2022-23 Season

The thing that keeps me from qualifying Champ as one of "the Greats" is his failure to lead the team to a tourney bid. I believe that all the other players mentioned about were part of a team that made The Tourney on at least on occasion. Had Champ had a better year and came through in key games then I may have thought differently.
Yep that was my point from the start. You can't be great if your teams are mediocre.

C'mon. I think Jones is very solid and I'm glad we got him and can't wait to see him play this year, but Freeman-Liberty was by far the best player on DePaul last year whether it was against us or anyone else.
I’m not a big fan of Freeman-Liberty. He had a good 24 game season last year but he often takes poor shots and he’s a chucker. After 4 years of college ball was a 31% career 3 point shooter and 29% in 3 years prior to this season. Jones was a sophomore and had a season statistically very similar to Liberty’s junior season. I like Jones all around game and he still has room to grow. You have ball hogs all over the NBA that get their share of points but it doesn’t help their teams win ball games. IMHO I like Jones all around game. Sometimes points scored per game aren’t everything.

I’m not a big fan of Freeman-Liberty. He had a good 24 game season last year but he often takes poor shots and he’s a chucker. After 4 years of college ball was a 31% career 3 point shooter and 29% in 3 years prior to this season. Jones was a sophomore and had a season statistically very similar to Liberty’s junior season. I like Jones all around game and he still has room to grow. You have ball hogs all over the NBA that get their share of points but it doesn’t help their teams win ball games. IMHO I like Jones all around game. Sometimes points scored per game aren’t everything.
I agree with much of what you wrote, especially points not being the end all be all most specifically, but Freeman liberty did a bunch of other things at a high level.

I agree with much of what you wrote, especially points not being the end all be all most specifically, but Freeman liberty did a bunch of other things at a high level.
Freeman Liberty looked like All World in that game against us where he scored like 42 points or close to it . He wasn’t as effective in the BE Tourney against us but , neither were any of his teammates .

I think Wusu is the one who can move the needle. First off they need to take the ball out of his hands on ALL in bounds plays. Other coaches have told me their players post game we're beat up by his strength. With 2 smaller guards he needs to defend the 3's and make it difficult to get to their spots. If he can hit some open shots and really listen and improve his decision making I think he's primed for a nice jump

All good points. He started to get it late last season when his time was cut. He only got the time he did early on because Mike had no choice. Driveing into crowds or going up against big guys was ugly.

Wusu is the guy I want setting the screen on inbounds plays.

What's wrong with Wusu inbounding the ball? He has a 4-2 Assist to Turnover rate. Only person on the team with better is Posh, and Posh it the guy you want the ball getting inbounded to. Coaches typically have one of the top passers inbounding the ball on dead ball situations, and by the stats Wusu is the second best passer on the team. Now maybe that changes this year with Curberllo, but regardless he is not a bad choice to have the ball in his hands. Man, the Wusu hate on this board is insane. I've never seen anything like it, you'd think from reading here he averaged 2 points, shoot 5% from 3, and has 5 turnovers a game.

What's wrong with Wusu inbounding the ball? He has a 4-2 Assist to Turnover rate. Only person on the team with better is Posh, and Posh it the guy you want the ball getting inbounded to. Coaches typically have one of the top passers inbounding the ball on dead ball situations, and by the stats Wusu is the second best passer on the team. Now maybe that changes this year with Curberllo, but regardless he is not a bad choice to have the ball in his hands. Man, the Wusu hate on this board is insane. I've never seen anything like it, you'd think from reading here he averaged 2 points, shoot 5% from 3, and has 5 turnovers a game.
It’s the devil you know

watch him this year. No longer an underclassmen. Coming into his college prime

I’d like to see Wusu get a few more post ups a game if there’s a smaller guard on him. I was watching the Indiana game recently and he just abused a guard in the paint for an easy bucket. He’s a tough mismatch in that scenario, Villanova style with the guard post up. I’m also convinced Pinzon would of played a key role if he didn’t miss so many games. His skill level is already there it’s just his body needs to catch up; I hope he’s putting in the work this summer. Him and Stanley are the two guys I predict make significant jumps in minutes and production. Stanley has freakishly huge hands and at 230 he still looks like he could support more weight without losing mobility. Solid skills and a high motor I think he’s a pretty safe bet to move up the depth chart.

He had at least 8 or 9 costly turnovers inbounding. A couple at the end of the game. Also I am one of the biggest Wusu fans on the board. Just saying he is too small and makes poor decisions inbounding.

He had at least 8 or 9 costly turnovers inbounding. A couple at the end of the game. Also I am one of the biggest Wusu fans on the board. Just saying he is too small and makes poor decisions inbounding.
I don't remember 8 or 9 times last year he turned the ball over just simply inbounding it off a dead ball play. I can probably remember 3 or 4 times he did off the top of my head, but 8 or 9 seems like hyperbole, and goes back to what I was saying of people just overexaggerating his mistakes. As they say men lie, women lie, numbers don't. The numbers don't show him as the high turnover guy people are trying to make him out to be. He had the ball in his hands a lot this year and only had 2 turnovers a game, so if he's out of control losing the ball, having a bunch of inbound turnovers, and getting offensive fouls out of control like people have been saying, where are all the turnovers per game to back this up? Because Posh averaged more turnovers per game, but nobody ever says Posh is bad with the basketball.

And also FYI 6'4 is not small for inbounding. Phoenix Suns, the team that had the best record in the NBA, uses Chris Paul to inbound on most of their dead ball plays, and he's barely 6'0. Most teams use their guards to inbound on dead ball situations, especially under their own basket.

I don't remember 8 or 9 times last year he turned the ball over just simply inbounding it off a dead ball play. I can probably remember 3 or 4 times he did off the top of my head, but 8 or 9 seems like hyperbole, and goes back to what I was saying of people just overexaggerating his mistakes. As they say men lie, women lie, numbers don't. The numbers don't show him as the high turnover guy people are trying to make him out to be. He had the ball in his hands a lot this year and only had 2 turnovers a game, so if he's out of control losing the ball, having a bunch of inbound turnovers, and getting offensive fouls out of control like people have been saying, where are all the turnovers per game to back this up? Because Posh averaged more turnovers per game, but nobody ever says Posh is bad with the basketball.

And also FYI 6'4 is not small for inbounding. Phoenix Suns, the team that had the best record in the NBA, uses Chris Paul to inbound on most of their dead ball plays, and he's barely 6'0. Most teams use their guards to inbound on dead ball situations, especially under their own basket.

You know I love him as much as anyone. There have been multiple times where he happened to be the inbounder late and it didn’t work out. It goes back to his freshmen year vs Butler where it probably lost us the game. Do I think it’s overblown with a little hyperbole? Absolutely. He’s had many more cases of making a good pass that leads to a bucket off an out of bounds play. But it isn’t out of nowhere. I happen to think if it were left to anyone else other than posh or Julian (like you said, the guys we want to receive the inbounds pass), the mistakes would have been just as bad and probably worse.

watch him this year. No longer an underclassmen. Coming into his college prime
Totally agree. He is going to be one of the leaders of the team. Even if his PT goes down. The kid is a bulldog and if the others don't play like him they'll be sitting.

In almost all cases every player is not good at everything. Wusu does not get his due and can really play. Wusu should never inbound late and close. The first sentence doesn’t make the second sentence false.

Back