Transfer Portal

Would think the school's decision on Pitino has been made by now. Either they've decided against him or they decided to pursue him and are just waiting to see if he would choose us over whoever else. Would obviously agree he's worth waiting for if the school has interest and thinks they have a chance to land him.

Fortunately I don't think any kids entering the portal in early-mid March will be looking to decide within a couple weeks of declaring their intent to transfer. We should have ample time to get a new coach in place well before players in the portal start making decisions
Players from roughly 100 schools will still be playing next week.

Yeah but what recruit/transfer is going to commit to SJU BEFORE a HC is chosen let alone before they know who is going to be on the staff?

Good news is I think many of these better one's will wait until Tourney is over to take visits etc and that should be plenty of time for SJU to find a new coach.
Anthony Glover is an example of one player who committed to us before we had a head coach. I can't think of any others.

If it is Pitino, we have to remember he thinks on a level above any coach St. John's has had in a long time. And about a thousand times above any of us. He will be looking to build a team capable of dancing immediately, and has the type of players in mind that can do that. I am sure he will meet quickly and individually with every player with eligibility left, and be honest about how they fit in with future plans. Then he will look at add from the transfer portal in a way that didn't happen under CMA. Meaning players that fit his style of play and will mesh well with each other.

If it is Pitino, we have to remember he thinks on a level above any coach St. John's has had in a long time. And about a thousand times above any of us. He will be looking to build a team capable of dancing immediately, and has the type of players in mind that can do that. I am sure he will meet quickly and individually with every player with eligibility left, and be honest about how they fit in with future plans. Then he will look at add from the transfer portal in a way that didn't happen under CMA. Meaning players that fit his style of play and will mesh well with each other.
The team we had this year was more than capable of going to the dance. They just lacked the right coach who knew how and when to add in the right ingredients to play on the floor at the same time.

Back