite of all our recent coaches. I thank all the current players for choosing St. John’s and giving it their all. I wish them all success with their basketball endeavors in the future. This is a new era here at St. John’s and you either have what it takes to step up to the challenge or you don’t. We’re striving for a different level now. Not every kid currently here is going to fit the style of play or have what it takes to thrive at the level that will be expected of them now. I do feel bad for the kids who might really want to stay but just won’t be asked back and like I said wish them nothing but success going forward but this is the reality of the situation now.

Interesting that he offered Storr before asking Posh. Unfortunately I’m getting a gut feeling that Posh won’t be here next year.

Back