2022-23 Season

Curbelo did not come here to be a bench player.
Of course w Posh , if Curbelo is off, CMA has the luxury of taking him out and sitting him.
But I agree he will be a starter.

Red will be the starters when the season starts but the lineups will change multiple times before getting settled as it gets closer to conference play. Wusu will start from game one but may get edged out by Storr or Pinzon as the season goes on.

Red / White

Posh - Curbelo
Wusu - Storr
Mathis. - Pinzon
Jones. - Thomas
Soriano - Nyiwe

Traore
King
Keita
The only way Curbelo is not starting at the beginning of the season is if he is injured, sick or for disciplinary reasons.

The only way Curbelo is not starting at the beginning of the season is if he is injured, sick or for disciplinary reasons.
He will likely get "starters" minutes but he will come off the bench at first as CMA tries out different lineups to see who plays well together and having Curbelo to anchor that second unit would kick the tempo up a notch from the second unit guys.

I think Curbelo will start. Just not out of the gate.

He will likely get "starters" minutes but he will come off the bench at first as CMA tries out different lineups to see who plays well together and having Curbelo to anchor that second unit would kick the tempo up a notch from the second unit guys.

It’s not like one of posh or curbelo wouldn’t still be on the court when the subs start to enter the game. Start them both and then stagger them as the game dictates.

It’s not like one of posh or curbelo wouldn’t still be on the court when the subs start to enter the game. Start them both and then stagger them as the game dictates.
Nothing wrong with that idea. I just like the idea of Curbelo being first off the bench and playing 28+ minutes a game. At least at first so that there is always a fresh Posh or Curbelo in the game at all times.

He will start, out the gate. Coaches are going to push him. They want him to run the show. And since we’ll be practicing during the summer and taking the DR exhibition trip, he will most definitely be starting when the season tips off.

Not a doubt in my mind. Starter, not just “starter minutes”.

You need him to start out of the gate. He needs to get real game time in the system. He's definitely at 30+minute player along with DJ.

He will start, out the gate. Coaches are going to push him. They want him to run the show. And since we’ll be practicing during the summer and taking the DR exhibition trip, he will most definitely be starting when the season tips off.

Not a doubt in my mind. Starter, not just “starter minutes”.
If you are right, this would mean that he has bounced back to his freshman season form which would be great news for the teams prospects. I was hoping for the same outcome but was thinking it may take getting a few games under his belt to get his sea legs back but you seem pretty sure that I am wrong and I would be glad to be wrong about that.

MakingPlays Wrote: What's wrong with Wusu inbounding the ball? He has a 4-2 Assist to Turnover rate. Only person on the team with better is Posh, and Posh it the guy you want the ball getting inbounded to. Coaches typically have one of the top passers inbounding the ball on dead ball situations, and by the stats Wusu is the second best passer on the team. Now maybe that changes this year with Curberllo, but regardless he is not a bad choice to have the ball in his hands. Man, the Wusu hate on this board is insane. I've never seen anything like it, you'd think from reading here he averaged 2 points, shoot 5% from 3, and has 5 turnovers a game.

I am a really big Wusu fan and think he is a really talented and unique player with a very diverse set of skills. That said, there was definitely a problem with SJU on its In-bounds plays last season. Perhaps it was the fault of the play design or overall team execution and not Wusu's fault, but the problem existed and needs to be addressed in some manner going forward. Wusu makes some wonderful plays but at times, IMO, he is overly ambitious and makes some head-scratching decisions. I love his overall game though and am looking forward to him continuing to be a force in our rotation. I think the staff can help here, by putting some extra focus during practices on in-bounds play execution. Typically this Staff has been very good at identifying areas of weakness and correcting them so that the problems don't linger from one season to the next.

MakingPlays Wrote: What's wrong with Wusu inbounding the ball? He has a 4-2 Assist to Turnover rate. Only person on the team with better is Posh, and Posh it the guy you want the ball getting inbounded to. Coaches typically have one of the top passers inbounding the ball on dead ball situations, and by the stats Wusu is the second best passer on the team. Now maybe that changes this year with Curberllo, but regardless he is not a bad choice to have the ball in his hands. Man, the Wusu hate on this board is insane. I've never seen anything like it, you'd think from reading here he averaged 2 points, shoot 5% from 3, and has 5 turnovers a game.

I am a really big Wusu fan and think he is a really talented and unique player with a very diverse set of skills. That said, there was definitely a problem with SJU on its In-bounds plays last season. Perhaps it was the fault of the play design or overall team execution and not Wusu's fault, but the problem existed and needs to be addressed in some manner going forward. Wusu makes some wonderful plays but at times, IMO, he is overly ambitious and makes some head-scratching decisions. I love his overall game though and am looking forward to him continuing to be a force in our rotation. I think the staff can help here, by putting some extra focus during practices on in-bounds play execution. Typically this Staff has been very good at identifying areas of weakness and correcting them so that the problems don't linger from one season to the next.
There are so many factors in a basic BLOB play. Did this guy set a good screen, did this guy sell his fake one way and come off hard, how well the opponent has scouted you because they probably know all of the plays already… it’s not just on Wusu.

This is why I feel the criticism is not really fair. But it is what it is. He’s gonna pass the ball in next season too 🤣🤣

There are so many factors in a basic BLOB play. Did this guy set a good screen, did this guy sell his fake one way and come off hard, how well the opponent has scouted you because they probably know all of the plays already… it’s not just on Wusu.

This is why I feel the criticism is not really fair. But it is what it is. He’s gonna pass the ball in next season too 🤣🤣
Wusu does so many good things it shocks me the criticism he was put in a position ( handling the ball ) where isnt his best spot to succeed but that issue is absolutely completely resolved this year. I cant wait to see him this season

Wusu does so many good things it shocks me the criticism he was put in a position ( handling the ball ) where isnt his best spot to succeed but that issue is absolutely completely resolved this year. I cant wait to see him this season
Glue guy in his first year as an upperclassmen. I’m not saying he’s going to the NBA, but he’s an essential part going forward.

Don’t sleep on Tez Mathis either.. these guys are working hard right now. Summer workouts start soon.

Glue guy in his first year as an upperclassmen. I’m not saying he’s going to the NBA, but he’s an essential part going forward.

Don’t sleep on Tez Mathis either.. these guys are working hard right now. Summer workouts start soon.
I hope all of our players work their ass off in the long 7 month off season and come back better players than they were the season before. It will be to theirs and everyone’s collective benefit.

I hope all of our players work their ass off in the long 7 month off season and come back better players than they were the season before. It will be to theirs and everyone’s collective benefit.

That's one thing I'm confident in under CMA. Especially now that he has his guys who have bought into the system. They will work hard and he will develop them and get improvements. The same could no be assumed of previous coaching staffs.

That's one thing I'm confident in under CMA. Especially now that he has his guys who have bought into the system. They will work hard and he will develop them and get improvements. The same could no be assumed of previous coaching staffs.
Isn’t it shocking that Mullin , who became a superstar because he was a workaholic, a gym rat, never insisted on the same from his players when he coached!

Red will be the starters when the season starts but the lineups will change multiple times before getting settled as it gets closer to conference play. Wusu will start from game one but may get edged out by Storr or Pinzon as the season goes on.

Red / White

Posh - Curbelo
Wusu - Storr
Mathis. - Pinzon
Jones. - Thomas
Soriano - Nyiwe

Traore
King
Keita
The days of guys like Mathis starting and getting big minutes are over. Pinzon or Storr need to start at that spot and play major minutes. Coach Mike needs to change his philosophy a bit and lean more towards the offensive players.

Back