World Cup

Another kick in the teeth, brought to you by US soccer.

The USSF remains another spots governing body that is run like weekend rec league.

Nepotism and red tape everywhere. Hey it is great to have a brother on the USSF board in your corner when hiring a coach.

No excuses why the US still has not developed at the very least a quality finisher (not to mention better man defenders).

We also should be past the point of being content with just making out of the group stage.

Rant off. Now get off my lawn…

Another kick in the teeth, brought to you by US soccer.

The USSF remains another spots governing body that is run like weekend rec league.

Nepotism and red tape everywhere. Hey it is great to have a brother on the USSF board in your corner when hiring a coach.

No excuses why the US still has not developed at the very least a quality finisher (not to mention better man defenders).

We also should be past the point of being content with just making out of the group stage.

Rant off. Now get off my lawn…
I agree with most of this, especially the nepotism involved, but to get from not qualifying to making it to the knock out games in just one WC cycle is definitely something not to sneeze at. Almost all of our core players are younger than 25, and Turner plays the one position where age isn’t a huge factor. My question continues to be the manager (and striker and CB).

It sucks to lose, but the better team won today and this was a huge step forward, so it’s hard to be that discouraged. Now, if in 4 years we’re celebrating anything less than a QF appearance, then yeah, I’m on board with feeling that way.

I agree with most of this, especially the nepotism involved, but to get from not qualifying to making it to the knock out games in just one WC cycle is definitely something not to sneeze at. Almost all of our core players are younger than 25, and Turner plays the one position where age isn’t a huge factor. My question continues to be the manager (and striker and CB).

It sucks to lose, but the better team won today and this was a huge step forward, so it’s hard to be that discouraged. Now, if in 4 years we’re celebrating anything less than a QF appearance, then yeah, I’m on board with feeling that way.

Great post. But while making the knockout stage after not qualifying at all last cycle may seem nice, it should come with a caveat that it was inexcusable for the US not to qualify in the first place.

Dutch were clinical, we had no cutting edge. Thought Turner was positioned poorly for their first. And never good when Daley Blind scores. We desperately need a reliable goal scorer. Too bad Pulisic couldn't have finished that very early chance. Lumping in crosses against those giants in the Dutch D was a waste of time. Does their goalie (6'8") have any NCAA BB eligibility? Like others have said, we should be optimistic about 2026.

Sad news about a great player and a great man whose love of the game was infectious. Saw Pele play in person with the Cosmos and was lucky to attend his final game more a celebration of Pele's career at a soldout Meadowlands which was a game between Brasil national team and a world all stars team. Pele played first half with the world team and second half with Brasil. The fans were there to honor/thank Pele. It was a great party with Samba in the stands.

Not a big fan of this starting XI. I’d rather they just keep CCV in and I’d rather have Ferreira in over Wright but what about Aaronson as a 9 and Pulisic as a 10? Plus #freegioreyna
Agree with your comments on the opening line up and you were proven correct.

Sad.I remember as a kid watching him play live for the Cosmos at Giants Stadium.

Then when I got to play soccer at the old Downing Stadium (it was a dump) knowing Pele once played there, was amazing for 13-14 year old me.

Pele will always be the greatest to me. Not to go on a tangent, I am aware of the Maradona vs. Pele debate. I still think Pele was better, and I also watched a lot of Maradona when he played for Napoli because my parents were immigrants from there.

Muhammad Ali once said something to the effect that he was the second most popular figure when he and Pele were out together.

While folks may not be happy with today's results as US versus Australia would have been Cinderella time, the better teams won today and will provide a better match up in the "Elite Eight"

While folks may not be happy with today's results as US versus Australia would have been Cinderella time, the better teams won today and will provide a better match up in the "Elite Eight"
If DiMaria isn’t back, wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Dutch win. They are a well rounded team with an excellent CB. Argentina can beat anyone but I don’t know how well they take a punch. I love Cuti Romero but VVD might be one of the few CBs better than him.

Bye Greggy

Don't let the door hit ya
Hope so. But Earnie Stewart is still an executive in USSF, and is close with Berhalter.

Time in now to make a strong pitch for an established foreign coach. Overwhelm him with money if that is what is needed.

Hope so. But Earnie Stewart is still an executive in USSF, and is close with Berhalter.

Time in now to make a strong pitch for an established foreign coach. Overwhelm him with money if that is what is needed.
I dont think Greg even wants another 4 years. Plus hosting the '26 WC I'm sure lots of coaches will want a shot at it. As for foreign vs. American coach I go back and forth there. I would like Jesse but I don't think he wants to leave a PL job.

I dont think Greg even wants another 4 years. Plus hosting the '26 WC I'm sure lots of coaches will want a shot at it. As for foreign vs. American coach I go back and forth there. I would like Jesse but I don't think he wants to leave a PL job.
This country needs a shot in the soccer arm (ok, that may sound silly).

A name head man, preferably one who can actually coach (not a buffoon like Klinsi), will change the trajectory of the program. I am pushing for a foreign coach because the US does not have anyone like that.

And if Marsh is the biggest American name, then we are all better off with him remaining at Leeds.

The USSF has the money and resources. They must use it.

This country needs a shot in the soccer arm (ok, that may sound silly).

A name head man, preferably one who can actually coach (not a buffoon like Klinsi), will change the trajectory of the program. I am pushing for a foreign coach because the US does not have anyone like that.

And if Marsh is the biggest American name, then we are all better off with him remaining at Leeds.

The USSF has the money and resources. They must use it.
Do you have a name?

What a display by Mbappe today and he's only 23 with one WC win to date. France showed the USA what is needed: the passing superbly allowed them to control the ball and the ability to finish.

Back