2022-23 Season

When we played DePaul I felt like Jones was the best player on their team. He was the one guy I was hoping would get into foul trouble. Felt like he was an extremely tough matchup for us. I think he’s a great pickup for us. I don’t know what version of Curbelo we are going to get but I would guess it will be closer to his freshman season which was consistent with the player he’s always been. I also think we should be greatly improved defensively when you compare players that have left with the players coming in. I think we’ll be faster and more athletic.
C'mon. I think Jones is very solid and I'm glad we got him and can't wait to see him play this year, but Freeman-Liberty was by far the best player on DePaul last year whether it was against us or anyone else.

C'mon. I think Jones is very solid and I'm glad we got him and can't wait to see him play this year, but Freeman-Liberty was by far the best player on DePaul last year whether it was against us or anyone else.
If you listen to many of the posters on this board, you'd think it was Jones who was the 1st team All Big East player twice, and about to get drafted and play in the league. Not Champagnie.

Going to Iowa state won’t be easy but after their sweet 16 appearance it would be nice to steal this win.
Lost their two best players. Only returning 4. Expected to start three transfers including Tre King ex of GTown. Challenging but not as challenging as if Ty Hunter didn't transfer.

Lost their two best players. Only returning 4. Expected to start three transfers including Tre King ex of GTown. Challenging but not as challenging as if Ty Hunter didn't transfer.

Everything you said is true but remember what Iowa state was supposed to be before this past year?

Everything you said is true but remember what Iowa state was supposed to be before this past year?

What were that at the end of last year? They entered the tourney an 11 seed. Ranked 41-44. two tourney wins against overachieving majors were nice but they weren't world beaters. It'll be a good challenge, akin to Indiana (12 seed by the way) last year. I'm not in the "we need to play duke, kansas and kentucky every year" camp so I'm fine with it.

When considering Julian's standing with some of the great St. John's players, I find to hard to ignore the intangibles. He was remarkably mature for a 20 year old kid and likely valuable to have around while you're trying to build a culture.

I guess we will get a home game for big 10/big east challenge.

Who wants Willard again with maryland?

Iowa State gets a 5th transfer in Bonnies center and two time A10 defensive player of the year Osun Osunniyi. That kind can play; Iowa State will be a very tough road game for us.

The St. John’s schedule hurt our team last year. So, I hope Iowa State is a tough but reasonable challenge. These are exactly the type of games you want to play. I will be curious to see who we play from the Big Ten. Maybe that’s a home game as we travelled to Indiana last year?

Iowa State gets a 5th transfer in Bonnies center and two time A10 defensive player of the year Osun Osunniyi. That kind can play; Iowa State will be a very tough road game for us.
Their 6th transfer will be their best one too

When considering Julian's standing with some of the great St. John's players, I find to hard to ignore the intangibles. He was remarkably mature for a 20 year old kid and likely valuable to have around while you're trying to build a culture.

Great post. And don't forget he wasn't a highly rated recruit when he chose St. John's, and there really weren't huge expectations. And the fact of the matter is he chose to come to St. John's and stay home when he had other options, and stuck it out 3 years here.

I think the idea of "greats" is also a matter of style in way the game has changed over time. I mean Jayson Williams wouldn't fit the way the game is played now. Billy Singleton was a monster. I think a lot of old schoolers miss that kind of toughness. Where would JC fit in with the Malik teams or the teams of the early 90's? You see it on this board with Fans that only go back to Marcus Hatten days. The program has massively changed when in the past there were always multiple scorers and not just 2 guys who could shoot and monopolize all the shots.

The St. John’s schedule hurt our team last year. So, I hope Iowa State is a tough but reasonable challenge. These are exactly the type of games you want to play. I will be curious to see who we play from the Big Ten. Maybe that’s a home game as we travelled to Indiana last year?
It wasn’t the schedule. It was missed free throws, bunnies and inability to close out close games. Although the schedule didn’t help.

The thing that keeps me from qualifying Champ as one of "the Greats" is his failure to lead the team to a tourney bid. I believe that all the other players mentioned about were part of a team that made The Tourney on at least on occasion. Had Champ had a better year and came through in key games then I may have thought differently.

Back