Transfer Portal Mania

Not sure if it deserves it's own thread or not but it's probably a fair time to really start discussing which players are still going to be around next year.

There are 8 players on the roster eligible to return next year. I expect no more than 4 of them to still be here. I have no inside info but here's how I guess it shakes out

Expect To Stay
Zuby - He's the only one on the team that has shown noticeable improvement as the season has progressed. His motor and defense are very valuable and though he'll never be Tim Duncan, his offensive game is progressing. He should always have a decent role here.

Likely To Stay
Dunlap - He's said that he knew when he signed up that he probably wouldn't be getting consistent playing time in year one and he probably got more burn here than he would have at any other power conference school. Don't think he entertains the thought of leaving before getting a full Pitino offseason under his belt.

Sim - Think he's probably another guy that didn't expect much PT in year one but could be disappointed at just how little he's gotten. His brother could throw a wrench in things if somebody else makes a hard run at both of them this offseason but I'd be surprised in Sim leaves.

50/50
RJ Luis - I'm probably closer to 40/60 here but I guess Pitino talking him up as a future pro and all that makes me think there's a chance he'll be back. Though his body language, lack of ability to practice, and low basketball IQ might just be enough to tip the scales in a mutual parting of ways.

Likely To Leave
Glenn Taylor Jr - I just can't see him sticking around for his final season of eligibility after his playing time has completely fallen off a cliff over the past month.

Expect To Leave
Drissa, Davis, Ayo - I don't think Pitino will want to have more than 13 guys on the roster again and won't be keeping guys that can't play at this level and don't have the potential to.

No matter what there are going to be a ton of new faces again next season that Pitino and staff are going to have to acclimate into the system quickly. That obviously didn't work this year but hopefully a full season of recruiting behind the scenes will yield better players for next season.
I expect Wilcher and Dunlap to stay. Dunlap leaving for non-basketball reasons worries me a tiny bit. I drank with Tim Doyle a few times back in college and he really didn’t like the atmosphere at St. John’s and wanted a more traditional campus experience.

Zuby I’d expect to stay but will be fielding good offers after what he’s shown. He could be VERY good next year.

Luis has really hurt his NIL chances with the injuries, poor body language, and inconsistent play. He’s played like a freshman. I think he really fits with what Pitino wants and will ultimately stay. If he leaves it will really hurt his draft stock.

I think Taylor stays. I think he loves most of his teammates and will be glad when two seniors move on. He will have a huge leg up at SF over whoever we bring in.

I’d like to see Ayo and Davis stay, but I think it might be wise for Davis to go get some minutes elsewhere. Maybe New Mexico after they get raided by high majors.

At this point, I don’t see anyone as a definite stay.

Taylor has seemed to have lost all confidence. I’m sure he expected to be a greater contributor on the team.

Luis has not seemed to have learned much and needs far more discipline to elevate his game.

Dunlap has gone from starter to nailed to the bench. Add to that his distance from home and I don’t see him being around next year.

Wilcher ….. not enough PT and not enough development to guarantee his stay. And I think Pitino may go to the portal for another PG. Not so sure his dad is so happy with the way things have turned out.

Davis and Ayo .. will they get much PT if they stay?

Zuby is the only player I have some confidence will be returning but who knows.

We’re the trasfer rule different, I may have a different thoughts but will NIL, money talks. It may turn out that Pitino may be looking to replace more next year then this past year and we will be starting all over again.

Last edited:
What's up with Garwey Dual? Only played 10 minutes. We were in on him this offseason. He'd certainly be an upgrade from an athlete and defense standpoint.

Someone just told me he is not on their big list, we’ll see
As an expert on Zed... (I've seen about 3 of his games the past 3 years- so I'm qualified) - he doesn't move the "Roster Upgrade" needle.

A 6'8 PF...? Career 7ppg/5rpg (solid junior season of almost 11ppg/8rpg in the BIG)... maybe if he's our 4 best Transfer my mind would change.

Amazing to cross-search some of these guys in the top 15-20 & see very similar #s to our own freshman. I like the idea of getting the touted HS guys (e.g. Zuby) after a freshman or sophomore year.

Back