2022-23 Season

This is revisionist history. Wheeler had an opportunity here at the beginning of the season and didn't do anything with it. Now that Wheeler's gone people like to downplay the rough start he had here. He was completely out of the rotation at one point and registered a DNP. His situation was more of things just finally clicked for him rather than him not having an opportunity at Purdue, because he had opportunities there as he did here to start the season.

And who's to say after 1 year in CMA's system and a good off-season things can't also click for Mathis? Mathis is not a bad player by any standards, him and Wusu for some reason are the punching bags here, when neither are bad players. Mathis has shown he can be a starter on a tournament team, his only weakness in his game is shooting and shot selection at times. He's already a very solid defender and a really good athlete at 6'4. And I'm not saying he will come out and be Julian Champagnie and average 19 PPG next year, but if next year he's a starter, improves his shooting, ,continues to get his 8-10 PPG, and helps get the team into the tournament, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Wheeler averaged 4 shots per game in three seasons at Purdue. Mathis 7.8 shots in 3 years at Rutgers. Mathis has consistently taken over 7 shots per game every year. His 1st 3 years at Rutgers averages fg 38.1%, 3pt 27.8%, FT 58.7%, 1 APG, 1.1 TO. Last year FG 42%, 3pt 26.4%, FT 62.3%, 1.9 APG, 1.2 turnovers. He’s taken enough shots per game to get his shooting rhythm. I agree he’s a solid defender. Offensively he just has a poor basketball IQ. Is not a good shooter and takes drives to the hoop with little chance of being able to finish. He takes way more shots than he should, he averaged 7.7 shots per game and Wheeler 7.8 last season. I hope he has a great year next season. IMHO I just don’t see dramatic improvement coming. If you look at his numbers he’s consistently been the same player for 4 years with plenty of playing time each year. I respect your opinion and hope you’re right and things click for him.

Wheeler averaged 4 shots per game in three seasons at Purdue. Mathis 7.8 shots in 3 years at Rutgers. Mathis has consistently taken over 7 shots per game every year. His 1st 3 years at Rutgers averages fg 38.1%, 3pt 27.8%, FT 58.7%, 1 APG, 1.1 TO. Last year FG 42%, 3pt 26.4%, FT 62.3%, 1.9 APG, 1.2 turnovers. He’s taken enough shots per game to get his shooting rhythm. I agree he’s a solid defender. Offensively he just has a poor basketball IQ. Is not a good shooter and takes drives to the hoop with little chance of being able to finish. He takes way more shots than he should, he averaged 7.7 shots per game and Wheeler 7.8 last season. I hope he has a great year next season. IMHO I just don’t see dramatic improvement coming. If you look at his numbers he’s consistently been the same player for 4 years with plenty of playing time each year. I respect your opinion and hope you’re right and things click for him.

What does shots per game of each player have to do with your original comment that Wheeler didn't get an opportunity at Purdue? As you mentioned in that post he started 14 games during his time there, and he was given minutes in nearly every single game he was there. That's the definition of getting an opportunity. If the coach puts someone on the floor the rest is up to that individual, if he's playing timid or not playing well enough to get more minutes to attempt more than 4 shots, that's on him not the coach. He played timid here for the first 10 or so games here as well, until that sense of urgency kicked in and he figured things out.

And what you are essentially saying is, because Wheeler took less shots per game and was a less effective player most of his career it's no surprise he improved his numbers, but because Mathis has attempted more shots per game and demanded more minutes because he was a better player for most of his career, it's unlikely he can improve his numbers? I don't buy that.

What does shots per game of each player have to do with your original comment that Wheeler didn't get an opportunity at Purdue? As you mentioned in that post he started 14 games during his time there, and he was given minutes in nearly every single game he was there. That's the definition of getting an opportunity. If the coach puts someone on the floor the rest is up to that individual, if he's playing timid or not playing well enough to get more minutes to attempt more than 4 shots, that's on him not the coach. He played timid here for the first 10 or so games here as well, until that sense of urgency kicked in and he figured things out.

And what you are essentially saying is, because Wheeler took less shots per game and was a less effective player most of his career it's no surprise he improved his numbers, but because Mathis has attempted more shots per game and demanded more minutes because he was a better player for most of his career, it's unlikely he can improve his numbers? I don't buy that.
Smaller sample size. Potential for improvement. Mathis had a big enough sample size that proved he couldn’t shoot. If being timid determines the amount of shots a guy takes then maybe Mathis should be a little more timid. What you’re saying is because Mathis played more at Rutgers than Wheeler at Purdue he was the better player. Yet when they played on the same team Wheeler was by far the better player. In preseason practices and during the season. I guess you’re right, shots per game or what team you’re on and who’s in front of you have nothing to do with a players opportunity to develop. Isn’t that why guys transfer in the first place. Mathis would not have started at Purdue. Just my opinion.

This is revisionist history. Wheeler had an opportunity here at the beginning of the season and didn't do anything with it. Now that Wheeler's gone people like to downplay the rough start he had here. He was completely out of the rotation at one point and registered a DNP. His situation was more of things just finally clicked for him rather than him not having an opportunity at Purdue, because he had opportunities there as he did here to start the season.

And who's to say after 1 year in CMA's system and a good off-season things can't also click for Mathis? Mathis is not a bad player by any standards, him and Wusu for some reason are the punching bags here, when neither are bad players. Mathis has shown he can be a starter on a tournament team, his only weakness in his game is shooting and shot selection at times. He's already a very solid defender and a really good athlete at 6'4. And I'm not saying he will come out and be Julian Champagnie and average 19 PPG next year, but if next year he's a starter, improves his shooting, ,continues to get his 8-10 PPG, and helps get the team into the tournament, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Revisionisy history ? Did Mathis and Wheeler both play last year same time ? OMG How about this let's bet and I'm not anti Mathis. I;ll bet you a $200 gift card that his numbers arent overall 10% better this year

Revisionisy history ? Did Mathis and Wheeler both play last year same time ? OMG How about this let's bet and I'm not anti Mathis. I;ll bet you a $200 gift card that his numbers arent overall 10% better this year
So- 10% increase puts him at:
9ppg
3.7rpg
2.1apg
46%fg
29%3p

Allow me to have 4/5 of those to hit and I'll take that bet.... something you won't find on Draft Kings lol. In Mathis I Trust! lol

So- 10% increase puts him at:
9ppg
3.7rpg
2.1apg
46%fg
29%3p

Allow me to have 4/5 of those to hit and I'll take that bet.... something you won't find on Draft Kings lol. In Mathis I Trust! lol
The field goal % is definitely the loser, the rest are I believe easily attainable.

Yes, revisionist history. A lot of people on this board through the first 11 games was done with Wheeler and was questioning the pick-up and if he should even get playing time at all, he was that bad at the beginning of the season. And I'll bet $2,000 actual money (I don't need anymore gift cards clogging up desk), that I can pull up the posts during the season where posters (myself included) was heavily criticizing his play.

Now, all of a sudden all he needed was an "opportunity" when he played double figure in minutes 7 of the first 11 games, and didn't produce much with those minutes (Mathis out played him those first 11 games). And that's what I'm talking about when I say revisionist history. The true story on Wheeler is, it took him 4 1/2 years for things to finally click, to his credit after he got a DNP, he responded the right way and played some very good basketball for little over half a season. And my whole point for bringing Wheeler in the discussion is to show, it doesn't matter how old you are in college basketball you can still improve. Mathis will be heading into 5th year this year as Wheeler was heading into his 5th year last year. If Wheeler, a career 3 PPG guy, can improve after 4 1/2 years to a 10 PPG guy, then maybe a career 8 PPG guy can improve to a 9-10 PPG guy, that's literally all I'm saying here.

Was it unexpected that Wheeler would leave? I was certain he'd be around this year.
Not many 24 year old "kids" are still in college playing basketball these days
Heck, at 24, I was married for 3 years and had a child to support

Did anybody catch the actual breakdown of the ticket prices?

A season ticket came to something like (and these are approximations) $560 per season ticket at CA, and $210 per season ticket at MSG.

Unless they're lumping the red/white donation with the MSG tickets, that only comes to something like 2 or 3 games at MSG this season. That's going to make a lot of people upset, but like I've said for years, what exactly do we bring to the table for MSG, these days?

Did anybody catch the actual breakdown of the ticket prices?

A season ticket came to something like (and these are approximations) $560 per season ticket at CA, and $210 per season ticket at MSG.

Unless they're lumping the red/white donation with the MSG tickets, that only comes to something like 2 or 3 games at MSG this season. That's going to make a lot of people upset, but like I've said for years, what exactly do we bring to the table for MSG, these days?
Pretty sure they are playing Nova, Georgetown, Seton Hall, UCONN at home. Not sure about Providence or a non conference game. Cheapest seat is $465. Those are the seats without the contributions.

Back