2021 NY GIANTS

Knight post=439381 said:
How long has Gettleman been GM?

Here's the thing.  At the end of last season it was clear we needed help with pass rush and offensive line.  Yet, he (again) decided to roll the dice.  He spent a bulk of the cap space and draft picks on skill players (i.e. Galladay, Booker, Rudolph, Toney, Jackson) and hoped to piece together scraps in the trenches on both lines.  He also let Zeitler (arguably our most consistent O-lineman) and Dalvin Tomlinson (team captain and perhaps future pro bowl defensive tackle) sign elsewhere.

We need someone who is going to prioritize lineman.  The Giants have had the same problem for a decade.  Gettleman knew this and said it was a goal in his opening press conference.  For us to be here going into his 4th season represents a callosal failure on his part.   

On wfan yesterday Carton said that the Giants have the worst record in the NFL in the last 5 years. That's even worse than what I thought. 

JohnnyFan post=439383 said:
Knight post=439381 said:

Here's the thing.  At the end of last season it was clear we needed help with pass rush and offensive line.  Yet, he (again) decided to roll the dice.  He spent a bulk of the cap space and draft picks on skill players (i.e. Galladay, Booker, Rudolph, Toney, Jackson) and hoped to piece together scraps in the trenches on both lines.  He also let Zeitler (arguably our most consistent O-lineman) and Dalvin Tomlinson (team captain and perhaps future pro bowl defensive tackle) sign elsewhere.

We need someone who is going to prioritize lineman.  The Giants have had the same problem for a decade.  Gettleman knew this and said it was a goal in his opening press conference.  For us to be here going into his 4th season represents a callosal failure on his part.   

Not a Gettleman fan myself and wanted him gone after last year but a couple of things you mentioned.  

Giants were Top 10 defense last year.  13th in sacks.  Everyone thought they would try and spend big on a pass rusher but that was always a false narrative.  The money went to Leonard Williams and they were amazingly already in cap hell with the 2 premier positions of QB and RB on rookie contracts.  Everyone was saying improve the OL and get more weapons.  Zietler had to be cut to make room for those others.  Dalvin couldn't come back or then you would have to punt some of the offensive weapons like Golladay or Rudolph.  Kevin Abrams has been just as bad as Gettleman and Reese before him but for some reason he gets away scot free.  The Giants cap situation is BAD.  They just kicked the can down the road this offseason.  Then they make a great trade picking up an extra 1st but spend it on a mercurial WR who know already seems to be causing drama.

For the first time in my life as a Giants fan I'm dejected.

Moose post=439391 said:
Knight post=439381 said:

Not a Gettleman fan myself and wanted him gone after last year but a couple of things you mentioned.  

Giants were Top 10 defense last year.  13th in sacks.  Everyone thought they would try and spend big on a pass rusher but that was always a false narrative.  The money went to Leonard Williams and they were amazingly already in cap hell with the 2 premier positions of QB and RB on rookie contracts.  Everyone was saying improve the OL and get more weapons.  Zietler had to be cut to make room for those others.  Dalvin couldn't come back or then you would have to punt some of the offensive weapons like Golladay or Rudolph.  Kevin Abrams has been just as bad as Gettleman and Reese before him but for some reason he gets away scot free.  The Giants cap situation is BAD.  They just kicked the can down the road this offseason.  Then they make a great trade picking up an extra 1st but spend it on a mercurial WR who know already seems to be causing drama.

All good points.....I did forget that Leonard Williams took a big chunk.  Personally, I thought the Galladay signing was unnecessary. He is not one of the top 5 receivers in the league, yet that is how we are paying him.    I know most people wanted to go out and get "weapons".  Not me....I favor building with the big men first. 

Last edited:
JohnnyFan post=439395 said:
Moose post=439391 said:
Knight post=439381 said:

All good points.....I did forget that Leonard Williams took a big chunk.  Personally, I thought the Galladay signing was unnecessary. He is not one of the top 5 receivers in the league, yet that is how we are paying him.    I know most people wanted to go out and get "weapons".  Not me....I favor building with the big men first. 

That's fair.  Overpaying for Nate Solder still stings for many Giants fans so not sure if there was an OL on the market.  I wasn't big on Golladay.  Shep is perfect slot receiver.  But Slayton hasn't shown he's a #2 yet.  They simply 'had' to get a 1 or 2 WR.  Depending on Barkley to come back to 100% is too big a risk.  Many talked of Corey Davis who signed for a lot less than Golladay.  Did they sign the right one?  So far no.

The sad part is I think the next GM is already in the office.  I think its Kyle O'Brien.  He knows Judge from NE.  And he's 'new blood' as this is just his first year.  Then again he didn't go great in DET.  I definitely have made my distaste for Kevin Abrams and I want him nowhere near the Giants as GM. Even as a Cap guy I think he's run his course.

Last edited:
SOG (Same Old Giants) it's as apropos as SOJ (Same Old Jets). 10 years of lousy football in NY. Both teams seasons over before end of regular season baseball season is over. NY fans should sue the NFL for subjecting us to this garbage year after year. /media/kunena/emoticons/sad.png

Moose post=439405 said:
JohnnyFan post=439395 said:
Moose post=439391 said:
Knight post=439381 said:

That's fair.  Overpaying for Nate Solder still stings for many Giants fans so not sure if there was an OL on the market.  I wasn't big on Golladay.  Shep is perfect slot receiver.  But Slayton hasn't shown he's a #2 yet.  They simply 'had' to get a 1 or 2 WR.  Depending on Barkley to come back to 100% is too big a risk.  Many talked of Corey Davis who signed for a lot less than Golladay.  Did they sign the right one?  So far no.

The sad part is I think the next GM is already in the office.  I think its Kyle O'Brien.  He knows Judge from NE.  And he's 'new blood' as this is just his first year.  Then again he didn't go great in DET.  I definitely have made my distaste for Kevin Abrams and I want him nowhere near the Giants as GM. Even as a Cap guy I think he's run his course.

I'm with you on the dejected point.  I'm old enough where I can remember all 4 Super Bowl wins (and the Ravens L), but not anything before that really.  Which means I've been spoiled as an NFL fan because from the mid-80s until Coughlin left, the Giants were more often than not a pretty solid team, they won 4 Super Bowls (including two of the biggest upsets ever), went to 5, and by and large were a very well run organization.

Reese stepped into a great situation that Accorsi and others built.  By and large, the Giants drafted well for a long time period.  They actually had guys they drafted sign 2nd contracts.  They "hit" on middle round picks.  They made smart FA signings and usually when they let a guy leave for FA, it was time.  Reese absolutely nailed his first draft, he had a very good franchise QB in place, and an excellent HC.  

Reese started this mess with many bad moves that don't need to be repeated.  And Gettleman has only made it worse.  The Giants are no longer than steady, smart organization they were most of my youth.  When there would be a bad season or two here or there, but the situation would rectify quickly and they'd be good again, with perhaps a lower ceiling but a high floor.  They are a mess on many levels and need to renovate the front office across-the-board.

Giants with a W today.

Kind of funny they are pretty much 2 plays from being 3-1

After everyone left both for dead, Giants and Jets both show a pulse today. There may be a thread of hope yet in Gotham this season.

I'm not expecting it, just hoping.
If somehow the Giants can go to Dallas and get a win they'd be just a game out of first, and back to back road wins brings confidence, and might be good for the rest of the season. This game could be the turning point to their season.
Of course a loss here, and it's the same Old Giants.

One can always root for "New York's Team"--the Buffalo Bills or if you want to go west of the Hudson--Go Birds!

BrooklynRed post=440324 said:
One can always root for "New York's Team"--the Buffalo Bills or if you want to go west of the Hudson--Go Birds!
Then you may as well just be a front runner and root for whatever team looks like the best every year. /media/kunena/emoticons/wink.png /media/kunena/emoticons/smile.png

Last edited:
Back