2022-23 Season

I have to agree. the Redmen would be tossing out a fortune and the Big East needs them for the Garden.

If we made it through the 8 suspended players back in the Keita (Abe) fiasco we ain't leaving now.

If the Redmen had the run that Depaul has had since they joined I would understand possibly (however not) leaving.

It really is just the overall frustration that all of us old-timers have with the spotty results of the program. But kids ain't staying home and NYC ain't the hub of HS players like it used to be.

We Play to Win the Game! So lets WIN THE GAME!
Agree. The best high school players are in New Jersey.

What makes anybody think Anderson's going to change his routine of starting Mathis for defensive purposes and bringing Wusu off the bench to see significant minutes? He trusts these guys and Storr or anybody else is going to have to earn the ability to step in as a replacement, coupled with a significant decrease in ability from Mathis and/or Wusu.

As far as Wusu's ball handling skills: Curbello.

Going into the season the starters are probably going to be Posh, Curbello, Jones, Soriano and the 5th spot is open.
Hopefully A J Storr for that last starting position but more likely Omar Stanley as the group you mentioned could use a little more help on the boards.

I am a fan of yours Knight
However
“NCAA or”…
NCAA or else what?
Stop being an SJU fan?
Stop watching the games?

It’s like when people critique Coach Anderson, what is a better alternative?
Most all of us on this board are frustrated with how poor we performed for decades. And how sweet it will be if and when we finally get a 20 win team and an NCAA a run.

I’m an optimistic - and realistic - type of guy. Still it’s hard to believe how little success and how few NCAA games we’ve participated in how long, again that word - “decades”!!!

Blessings
SS&G and the
Black Knights of the Hudson
I am a fan of yours Knight
However
“NCAA or”…
NCAA or else what?
Stop being an SJU fan?
Stop watching the games?

It’s like when people critique Coach Anderson, what is a better alternative?
Most all of us on this board are frustrated with how poor we performed for decades. And how sweet it will be if and when we finally get a 20 win team and an NCAA a run.

I’m an optimistic - and realistic - type of guy. Still it’s hard to believe how little success and how few NCAA games we’ve participated in how long, again that word - “decades”!!!

Blessings
SS&G and the
Black Knights of the Hudson
How about holding Anderson to at least the minimum standard that Lavin and Mullin were held to? And while not formally stated each were expected to get at least a Dance bid within 4 years and that didn't help either of them. If Anderson can't make the Dance by next season, in four years as the head coach, he should be out... period. And how do you know there is no better alternative. Perhaps with a competent search committee, and a more experienced Cragg, there would be one.

How about holding Anderson to at least the minimum standard that Lavin and Mullin were held to? And while not formally stated each were expected to get at least a Dance bid within 4 years and that didn't help either of them. If Anderson can't make the Dance by next season, in four years as the head coach, he should be out... period. And how do you know there is no better alternative. Perhaps with a competent search committee, and a more experienced Cragg, there would be one.
The man at very the top didn't even expect Mullin to work over the summer. You really think he had great expectations?

Neither Mullin nor Lavin were solely fired for on court success/failure. They both basically stopped working. Stopped recruiting. How quickly we forget how frustrating the lack of effort by those 2 coaches/staffs were. Perhaps that is why some are giving CMA and his staff a longer leash, because there is not anyone saying he is not working and recruiting. I get that the results haven't translated, but give me someone that works hard versus entire staffs that were deemed lazy any day of the week

Neither Mullin nor Lavin were solely fired for on court success/failure. They both basically stopped working. Stopped recruiting. How quickly we forget how frustrating the lack of effort by those 2 coaches/staffs were. Perhaps that is why some are giving CMA and his staff a longer leash, because there is not anyone saying he is not working and recruiting. I get that the results haven't translated, but give me someone that works hard versus entire staffs that were deemed lazy any day of the week
Cancer, loss of a brother, family moving away. Some hills are harder to climb than others. I don't know enough about hoops to judge either Lav or Chris. I always thought (going back to UCLA where he also lost key players on the cusp of the tournament) Lav teams were less than the sum of their parts and that Chris tried to put in a 5 out offense on a team that did not have that kind of talent. There is no judgement of character inherent in my viewpoint, only some reading about judgmental behavior from my work on addiction combined with my hoops ignorance.

Cancer, loss of a brother, family moving away. Some hills are harder to climb than others. I don't know enough about hoops to judge either Lav or Chris. I always thought (going back to UCLA where he also lost key players on the cusp of the tournament) Lav teams were less than the sum of their parts and that Chris tried to put in a 5 out offense on a team that did not have that kind of talent. There is no judgement of character inherent in my viewpoint, only some reading about judgmental behavior from my work on addiction combined with my hoops ignorance.
I don't disagree with anything you have said here and I actually think you strengthened my point in that making the comparison directly doesn't make sense. There are always extenuating circumstances so to just say this one thing or you're out and it is because other coaches did it is silly to me.

HOGWASH!!!

I don't disagree JR, and am still skeptical that CMA is the solution to a return to sustained success for our program, but oftentimes you've got to sacrifice in the short term(to some degree) in order to restore stability in the hopes that it lead to long term success. There was a lot of turmoil under Lavin and some under Mullin. Yes we had highs under both coaches that we haven't seen under CMA, but there were also lows and drama that we haven't seen under CMA. The reality of it is that CMA will not be held to the same standards, in terms of success on the court, as either Mullin or Lavin. He'll be given more time to right the ship. Only time will tell if that's the right call.

Only because of the references to Mullin and Lav, just have to note one of my favorite anecdotes/statements about Coach Lav (who I fully supported). Apparently Justin Burrell, after a big win (possibly Pitt) said, “He doesn’t really coach, I’m actually not sure what he does.”

I think that was a fair assessment. The X and O’s and the amoeba defense during the 2010-11 season were largely run by Dunlap. Still, Coach Lav clearly was able to get the most out of a group that had underperformed under the prior staff. If not for a bad luck injury to DJ Kennedy against Syracuse in the Big East Tournament, that magical season had a good chance of ending very differently than a loss to a mediocre Gonzaga squad in the NCAA Tournament.

Ok, sorry, I realize I just went down an off-topic rabbit hole. Back to this upcoming season — which I’m hopeful will provide the excitement and fun that we were all hoping for (and even expecting) last season. Go Johnnies!!!

More than just good.
We returned the BE leading scorer and the BE newcomer/defensive player of the year.
Those are two great building blocks for success.
But that didn't happen.
The trick for a St John's fan is to have high hopes but no expectations at the start of each season
This way, when things don't pan out as you would have liked , you won't be disappointed
The same philosophy holds true for all my favorite teams (Mets, Jets, Knicks and Rangers)

Back