2022-23 Season

Jones literally just came off a career best season in the same Big East Champ and Posh was in. Lit us up one of those games.

Is it a stretch to say he can avg 17-18 ppg next year?

Is it a stretch to say that Curbelo can return to preseason all American form?
Agree. Jones is a stud.

Curbelo and Jones vs. Champagnie and Wheeler is an odd way to look at next year versus this year. It assumes that every single one of the following players who have stayed in the program and played last year will not improve:

Posh
Addae-Wusu
Pinzon
Nyiwe
Soriano
Mathis
Stanley
Troare (redshirt)

Anything is possible but that seems highly unlikely to me.

On top of that I agree Curbelo is a wild card but it's logical to expect Jones to be better than Wheeler, who has become a lot more popular here now than when he played for SJU. How does it make sense to cherry pick Wheelers play in the second half of last season and compare it to Jones but not project any improvement for Jones from what he did this year?

I don't consider myself a rose-colored glasses guy, in fact I had my manhood challenged on this site around this time last year for suggesting that nine guys transferring out was a real problem. Which, of course it was. Well, that didn't happen this time, and considering the current environment the retention rate this year has been remarkable.

That will matter, and don't worry, it's okay to be optimistic. I am looking forward to this year much more than last.
this! .... solid one

For reference list of STJs players to be All BE 1st team twice:
Champagnie
Ponds
D-Lo
Hatten
Sealy (plus 2nd team once)
Mark Jackson
Mullin - THRICE (2nd team once)

Also for reference here's those that were first team once:
Hardy
Lamont Hamilton (2nd once, 3rd once)
Barkely
Artest
Felipe (plus 3rd twice)
David Cain
Boo
Truth (plus 2nd team once)
David Russell (plus 2nd team 3x)
Reggie Carter

And here's everyone else who made 2nd or third team:
Wayne McKoy (2nd once, 3rd once)
Fran Gilroy (3rd)
Billy Goodwin (3rd twice)
Wennington (2nd once, 3rd once)
Mike Moses (3rd team)
Willie Glass (3rd)
Buchanan (2nd)
Werdann (3rd)
Shawnelle (2nd once, 3rd once)
Middleton (3rd)
Michael Porter (3rd)
Shelton Jones (2nd)
Jayson Williams (2nd)
Zendon (2nd team 3x)
Bootsy (1 2nd, 1 3rd)
Lavor (2nd)
Omar (3rd)
Showtime (3rd)
Sir'Dom (2nd)

That's 36 players from the Big East era. Safe to say the top 36. I'm sure one of the old guys could reel off another 30 or more from the previous era. Still would be tough to have 2 first team all BE and not be top 50. Agreed.

Awesome stuff.

Could be wrong but I thought Harrison was first team once and preseason first team another.

When we played DePaul I felt like Jones was the best player on their team. He was the one guy I was hoping would get into foul trouble. Felt like he was an extremely tough matchup for us. I think he’s a great pickup for us. I don’t know what version of Curbelo we are going to get but I would guess it will be closer to his freshman season which was consistent with the player he’s always been. I also think we should be greatly improved defensively when you compare players that have left with the players coming in. I think we’ll be faster and more athletic.

I know I’m in the minority on this but I just don’t see Posh and Curbello a good combination. They just don’t compliment each other at all and both need the balll to be effective. Perhaps if one comes back with a three point shot but one of them is going to have to put up points.

The Posh and Curbelo backcourt reminds me of the Boo Harvey and Michael Porter Days of 2 PGs in the same backcourt. We shall see how this one plays out but I am cautiously optimistic knowing how much of a team player Posh is

When we played DePaul I felt like Jones was the best player on their team. He was the one guy I was hoping would get into foul trouble. Felt like he was an extremely tough matchup for us. I think he’s a great pickup for us. I don’t know what version of Curbelo we are going to get but I would guess it will be closer to his freshman season which was consistent with the player he’s always been. I also think we should be greatly improved defensively when you compare players that have left with the players coming in. I think we’ll be faster and more athletic.
When I read this I said I didnt write this??

Then I noticed the 2 after the eric. There were so many other choices eric2!!!!! LOL 😂

To keep this on topic. I am so excited for this season.

When I read this I said I didnt write this??

Then I noticed the 2 after the eric. There were so many other choices eric2!!!!! LOL 😂

To keep this on topic. I am so excited for this season.
If Eric2 starts talking about sports investing It's going to be a real problem :)

I know I’m in the minority on this but I just don’t see Posh and Curbello a good combination. They just don’t compliment each other at all and both need the balll to be effective. Perhaps if one comes back with a three point shot but one of them is going to have to put up points.
If Posh or Curbelo have an ounce of basketball IQ (which I think they have plenty), they’ll compliment each other fine.

The staff have always thought of Posh as an undersized slasher with playmaking ability. He scraps, scores on putbacks, and had the ability to be a sneaky cutter.

Curbelo will take pressure off of Posh handling the ball too much (I actually think this is beneficial for both of them). Belo likes to probe and can find a guy like slipping underneath the basket and (hopefully) thread the needle if be.

I will also say this; people poo poo on our offense, but when we are right, and executing, we get easy shots off of the offense. Freeing up Belo might be what’s needed for the kid.

We shall see how it works. Keep our fingers crossed.

In the Johnnies Tidbits thread goredstorm posted "t looks like Posh is training with the Elwell Acadamy (run by a former Wagner College player) on Staten Island. Based upon the most recent post on their FB page, they are working on off the ball movement and shooting with him." If that work pays off he and Curbelo will be fine together. Also shows what a great teammate Posh is and how smart he is. Working on the right things to help the team.

Wheeler's scoring will be missed but not as much as people think. Truth is that we didn't have a lot of scorers. If Posh and/or Wusu didn't work on their jumpers this off season we are in trouble but I got think that Posh will have more confidence in his shot and take the 3 more. Wusu doesn't lack the confidence but it would be nice if he hit a few.

Wheeler's scoring will be missed but not as much as people think. Truth is that we didn't have a lot of scorers. If Posh and/or Wusu didn't work on their jumpers this off season we are in trouble but I got think that Posh will have more confidence in his shot and take the 3 more. Wusu doesn't lack the confidence but it would be nice if he hit a few.
You realize Wusu shot 38% from 3 last year, right? 4.5% better than Champ

Back