2023-24 Rankings

Marquette was picked 9th and won the league and tourney. Florida Atlantic, Sandiego state, miami.....north carolina. Need I say more? Go ahead and put us 4-7.

Its ok to call it before its happening. We will win the big east and be a top 1-2 seed in the tourney.

Marquette was picked 9th and won the league and tourney. Florida Atlantic, Sandiego state, miami.....north carolina. Need I say more? Go ahead and put us 4-7.

Its ok to call it before its happening. We will win the big east and be a top 1-2 seed in the tourney.
Of every prediction I have seen here and elsewhere I am rooting for you to be the most prescient.

Ballots have been submitted and the AP Top 25 will release on Tuesday October 17. St. John's was not included on a newly published AP ballot, but overall still doing pretty well. I have bolded any October entries by AP voters as these are the ballots they've submitted. More commentary at the bottom.

Nevada Sports Net / Murray: NR (10/13/23)
News & Observer / DeCock: #24 (10/13/23)

Fox Sports / Fanta: #20 (10/11/23) - NOT AP
ESPN / Lunardi: #44 (10/10/23) - NOT AP
ESPN / Borzello: #25 (10/9/23)
Asbury Park Press / Carino: #25 (10/9/23)

CBS / Parrish: #25 (10/5/23) - NOT AP
247Sports / Flaherty: #25 (10/2/23) - NOT AP
Busting Brackets / Freeman: NR (9/25/23)
The Athletic / Davis: NR (8/28/23)
ESPN / Vitale: #25 (8/11/23)
FanDuel / Rothstein: #23 (8/1/23)
SB Nation / Rutherford: #29* (6/14/23) - *Pre-Ledlum
Stadium / Goodman: #24* (6/10/23) - *Pre-Ledlum / Wilcher
NCAA / Katz: NR* (6/1/23) - *Pre-Ledlum / Wilcher - listed as "NCAA tournament-bound contender"
SI / Sweeney: #24* (6/1/23) - *Pre-Ledlum / Wilcher

Sources:

We are on 3/4 AP ballots and have 4 points. 4 days to go, should have at least a few more ballots come in before the official release.

Update: the October 17 date reported earlier was incorrect. The AP Top 25 will actually drop on Monday October 16 - most likely around noon. That makes more sense since these polls always drop on a Monday. We can expect a few more ballots to be made public on Sunday night and Monday morning before then. All ballots will be viewable online after the AP poll releases.

Also, it's rather pathetic that only about 5% of all AP voters have released their ballots- and based on prior years probably only another 5% will do so. Not only is it free clicks for a task they've already completed (literally could put an article together in 5 minutes), but it's reflected most of the time in their knowledge of these teams during the regular season.

For example, the ~10% of pollsters who regularly release their ballots each week (before the AP drops) always are a week or two ahead of the other 90% when new teams break into the rankings. If undefeated team X beats ranked team Y, the 10% will vote that team into the rankings while the other 90% typically won't, and the team often ends up just outside the rankings. We need more of the AP to be passionate like a Fanta or Rothstein, or bare minimum a DeCock.

Speaking of Rothstein (Twitter video in link under Sources)...

The AP Top 25 will release on Monday October 16 around noon. I have bolded any October entries by AP voters as these are the ballots they've submitted. More commentary at the bottom.

CBS Sports / Rothstein: #23 (10/14/23)
Nevada Sports Net / Murray: NR (10/13/23)
News & Observer / DeCock: #24 (10/13/23)

Fox Sports / Fanta: #20 (10/11/23) - NOT AP
ESPN / Lunardi: #44 (10/10/23) - NOT AP
ESPN / Borzello: #25 (10/9/23)
Asbury Park Press / Carino: #25 (10/9/23)

CBS / Parrish: #25 (10/5/23) - NOT AP
247Sports / Flaherty: #25 (10/2/23) - NOT AP
Busting Brackets / Freeman: NR (9/25/23)
The Athletic / Davis: NR (8/28/23)
ESPN / Vitale: #25 (8/11/23)
SB Nation / Rutherford: #29* (6/14/23) - *Pre-Ledlum
Stadium / Goodman: #24* (6/10/23) - *Pre-Ledlum / Wilcher
NCAA / Katz: NR* (6/1/23) - *Pre-Ledlum / Wilcher - listed as "NCAA tournament-bound contender"
SI / Sweeney: #24* (6/1/23) - *Pre-Ledlum / Wilcher

Sources:

Rothstein gives us 3 points- our highest thus far. We are on 4/5 AP ballots and have 7 points. 2 days to go!

St. John's is not on Borges' AP ballot. Not too surprising since he's a UConn guy, but it's going to be tough to crack the rankings unless a few AP ballots are very high on us. Right now I'm thinking #26 (which is where UConn started last year, so not a bad place to start).

St. John's is not on Borges' AP ballot. Not too surprising since he's a UConn guy, but it's going to be tough to crack the rankings unless a few AP ballots are very high on us. Right now I'm thinking #26 (which is where UConn started last year, so not a bad place to start).
Rankings at this point are meaningless. Fun but meaningless. Outside of practices no one knows anything.

Rankings at this point are meaningless. Fun but meaningless. Outside of practices no one knows anything.

Sure, but they're very good for exposure (as Mase said). Everyone here can agree press from the last several months has been huge in terms of getting this program on track (NIL, recruiting, scheduling, etc.).

If we're ranked preseason that absolutely will help with drawing attention to our Michigan game, both prior (ticket sales) and during the game (Top 25 teams are the default games you'll see when checking game scores). Could also help with recruiting as the big majority of recruits sign before the season starts.

Even being just outside the rankings would be huge as winning vs Michigan would move us into the rankings the following week.

It's a popularity contest but we have a popular coach. Will be interesting to see where we're ranked.

As others have said, it's just one big guessing game at this point. Especially with a team like ours that has almost an entire new roster, with many kids who have never played at this level before. Not to mention a new coach. Some probably undervalue us based on the last 20 years and the uncertainty of the roster. Others may overvalue us based on our headcoach. Personal biases could play a factor as well. Ultimately preseason rankings have no bearing at all on how we do when they roll out the balls, but it is fun to keep an eye on none the less.

Just a quick response to comment about the prospect of being ranked having an impact on tickets for the Michigan game. As a long-time diehard fan and someone who paid around $500 for 2 pretty good (but not great) seats on Vivid Seats in section 115, it’s hard to imagine the rankings further increasing the tkt prices. 😂!! I said to a couple of other diehards that I feel like the diehard Cleveland Indian fans in the movie Major League, going from attending games with a few hundred fans (“too high”) to a standing room only crowd. No complaints, I’m good with it!!!

Just a quick response to comment about the prospect of being ranked having an impact on tickets for the Michigan game. As a long-time diehard fan and someone who paid around $500 for 2 pretty good (but not great) seats on Vivid Seats in section 115, it’s hard to imagine the rankings further increasing the tkt prices. 😂!! I said to a couple of other diehards that I feel like the diehard Cleveland Indian fans in the movie Major League, going from attending games with a few hundred fans (“too high”) to a standing room only crowd. No complaints, I’m good with it!!!
I’ve been surprised by ticket sales already. Unless they are holding back tickets the games on campus will be sold out by the end of the week. MSG sales look brisk as well. The three UBS games are still not available on Ticketmaster, which seems like a weekly opportunity lost. I wonder what is holding that up.

Those prices are crazy. Is it already a confirmed sellout, or is MSG withholding tickets/sections for later? I could be wrong, but I think MSG makes ticket prices for the Rangers and Knicks super expensive even when they don't sell out. They'd rather people pay a minimum of $200 for the worst seats and have some remain empty rather than sell for $100 and get more people/concessions.

Even if it is a sellout though, in terms of tickets it'd still help with stuff like Rutgers (tickets still on sale) and getting the casual fan on board. Also everything else from NIL to recruiting to TV ratings (during ongoing Big East TV negotiations- they're counting on us to become relevant again).

I’m a way I don’t want us to be ranked to open the season . I want this team as hungry as possible.

Back