2022 Mets

Dodgers pitching is showing why they are best in NL right now and they are without Kershaw (we are missing Jake and Max). I don't have much faith in Peterson and Williams today and tomorrow.

Really sweet of LA to recognize Brooklyn and Mets great Gil Hodges last night for his four seasons with the club.

And a nice gutty win too. Let's go out and split the series today.

Really sweet of LA to recognize Brooklyn and Mets great Gil Hodges last night for his four seasons with the club.

And a nice gutty win too. Let's go out and split the series today.
I grew up in a Dodger family and Gil was a hero to everyone. He was with the Dodgers for his entire career (except for his last 2 active playing years with the Mets). The Dodger career strted in 1943 for one game before going active duty with the Marines and then from 1947 to 1961. Always a gentleman.
Gil might have been born in Indiana but he loved his adopted home in Brooklyn. Gil married a Brooklyn girl and they lived in Brooklyn before the move to LA and then when they returned to the Mets. They lived on Bedford Avenue (named Gil Hodges Way) and he was waked in Brooklyn and buried in Brooklyn (making my family happy to have him as a "neighbor" in the same cemetary). We have a bridge, a park, a little league field and an elementary school named in Gil's honor (not to be forgotten was Gil Hodges Lanes bowling alley). He is also honored on Celebrity Walk at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens which honors famous Brooklynites.
During his 1962 season with the Mets, Gil would sometimes stop by Lundy's for a drink on the way home to Beford Avenue. My father was there visiting a friend who was the bartender when Gil came in. It was a day that he hit and Inside the Park Homer. Gil said he thought was going to die as he rounded third base.

Dodgers pitching is showing why they are best in NL right now and they are without Kershaw (we are missing Jake and Max). I don't have much faith in Peterson and Williams today and tomorrow.
Mea Culpa--wow the bats woke up after 2 days jet lag and the bullpen came through big time. 4 homers were impressive. Pete playing like all star. Nimmo continues surprise-love his attacking the shift and hitting down down third into leftfield; teams gonna have to play him straight up. Can't wait until next year my MLB to change the rule on the use of a shift.

Nice job by the Mets. After dropping the first two, we were looking at losing 3/4 or worse. The Dodgers had us right where they wanted with Walker Buehler and Julio Urias facing Peterson and Trevor Williams. But the baseball Gods were smiling on us. Further proof you just never know. Adonis Medina? Really? Great job by whoever he is.

There is something special about this team. All without deGrom and Scherzer. This is going to get interesting.

Good start in SD last night. Carrasco gave 7 innings that helped a well used pen get some rest. Loved the answering back as every time SD scored, Mets scored in their next at bat. Funniest (scariest) moment of the game was when Pete "slid" into home. He looked like little leaguer trying to slide. (itis on Youtube)

Good start in SD last night. Carrasco gave 7 innings that helped a well used pen get some rest. Loved the answering back as every time SD scored, Mets scored in their next at bat. Funniest (scariest) moment of the game was when Pete "slid" into home. He looked like little leaguer trying to slide. (itis on Youtube)
I was worried about his wrist/arm. Last thing Mets need is a polar bear with one arm. That won’t work. Thankfully catastrophe avoided.

In the name of Stengal, Hodges, Seaver and Carter, please oh lords let the Polar Bear's paw be okay and Starling Marte too.
Amen.
It’s almost unbelievable at this point. Mets batters have been HBP over 40 times already. (!?) Three times in the face/head. Now this. Darvish hit 3 guys by the 2nd inning.

Marte is probably going IL. Whether it’s more than just 10 days is TBD. 10 days just out of precaution.

Alonso didn’t look good. Guy is tough and he left the game. X-rays are negative but he’s getting more tests and I think it might be worse. I’ll pray with you but damn if this isn’t frustrating.

It’s almost unbelievable at this point. Mets batters have been HBP over 40 times already. (!?) Three times in the face/head. Now this. Darvish hit 3 guys by the 2nd inning.

Marte is probably going IL. Whether it’s more than just 10 days is TBD. 10 days just out of precaution.

Alonso didn’t look good. Guy is tough and he left the game. X-rays are negative but he’s getting more tests and I think it might be worse. I’ll pray with you but damn if this isn’t frustrating.
Some of us are old enough to remember post 1949 Jackie Robinson bunting down the first base line and reverting to UCLA running back mode to deal with pitchers who threw at the Dodgers.

Some of us are old enough to remember post 1949 Jackie Robinson bunting down the first base line and reverting to UCLA running back mode to deal with pitchers who threw at the Dodgers.
I wonder if pitchers are more likely to throw at hitters because of DH as they don't have to face the same music at bat. Mets HBP is 40+ and league average is 23.

There needs to be a rule I dont care if it's by accident but you hit a second player you are thrown out of the game regardless
I disagree.

I think the problem is that the umps have to determine intent and that's highly subjective. If you want to fix this issue do this:
1) get rid of ump warnings altogether.
2) Umps can only eject a pitcher if he hits someone in the head. If you hit a guy in the head you are ejected and suspended until he is able to play again.
3) Ban fighting. 81 game suspension for charging the mound. 162 game suspension for all players leaving their position, the dugout, bullpen, etc. to join any altercation.

From now on, you get hit, suck it up and go to first. Let your pitchers even the score. The only thing that is going to keep a pitcher from throwing at hitters is if the stars on his team tell him to knock it off because they are sick of getting hit in retaliation.
Worked for 150 years. There really wasn't any need to fix it.

There needs to be a rule I dont care if it's by accident but you hit a second player you are thrown out of the game regardless
I agree. Here’s the thing, I don’t think Darvish was throwing at anyone last night. However, ML pitchers should be able to pitch inside without hitting people repeatedly. We’ve already seen where Arenado erupted AFTER he was pitched inside. Not hit but literally pitched inside.

I agree. Here’s the thing, I don’t think Darvish was throwing at anyone last night. However, ML pitchers should be able to pitch inside without hitting people repeatedly. We’ve already seen where Arenado erupted AFTER he was pitched inside. Not hit but literally pitched inside.
Yeah I don’t think he did it intentionally I just think 2 is enough
I disagree.

I think the problem is that the umps have to determine intent and that's highly subjective. If you want to fix this issue do this:
2) Umps can only eject a pitcher if he hits someone in the head. If you hit a guy in the head you are ejected and suspended until he is able to play again.
3) Ban fighting. 81 game suspension for charging the mound. 162 game suspension for all players leaving their position, the dugout, bullpen, etc. to join any altercation.

From now on, you get hit, suck it up and go to first. Let your pitchers even the score. The only thing that is going to keep a pitcher from throwing at hitters is if the stars on his team tell him to knock it off because they are sick of getting hit in retaliation.
Almost totally disagree :) I'm with you on the getting hit in the head automatic suspension and agree umps warnings are stupid. If you want to ban fighting that's fine but you are giving too much power to the pitchers. Life is simple. Hit a 2nd guy whether intentional or not and you are out of the game because players will think twice about hitting a player. Also I'd be all for hit 2 batters and not only are you out for that game but you are suspended 1

I disagree.

I would extend #2 to any injury caused by pitcher that causes a batter to go on the disabled list. Pitcher suspended until injured player returns.

Back