World Cup

What do folks think on the call of Japan's winning goal? Was it out before pass back to middle?
I’m German, you can’t call that out. You can’t just look at it from one angle, so I’m not mad about the call. Even if there’s grass between the ball and the line, the ball can still be in (which I think it was). Full credit to Japan.

As far as Germany, if any of these guys could have finished against Japan (or Spain, frankly, too), it would’ve never come down to whether that ball was in or out. Muller (even though I’ll always love him) is washed, Gundogen is overrated, Sane is not in his best form, Flick has Kimmich all over the pitch and the back 4 isn’t up to snuff. Even if they advanced, they weren’t winning a knockout game.

As much crap as Ozil gets, this team hasn’t been the same without him and, I know he’s retired from International football, but this team really could have used Kroos. This team needs a true striker too. Musiala is the future though, so, at least we got him.

really fun with the WC scheduling the last group games at the same time. was going back and forth between Fox and FS1. Tomorrow Brazil and Portugal play but they are guaranteed of moving on

Yeah, this is just another thing that will suck in 4 years. They're shifting from 8x4 team groups to 16x3 team groups. That means that going into the last round of pool play both teams will know exactly what they have to do to move on (top 2 teams from each group still move on). That's going to take away a ton of excitement/anxiety/fun and could potentially lead to collusion to manipulate the first round matchups in the knockout round. I would at least hope that the 3rd round games that determine who from group x plays whom from group y are simultaneous, and I assume they are. But does the world need 48 teams in the World Cup? I guess the ones that don't usually make feel so.

II forget owho it was but it was almost decided by cards as goal differential and points was tied. Thankfully we didn’t get there.

Fair Play tiebreaker (least yellow cards) is how South Korea got in over Uruguay after almost coming into play yesterday.

Korea scored 2 more goals than Uruguay. The fair play tiebreak was almost needed between Poland and Mexico.
My bad. During the game they mentioned that Luis the biter's yellow card was going to come into play and I made an assumption without looking at the expanded standings.

My bad. During the game they mentioned that Luis the biter's yellow card was going to come into play and I made an assumption without looking at the expanded standings.
I imagine that Uruguayan's are nice people but Suarez had me pulling for their elimination.

Yeah, this is just another thing that will suck in 4 years. They're shifting from 8x4 team groups to 16x3 team groups. That means that going into the last round of pool play both teams will know exactly what they have to do to move on (top 2 teams from each group still move on). That's going to take away a ton of excitement/anxiety/fun and could potentially lead to collusion to manipulate the first round matchups in the knockout round. I would at least hope that the 3rd round games that determine who from group x plays whom from group y are simultaneous, and I assume they are. But does the world need 48 teams in the World Cup? I guess the ones that don't usually make feel so.
Totally agree--this will dilute talent pool of teams selected. also if you only have 3 teams in a group one will get an advantage if they play game 1 and game 3 with more time to rest between those games. Also with increasing the knockout bracket to 32 teams they will be increasing the number of games; I guess the "rulers" of FIFA just want to increase the money they take in

No score prediction. This has been a crazy Cup. US wins and I win my sizable +330 bet.

Totally agree--this will dilute talent pool of teams selected. also if you only have 3 teams in a group one will get an advantage if they play game 1 and game 3 with more time to rest between those games. Also with increasing the knockout bracket to 32 teams they will be increasing the number of games; I guess the "rulers" of FIFA just want to increase the money they take in
Ireland….”So you’re saying there’s a chance?!?”

Not a big fan of this starting XI. I’d rather they just keep CCV in and I’d rather have Ferreira in over Wright but what about Aaronson as a 9 and Pulisic as a 10? Plus #freegioreyna

Desperate times/desperate measures…Aaronson in for Ferreira (who was useless) and Reyna in for Zimmerman and drop Adams back into a DM and play a 3-5-2. That last goal was a killer. We can’t finish, they can.

Tough game. Experience vs youth and experience wins. Hate to say it but Adams, Dest and Robinson all moments of lax/ball watching and the Dutch players took full advantage. How many caps combined between Memphis, Blind and Dumfries? That’s the difference. The Dutch will be a tough out.

I’m not gonna harp on the negative or Berhalter. The expectations rise now and there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be a very strong, experienced team playing on your home turf in ‘26. They need Pepi (or a guy like him) or a true goal scorer. Pulisic is a great player, but I see him as more of a 8/9 than a 10.

Back