2023-24 Rankings

I'd say the bubble has been tougher this year than most, especially this week. Part of what makes it even tougher for St. John's is the bubble teams we've been rooting for, mainly Villanova and Utah, have lost. Stuff like BC losing in OT to UVA last night, after leading almost the entire game, has made things more difficult. A week ago we had 5 Quad 1 wins, now we're down to 3.

St. John's fortunately has done more than any of us could've asked for over the past few weeks to get to a solid position, had we "simply" gone 6-0 rather than 6-0 with some big blowouts we'd be much further down the bubble.

Well, obviously it's unfortunate that we lost but that was about as good of a loss as possible. Really glad we didn't get blown out and destroy our metrics, which was certainly possible with how well UConn played.

KenPom just updated, we improved one spot from #26 to #25. I'd be shocked if we don't at least make the Tournament, though we'll need to see more bubble results to know whether we're heading to Dayton.

Hey ADORAZ

Thank you for you knowledgeable updates.

Are you confident that the Johnnies are in and avoid the Dayton play in games ?

Hey ADORAZ

Thank you for you knowledgeable updates.

Are you confident that the Johnnies are in and avoid the Dayton play in games ?

I'd say 99% odds we'll make the Tournament, a Bye maybe 60%. Bubble results are starting to go our way at least at the end of the bubble, so that's why I think we're nearly a lock, but a lot of the teams in Last 4 Byes / Last 4 In are winning or still in it. We'll know a lot more about the Bye picture later tonight, it'd be great if at least two of Colorado, Virginia, and New Mexico lose.

I had several fans come up to me tonight who were surprised we could stay with UConn when they scored like they did. Seton Hall, Marquette, Nova fans thought wed get blown out. and said. Obody else could do what we did. I thought we played a horrible defensives game and knew we were in trouble when DJ had the quick 14. Our offense stalls too much and it’s bc our pg doesn’t move the ball. I appreciate DJ, but he also holds us back from being an exceptional team

and knew we were in trouble when DJ had the quick 14. Our offense stalls too much and it’s bc our pg doesn’t move the ball. I appreciate DJ, but he also holds us back from being an exceptional team
Agree, the 90 points we scored, the most Ucant gave up to any team all season, via 16 assists to only 5 turnovers is definitely proof positive of a stalled offense.

Our NET did drop a couple spots followings the close UConn loss, from #32 to #34, but that's more about teams such as Mississippi St passing us.

Utah moved up 2 spots to #49 thanks to several teams such as Virginia losing (huge result for us in multiple ways), so that's now Q1 again. There's a very good chance that'll remain Q1 tomorrow.

20-13
Quad 1: 4-10
Quad 2: 6-2
Quad 3: 3-1
Quad 4: 7-0

The Utah win getting back to Q1 is extremely important because the Committee values good OOC wins. That, combined with the eye test from a close UConn loss (and our 6-1 finish), will help our odds at earning a Bye.

How much would the 10 Q1 losses negatively impact? Looks like Alanama (#9), is only other Net team above us with that many.

Definitely a concern but also the worst thing on our resume IMO (ahead of the Q3 loss). I think we'll finish right on the edge of Bye and Dayton, but If the eye test is really a thing they'll see we've earned two of those Q1 wins recently, along with Q2 wins, and most of the Q1 losses we at least kept close. Personally think that'll be enough so we can avoid Dayton (most likely- not definitely) but we'll still need to see results today and tomorrow.

One more thing I like about our resume, which won't be factored into these bracketologist resumes, is that Pitino (and Dingle) had COVID the first time we played Hall. According to Fanta the Committee will consider that, and obviously the fact we blew them out last game helps.

The only concerning thing is that the teams right ahead of us have played well in their tournaments, including several big upsets, so going to Dayton wouldn't surprise me either. At least at this point I'm almost positive we'll earn a bid at a minimum, so I'm happy with our performance overall at the BET. Can't fault us for losing to UConn, who clearly is a step ahead of these other top teams from the Big Ten, SEC, etc.

Agree, the 90 points we scored, the most Ucant gave up to any team all season, via 16 assists to only 5 turnovers is definitely proof positive of a stalled offense.
lol. You’re just bitter bc Pitt lost😂. Truth is, I am too. My daughter goes there. I like that team, but probably didn’t do enough this week to get in.

Rock on Carmine!!!

lol. You’re just bitter bc Pitt lost😂. Truth is, I am too. My daughter goes there. I like that team, but probably didn’t do enough this week to get in.

Rock on Carmine!!!
If they don't it's highway robbery. They can't only take Puke and NC and Pitt looks like the clear 3rd as they beat Virginia by 11 on the road and have a much better Net, whatever that is, and had a much better conference tourney. And Clemsen lost opening round to the 11 seed by 21 and Pitt beat the 5 seed by 12 and just lost to Ncaa tournament 1 seed by 7 on a neutral court. Which is better than our 5 point loss to a 1 seed on our home court.

Why? Pitt was 12 and 8 and they were 11 and 9. Yes, they swept Pitt but didn't they play themselves out by getting blown out by lowly Bc?
Dude, what are you talking about. You're coming off as a bigger Pitt homer than St. John's fan. Just stop.

Clemson isn't remotely on the bubble. They are the third team for the ACC. Bracketmatrix has them in literally every single bracket as a 6th seed. They swept Pitt and conference tournament games don't matter that much. Clemson actually scheduled a big boy OOC schedule. They have non-conference wins against Boise State, Alabama, TCU, South Carolina -- all teams also in the tournament.

Point is, ACC is getting three teams no doubt. UNC, Duke, Clemson. They don't deserve another team, but UVA getting a benefit of the doubt play-in spot because of Bennett wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Pitt is on the bubble, when you schedule a OOC like Mike Anderson, you give yourself zero room for error.

Back