The NCAA Tournament Thread

I didn't even see the push but saw him on the court. I thought okay warning, but the push isn't a technical? If you receive a warning, do you turn the ball over to the other team?
Not killing myself with research but as far as I can tell, the ref's options are (a) do nothing; (b) give a warning (no impact in possession, no shots), or give a technical (two shots and the ball).

"We're just giving them the ball" is not a choice.

No. A bench warning does not initiate a change of possession.
Not killing myself with research but as far as I can tell, the ref's options are (a) do nothing; (b) give a warning (no impact in possession, no shots), or give a technical (two shots and the ball).

"We're just giving them the ball" is not a choice.
Thanks both of you. That's just makes yesterday's exchange let's just say, bizarre. Not that it would have changed anything as the outcome was not in doubt.

Exactly. It's either nothing or it's a T - and it was a T. So it should have been 2 shots and the ball for Purdue. I couldn't figure out in real time how "we're just giving them the ball" was an option and I still can't. Glad it isn't just me!
Just saw it again. I guess there is a chance they ruled him out of bounds as Hurley had a foot out of bounds when he touched his player.

Still think the ref’s didn’t know exactly what to do.

Just saw it again. I guess there is a chance they ruled him out of bounds as Hurley had a foot out of bounds when he touched his player.

A fun hypothetical is thinking how many T's would the UConn bench have had to get for Purdue to make it a close game. I think your right about the refs. I'm rarely in favor of dishing out T's (the double T is the worst) but I don't think anyone would have complained if Hurley got T'ed up there.

That is a fascinating theory and may very well be the right answer. Kudos to you!!

To Marillac and carmine:

I think the call was a formal warning on Hurley for being out of the box.

About 10-15 years ago, they decided to enforce the "out of the box" tech more than they had in the past. The result was T's flying left and right, for a guy barley moving away. So, they agreed to hand out warnings, before T'ing a coach up, for being out of the box.

Pitino got called for that at Nova this year, and I've seen it a few other times, as well.
I would understand the formal warning if he was JUST out of the box. But he made contact —intentionally — with a player. That’s a tech. I’ve seen opposing players purposely run into coaches who were on the court to get that tech.

Imagine Spencer running down the Court and Hurley boosts him for a dunk? It’s the same thing.

Back